HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Caps/Sharks: 2/21/2007

Old
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its worth noting that Hanlon knows what he is talking about in this area. I think its also worth mentioning that there are limits to what he is saying.

Ovechkin plays with Zubrus and Clark and that is his mindset. To put a second line center who is not even an established NHL player just makes no sense.

On the other hand if Zubrus is not on the team or if two of Ovechkin's centers for life are on the team at the same time, Zubrus-Datsyuk, choices have to be made.

On this subject I go with Hanlon who is educated in russian hockey at an intimate level.
them Master

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
HockeyCritter

At what point do you not cater to the one?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I think everyone including Semin understand that the 2nd line centers we have are not who we want him playing with longterm.
Until Fehr was brought up and put on his line, you can say the same thing about his RW.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Until Fehr was brought up and put on his line, you can say the same thing about his RW.
Exactly right...and I think the school is out on Fehr still as a true scoring winger at the NHL level.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its worth noting that Hanlon knows what he is talking about in this area. I think its also worth mentioning that there are limits to what he is saying.
Yes, I noted the caveat.
Quote:
Ovechkin plays with Zubrus and Clark and that is his mindset. To put a second line center who is not even an established NHL player just makes no sense.
Who said anything about taking Zubrus off the top line? If you're tinkering with the top line then Clark would come off and Fehr should get a shot. There's no way the Caps should even think about taking Zubrus off the top line while he's still on the team. They have no one else that could even pretend to pass as a NHL first-line center. That's why I've continually maintained that they need to get back a young scoring-line center in return if they were to deal Zubrus. That's a tall order but playing out the year with Beech or Laich as his center is going to be ugly. If you guys think he's slumping now...
Quote:
On the other hand if Zubrus is not on the team or if two of Ovechkin's centers for life are on the team at the same time, Zubrus-Datsyuk, choices have to be made.

On this subject I go with Hanlon who is educated in russian hockey at an intimate level.
I don't doubt that Hanlon knows his Russian hockey psychology but I do doubt the use of making such a statement when his center could be on the way out.

I don't really have a problem with Hanlon saying that the top line needs to find a way out of its funk (they do) but the whole linemates for life thing seems ill-timed and potentially undercuts GMGM's negotiations with Zubrus.

EDIT: It looks like Clark's injury might force a change, regardless.

Last edited by Langway: 02-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old
02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Yes, I noted the caveat.

Who said anything about taking Zubrus off the top line? If you're tinkering with the top line then Clark would come off and Fehr should get a shot. There's no way the Caps should even think about taking Zubrus off the top line while he's still on the team. They have no one else that could even pretend to pass as a NHL first-line center. That's why I've continually maintained that they need to get back a young scoring-line center in return if they were to deal Zubrus. That's a tall order but playing out the year with Beech or Laich as his center is going to be ugly. If you guys think he's slumping now...

I don't doubt that Hanlon knows his Russian hockey psychology but I do doubt the use of making such a statement when his center could be on the way out.

I don't really have a problem with Hanlon saying that the top line needs to find a way out of its funk (they do) but the whole linemates for life thing seems ill-timed and potentially undercuts GMGM's negotiations with Zubrus.

EDIT: It looks like Clark's injury might force a change, regardless.

Honestly, the entire team needs to find its way of their funk ……. Sutherby’s goal last night was the first one that I remember being scored like that in a long time.

As I said up-thread, this team is clearly over-thinking every move --- that one/two second delay is enough for a skilled team to pounce and convert.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
As I said up-thread, this team is clearly over-thinking every move --- that one/two second delay is enough for a skilled team to pounce and convert.
Either over-thinking or under-thinking...I'm not sure which.