HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Don't think so. It would depend on what programs they can get into. Most coaches don't want a bunch of 5th year guys as it impacts on next years team when they all leave. My personal opinion is that a 5th year guy MUST be in a post-grad program; I don't like the idea of someone just staying to play hockey.

AUS Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Smu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Don't think so. It would depend on what programs they can get into. Most coaches don't want a bunch of 5th year guys as it impacts on next years team when they all leave. My personal opinion is that a 5th year guy MUST be in a post-grad program; I don't like the idea of someone just staying to play hockey.
Who do the Huskies lose this year?
Will Bloodoff and Peters be around when the Huskies host in 2 years tine?

As for Acadia, I believe Owens is done, but I think they will have all other impact players back?

RED ARMY EAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post

As for Acadia, I believe Owens is done, but I think they will have all other impact players back?
This was Bloodoff's 4th year, so he only has 1 left (if he returns).

This was Peters' 3rd year, so he could be here for 2 more (likely 1 for sure).

Tanakai is done - this was his 5th year.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 10:01 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:

I don't speak for Acadia, but I think they will lose Owens, Morin, Jenner, Mosher, Gaynor, Ekelman, Brown, and perhaps McIntyre, Girman, Ridgeway ???

Old
03-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Rob

I'd wouldn't mind seeing a couple of 5th year players. Especially on the D as that is where we will be losing the most.

I don't think UNB would have won last year without Pridham and Swan in the lineup.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Rob

Interesting to note that both Carleton and Windsor are in the CIS nationals. We got to see both of them at the AUC back in September.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:47 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Nick MacNeil looks to have moved on to the pro level, as he is showing under ECHL transactions for Mar 18, joining the Bakersfield Condors.
This is a major hole to fill for UNB!

Old
03-18-2014, 06:59 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Gone for sure:
Chris Culligan- Texas (AHL) 5
Nick MacNeil- Bakersfeild (ECHL) 4
Shea Kewin- graduation 5 (transfer from Dal)
Charles Lavigne- graduation 5 (transfer from STU)
Tim Priamo- graduation 5 ( transfer from Guelph)

Culligan and MacNeil are top 6 forwards, the other 3 aren't impact players.
There are bound to be a couple more move on, as Shutron is most likely done and Desnoyer also has a year left, but will he be back? If so, we will be looking at a pretty young backend.

Old
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
AUS Fan

I think Murray will be a very good D-Man in this league, as will Petgrave.

Old
03-19-2014, 04:36 PM
seniorC

Curious how Culligan and McNeil receive final grades, as they aren't on campus. Obviously some work could be done via correspondence, but for classes that require you to be present, labs, group work and presentations, how could they possibly earn their mark.

UNB should likely have a couple flagship recruits I bet.

seniorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorC View Post
Curious how Culligan and McNeil receive final grades, as they aren't on campus. Obviously some work could be done via correspondence, but for classes that require you to be present, labs, group work and presentations, how could they possibly earn their mark.

UNB should likely have a couple flagship recruits I bet.
The players work that out with the prof. and faculty prior to leaving. Most of the work is done while there away and emailed in. Exams are deferred to when they return (if they're playing deep into the playoffs).

This is presented to the faculty as a 'career' opportunity rather than a 'hobby'. The Arts & Business faculties has been understanding and supportive.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:24 PM
RED ARMY EAST

I wonder if there are any AUS coaches in Saskatoon, other than Burns of coarse?

Old
03-22-2014, 07:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I wonder if there are any AUS coaches in Saskatoon, other than Burns of coarse?
They had coaches meetings out there this week...so I would suspect/hope most of them made it out.

Sounds like it is almost a certainty that it will be an 8 team/single elimination tournament next year.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:58 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
They had coaches meetings out there this week...so I would suspect/hope most of them made it out.
With the entire GG's team suspended by the university, including coach Paiement, did UOttawa have a representative at the coach's meetings? anybody know?

