HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Mactavish Report Card...

View Poll Results: Mac-T Report Card For This Season...
(A) 90-100% 7 3.57%
(B) 80-89% 36 18.37%
(C) 70-79% 67 34.18%
(D) 60-69% 54 27.55%
(F) 0-59% 32 16.33%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
crackercats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoll 16 View Post
I'm also not a fan of his overplaying of Roloson, Markkanen's one of the better backups in the league IMO and deserves his share of time. Add in the fact that Roloson hasn't played this much in his career and is getting up there in age leads me to think this is a mistake on MacT's part. Torres and Lupul look uninterested out there most of the time, whether you put this on Torres and Lupul or direct a bit of the criticism towards MacT is anyone's choice.
1. This could just be me, but why is everyone in this city so quick to beg for Jussi Markannen? I believe Roli can handle as many as 65-70 games, but forget that. Let's talk about Jussi, and why MacT doesn't trust him.

Jussi won his first start of the year, an easy game against Vancover. Then we played him against Phoenix and then St. Louis, and he cost us both these games, letting in soft goal after soft goal. He played well against Carolina, but in another game against Vancouver let 6 goals, 3 of which were terrible. This Tuesday he was put in, and played ok, but if you saw the game, the first goal was a save I could have made, and both shootout goals, although you can never blame a goalie in a shootout, were weak. Jussi wasn't even ready for the Mccamond shot and should have poke-checked comrie a couple times. I'm being nitpicky, and you can do the same with any goalie, but my point is that a backup needs to make the saves he's supposed to make. He needs to not lose the game for you. Jussi is very athletic and makes some unreal saves, but he lets in a lot of softies.

Also, the best part of Roli's game is rebound control. He knows he to let the pucks stick to him when they hit him. The scheme the oilers use when they go into defensive mode allows for a lot of shots from the outside, which is no issue when rebounds are controlled. Roli is perfect for this type of game, but Jussi usually gives up a costly rebound or two.

I'm not saying Roloson is like Kipper or Luongo, but we are much better off with him than Jussi in net on any given night.

2. I'll agree Torres has had a bad season, but the guy cares, and he's trying to turn it around all the time.

3. Joffrey Lupul has looked anything but uninterested in the last 45 games. His effort has improved tenfold and his work along the boards is getting better every game. He back checks now. He hits when he gets the opportunity. He forechecks. He does all these things he didn't do in games 1-20. This is a credit to Joffrey and a credit to MacT. The goals will come next year, and remember, he's probably gonna have 20 this year, which isn't terrible.

crackercats is offline   Reply With Quote