HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Old
03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Will he be brought up at some Point during this season?

I mean, his intention was to go back to Europé, since Detroit never gave him a chance in the big League, it would suck losing him.

2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 View Post

I mean, his intention was to go back to Europé, since Detroit never gave him a chance in the big League, it would suck losing him.
Umm ... you mean the so-called "intention" he's denied while acknowledging that he is under contract in North America next season so leaving would jeopardize IIHF play?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Matte99

Looks like he might get a chance in the big club if there are injuries.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900
You guys are really lucky, I've been a huge Jarnkrok supporter from day 1. I understand he was drafted in 2010 and I understand he had a slow start to the season, but that's because we bring guys up very slow here and because it took him so long to come over. This guy's going to be a stud and Trotz is going to love him. Hakan Andersson, the guy who's found every late round European gem we've drafted since Tomas Holmstrom has been so big on this guy comparing him to Hank. I doubt he'll be Zetterberg good, but this guy's going to be good, and should be NHL ready by next season. I think he's got low first line center/high second line center upside and can be utilized in every situation. This trade's going to make Holland look SO bad. I hope he forms a lethal combination with Forsberg. Congrats guys.(I like your franchise and team and like them more than any other team in the west, so I he does well with you.)

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 View Post

I don't think there was any real basis for that, Holland, Andersson, Khan, his agent have all denied it. Just poor asset management by our GM.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Should he be called up to Nashville sometime before the end of the season, I fully expect there to be foam Captain Hook hands worn in the stands for the game.

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
RaiderDoug

I've been following him with the Ads, and i'm very excited about this guy.

With Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and hopefully we can land a difference maker in this year's draft - we might finally have a top line that can score.

If Wilson and Smith continue to progress, we might even have 2 lines!

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:37 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Blum, the current AHLer and Beck the current tweener who hasn't made himself indispensable at the NHL level and is not leading his AHL team in scoring? Then Sissons is really being held back in his first professional season.
Yes, Blum just came back to play in Milwaukee. I was underwhelmed. Beck has not played well recently. He doesn't seem to be on the same page with his linemates. He passes the puck behind people or he hangs on to it for 10 or 15 seconds in the O-zone before losing it.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I've been following him with the Ads, and i'm very excited about this guy.

With Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and hopefully we can land a difference maker in this year's draft - we might finally have a top line that can score.

If Wilson and Smith continue to progress, we might even have 2 lines!
By all the projections I've read, Jarnkrok will do well to be a second line center. I'd love to see him excel past that, but I think hoping for a legit first line center out of him is a bit optimistic.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
By all the projections I've read, Jarnkrok will do well to be a second line center. I'd love to see him excel past that, but I think hoping for a legit first line center out of him is a bit optimistic.
Looking around most teams in the league, very few top lines have three players who are widely considered "legit top line players". I do agree though, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and whoever we draft this year are much more likely to be good 2nd liners than good 1st liners. But then again, we barely have any legit 2nd liners on this team, so three more would be a welcome sight.

I hope at least one turns into a top liner. All three is way too optimistic for my taste.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:03 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Jarnkrok being projected to be a legit second line center just about anywhere else makes him a candidate to be the best Preds center prospect of all time.

Beggars can't be choosers - I'm excited.

Old
03-19-2014, 12:07 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Jarnkrok being projected to be a legit second line center just about anywhere else makes him a candidate to be the best Preds center prospect of all time.
Ken Holland projects him to be a bottom 6 player

What is the difference between a legit 2nd line center and a 2nd line center?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:45 AM
AintLifeGrand

Probably a 60-70 pt ceiling sustained over 5 or so years

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Ken Holland projects him to be a bottom 6 player

What is the difference between a legit 2nd line center and a 2nd line center?
A 2nd line center is any of the junk we've been trotting out for years. Trotz's mad line combos could have someone like Spaling centering the 2nd line. I wouldn't call him a legit 2nd line center though.

A legit 2nd line center is a guy who actually fills the roll expected by a 2nd line center.

We'll see who's right - David Poile or Ken Holland.

Old
03-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
A legit 2nd line center is a guy who actually fills the roll expected by a 2nd line center.
Circular reference - see "reference, circular"

Reference, circular - see "circular reference"

I usually see the difference between a #1C and a #2C as being performance under pressure. A good-quality #2C is a guy who can produce points in that 0.65-0.8 PPG range that the top 15-45 centers in the NHL regularly do (or better) under somewhat adverse conditions with acceptable linemates, and can be helpful defensively as needed. A #1C is someone who can do the same or even better while matched up against the opposition's best defensive players - and can defend just as well right back.
("But wait!", I hear some of you say. "Doesn't that mean you consider David Legwand to be a 'good #2C'?" To which I reply "Why yes. Yes I do. And I think that characterization is completely justified.")

It looks a lot like Iron Hook will be able to manage the production levels required. The remaining question would be whether or not he can keep doing it under serious defensive pressure. I'd want to see him do that in the AHL (when folks are planning games around him) before tossing him into the NHL, but that's just a vague idea on my part; I'll let the experts handle his development.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Probably a 60-70 pt ceiling sustained over 5 or so years
Is that your definition of a second liner?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

For this franchise, that's a definition of "put his number in the RAFTERS!".

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:10 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Any 60 point player is a 1st liner

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Potentially. I'd call them a first liner if they can do that under major defensive pressure.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
This. If Jarnkrok could even be a consistent 40-50 point guy on the second line, I'd be pleased. Here's hoping that even those expectations are realistic.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
This. If Jarnkrok could even be a consistent 40-50 point guy on the second line, I'd be pleased. Here's hoping that even those expectations are realistic.
Why wouldn't they be? He was considered one of Detroit's best prospects, and has been spoken highly of ever since being drafted. He's shown nothing in the AHL to suggest that projecting him as a top 6 center is at all unrealistic.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Potentially. I'd call them a first liner if they can do that under major defensive pressure.
Just looking statistically, only 58 players even hit that mark in '11-'12, well less than the theoretical number of first liners in the league.

For centers, only 21 hit 60 or more that same year.

If you factor in PPG rather than raw points, the numbers increase some, but 60 is a pretty good dividing line between first and second line production IMO.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Why wouldn't they be? He was considered one of Detroit's best prospects, and has been spoken highly of ever since being drafted. He's shown nothing in the AHL to suggest that projecting him as a top 6 center is at all unrealistic.
Just that there's no guarantees when it comes to player development. Based on what I know of him, I think it's a reasonable production estimate, but whoever knows how he'll pan out.

Old
03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Just looking statistically, only 58 players even hit that mark in '11-'12, well less than the theoretical number of first liners in the league.

For centers, only 21 hit 60 or more that same year.

If you factor in PPG rather than raw points, the numbers increase some, but 60 is a pretty good dividing line between first and second line production IMO.
For me, the dividing line is less about raw point production and more about whether or not that production is sustainable when opposing coaches are planning their game around shutting you down. If you can be shut down with a little extra focus, then IMO you're probably better off on the second line... or on a team that has multiple second lines so that there's too many guys to be able to plan against them all.

Old
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
For me, the dividing line is less about raw point production and more about whether or not that production is sustainable when opposing coaches are planning their game around shutting you down. If you can be shut down with a little extra focus, then IMO you're probably better off on the second line... or on a team that has multiple second lines so that there's too many guys to be able to plan against them all.
Understandable enough. I mean, I don't really consider Valtteri Flippula to be a first line center, even though his production in '11-'12 would have placed him in that range. All things considered though, unless resorting to subjective measurements, 60 is still probably one of the better dividing lines to use.