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:13 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:

Sounds like it is almost a certainty that it will be an 8 team/single elimination tournament next year.
That's a long way to come, especially CanadaWest for maybe 1 game.
How would the teams be determined?
3 AUS
4 OUA
2 CanadaWest

Old
03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
That's a long way to come, especially CanadaWest for maybe 1 game.
How would the teams be determined?
3 AUS
4 OUA
2 CanadaWest
That's 9 teams...

Ideally I would like to see OUA get 3 every year and CW/AUS get 2 each...with the host team's conference getting the extra berth.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:

With four champions (CW, AUS, OUA-East & OUA-West) you need 4 more. Host, CW-runner-up, OUA-Wildcard, AUS-runner-up.

The four champions are #1-#4. You then work the seeds to avoid games between the same conference. Using this year as an example.

#1-ALB, #2-ACD, #3-WIN, #4-McG, #5-CAL, #6-USK, #7-CAR, #8-SMU

Wednesday
#1 ALB vs #8 SMU (CW-AUS)
#2 ACD vs #7 CAR (AUS-OUA)

Thursday
#3-WIN vs #6-USK (OUA-CW)
#4-McG vs #5-CAL (OUA-CW)

Friday - Banquet

Saturday
#1-ALB vs #4-McG
#2-ACD vs #3-WIN
* - are brackets pre-set (like NCAA basketball) or re-aligned to be high vs low? Probably pre-set so people would know what game they want to travel to see.

Sunday
#1-ALB vs #2-ACD

So - not really different from a regular season mid-week game followed by a double-header weekend.

Given the results we had this year, the outcome would have been like this.
Saturday
#1-ALB vs #4-McG
#7-CAR vs #6-USK

Sunday
#1-ALB vs #7-USK

I can see losers being sent home right away to save on hotels - no reason to keep them in town for 4 extra days.

Pros - more teams, better playoff format. Host Conference can get one extra team in the tournament.
Cons - cost of having more teams for fewer games, host only gets 1 guaranteed game on Thursday night.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
With four champions (CW, AUS, OUA-East & OUA-West) you need 4 more. Host, CW-runner-up, OUA-Wildcard, AUS-runner-up.

The four champions are #1-#4. You then work the seeds to avoid games between the same conference. Using this year as an example.

#1-ALB, #2-ACD, #3-WIN, #4-McG, #5-CAL, #6-USK, #7-CAR, #8-SMU

Wednesday
#1 ALB vs #8 SMU (CW-AUS)
#2 ACD vs #7 CAR (AUS-OUA)

Thursday
#3-WIN vs #6-USK (OUA-CW)
#4-McG vs #5-CAL (OUA-CW)

Friday - Banquet

Saturday
#1-ALB vs #4-McG
#2-ACD vs #3-WIN
* - are brackets pre-set (like NCAA basketball) or re-aligned to be high vs low? Probably pre-set so people would know what game they want to travel to see.

Sunday
#1-ALB vs #2-ACD

So - not really different from a regular season mid-week game followed by a double-header weekend.

Given the results we had this year, the outcome would have been like this.
Saturday
#1-ALB vs #4-McG
#7-CAR vs #6-USK

Sunday
#1-ALB vs #7-USK

I can see losers being sent home right away to save on hotels - no reason to keep them in town for 4 extra days.

Pros - more teams, better playoff format. Host Conference can get one extra team in the tournament.
Cons - cost of having more teams for fewer games, host only gets 1 guaranteed game on Thursday night.
Basically, you go from 6 to 8 by giving all 3 conferences a wild-card instead of rotating it. The schedule will stay as-is, i.e. 2 games Thursday through Saturday and the final on Sunday.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

It would kind of discount the importance of conference championships...yes, the conference winner will get a better seed, but as we have seen time and time again, once you get to the tournament anybody can beat anybody and seeding isn't really much of a factor at all....you still have to beat 3 good teams to win.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
are brackets pre-set (like NCAA basketball) or re-aligned to be high vs low?
It would be better if teams were re-seeded after the 1st round, but if I had to bet we will see it treated as 2 separate pools of 4 and not 1 pool of 8...so the brackets would be pre-set and potential match-ups would be known in advance.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I know the other sports who have an 8 team tournament (ie/ basketball) have a losers bracket for 3rd/5th/7th place...but I can't imagine that working for hockey...can't imagine teams would be too interested in that. Maybe a bronze medal game but that would be it. I suppose you could use your schedule and use Friday to have the Wed/Thurs losers play...but really, what would be the point of finding out 5th/7th place? It would only be used to get an extra game in and by that point either 1 or both of the teams probably wouldn't be too interested and you would get a Finland/USA bronze medal game all over again.

Old
03-25-2014, 09:42 PM
cishockeyfan

Im not a fan of the 8 team tournament at all. Yes its great you will always have true semifinals but its just too many teams making a National Championship. Completely making the conference Championchip shall we say unimportant, heck two of 3 conferences every season now will have a team at the nationals that doesnt even have to make it to their conference final.

If each conference gets a wildcard spot and champion in a year where an oua team host the university cup they may get up to 4 teams.

In another opinion i don't like that the Aus decided to go with a best of 5 semifinal as well as a final this year. Great for the fans, and income potential, but bad for the players stamina and health going to the university cup. Originally the format was they would do a best of 5 final for the Championship if the aus got 1 berth at NATS. If it was a season where the AUS had the wild card, they made the semifinals best of 5 and when the 2 teams played in the AUS final it would be best of 3 cause they were both going anyway such as 2009 SMU/UNB

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:14 PM
CIS Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Basically, you go from 6 to 8 by giving all 3 conferences a wild-card instead of rotating it. The schedule will stay as-is, i.e. 2 games Thursday through Saturday and the final on Sunday.
Just spoke to someone who heard it will be as listed here.

CW 2
OUA/QC 3
AUS 2
+ Host (so SFX next year and SMU year after)

-Thursday 4th vs. 5th and 1st vs. 8th
-Friday 3rd vs. 6th and 2nd vs. 7th
*Host could flip the side of the draw that is played on Friday (assuming the Host wishes to play Friday) if their ranking has them scheduled in the 4-5 or 1-8 games.
-Saturday (late afternoon/evening) Semi-Finals .. as basketball semi-finals are in the afternoon (on TV)
-Sunday Bronze (afternoon and this game is now in for sure) and Gold (evening as both basketball finals are in the afternoon)

CIS Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIS Supporter View Post
Just spoke to someone who heard it will be as listed here.

CW 2
OUA/QC 3
AUS 2
+ Host (so SFX next year and SMU year after)

-Thursday 4th vs. 5th and 1st vs. 8th
-Friday 3rd vs. 6th and 2nd vs. 7th
*Host could flip the side of the draw that is played on Friday (assuming the Host wishes to play Friday) if their ranking has them scheduled in the 4-5 or 1-8 games.
-Saturday (late afternoon/evening) Semi-Finals .. as basketball semi-finals are in the afternoon (on TV)
-Sunday Bronze (afternoon and this game is now in for sure) and Gold (evening as both basketball finals are in the afternoon)
I don't think having the top half play on Thu and Bottom half on Friday is the way to go. It means the #2 seed has to play 3-in-3. I'd swap the 4/5 game for the 2/7. But, it will likely change with the rank of the host and if they choose to play Friday, which is likely.

As for seeding the four champions 1-4, the rest will likely be moved around a bit to avoid intra-conf games (as best possible).

I'd rather drop to 5 teams and go for a round robin/Memorial Cup style tournament

Old
03-27-2014, 06:27 PM
AUS Fan

It matters not what WE want. SN has spoken and THEY want this format. I forgot if I mentioned this before, but SN wants a "Championship Sunday" where both Hockey finals and both Basketball finals will be played to an audience of millions of rabid CIS fans.

As noted above, all three conferences are represented by the 2 finalists. OUA gets the play-in winner as would the AUS if one of the finalists is the host.