HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
  #251
2015
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Will he be brought up at some Point during this season?

I mean, his intention was to go back to Europé, since Detroit never gave him a chance in the big League, it would suck losing him.

2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:02 PM
  #252
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 View Post
Will he be brought up at some Point during this season?

I mean, his intention was to go back to Europé, since Detroit never gave him a chance in the big League, it would suck losing him.
Umm ... you mean the so-called "intention" he's denied while acknowledging that he is under contract in North America next season so leaving would jeopardize IIHF play?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
  #253
Matte99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Looks like he might get a chance in the big club if there are injuries.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
  #254
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 900
You guys are really lucky, I've been a huge Jarnkrok supporter from day 1. I understand he was drafted in 2010 and I understand he had a slow start to the season, but that's because we bring guys up very slow here and because it took him so long to come over. This guy's going to be a stud and Trotz is going to love him. Hakan Andersson, the guy who's found every late round European gem we've drafted since Tomas Holmstrom has been so big on this guy comparing him to Hank. I doubt he'll be Zetterberg good, but this guy's going to be good, and should be NHL ready by next season. I think he's got low first line center/high second line center upside and can be utilized in every situation. This trade's going to make Holland look SO bad. I hope he forms a lethal combination with Forsberg. Congrats guys.(I like your franchise and team and like them more than any other team in the west, so I he does well with you.)

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:02 AM
  #255
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 View Post
Will he be brought up at some Point during this season?

I mean, his intention was to go back to Europé, since Detroit never gave him a chance in the big League, it would suck losing him.
I don't think there was any real basis for that, Holland, Andersson, Khan, his agent have all denied it. Just poor asset management by our GM.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
  #256
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred
 
jwhouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Should he be called up to Nashville sometime before the end of the season, I fully expect there to be foam Captain Hook hands worn in the stands for the game.

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
  #257
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
I've been following him with the Ads, and i'm very excited about this guy.

With Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and hopefully we can land a difference maker in this year's draft - we might finally have a top line that can score.

If Wilson and Smith continue to progress, we might even have 2 lines!

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:37 PM
  #258
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Blum, the current AHLer and Beck the current tweener who hasn't made himself indispensable at the NHL level and is not leading his AHL team in scoring? Then Sissons is really being held back in his first professional season.
Yes, Blum just came back to play in Milwaukee. I was underwhelmed. Beck has not played well recently. He doesn't seem to be on the same page with his linemates. He passes the puck behind people or he hangs on to it for 10 or 15 seconds in the O-zone before losing it.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:54 PM
  #259
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I've been following him with the Ads, and i'm very excited about this guy.

With Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and hopefully we can land a difference maker in this year's draft - we might finally have a top line that can score.

If Wilson and Smith continue to progress, we might even have 2 lines!
By all the projections I've read, Jarnkrok will do well to be a second line center. I'd love to see him excel past that, but I think hoping for a legit first line center out of him is a bit optimistic.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:38 PM
  #260
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
By all the projections I've read, Jarnkrok will do well to be a second line center. I'd love to see him excel past that, but I think hoping for a legit first line center out of him is a bit optimistic.
Looking around most teams in the league, very few top lines have three players who are widely considered "legit top line players". I do agree though, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, and whoever we draft this year are much more likely to be good 2nd liners than good 1st liners. But then again, we barely have any legit 2nd liners on this team, so three more would be a welcome sight.

I hope at least one turns into a top liner. All three is way too optimistic for my taste.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:03 AM
  #261
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
By all the projections I've read, Jarnkrok will do well to be a second line center. I'd love to see him excel past that, but I think hoping for a legit first line center out of him is a bit optimistic.
Jarnkrok being projected to be a legit second line center just about anywhere else makes him a candidate to be the best Preds center prospect of all time.

Beggars can't be choosers - I'm excited.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:07 AM
  #262
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Jarnkrok being projected to be a legit second line center just about anywhere else makes him a candidate to be the best Preds center prospect of all time.
Ken Holland projects him to be a bottom 6 player

What is the difference between a legit 2nd line center and a 2nd line center?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:45 AM
  #263
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,713
vCash: 500
Probably a 60-70 pt ceiling sustained over 5 or so years

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
  #264
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Ken Holland projects him to be a bottom 6 player

What is the difference between a legit 2nd line center and a 2nd line center?
A 2nd line center is any of the junk we've been trotting out for years. Trotz's mad line combos could have someone like Spaling centering the 2nd line. I wouldn't call him a legit 2nd line center though.

A legit 2nd line center is a guy who actually fills the roll expected by a 2nd line center.

We'll see who's right - David Poile or Ken Holland.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 09:58 AM
  #265
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
A legit 2nd line center is a guy who actually fills the roll expected by a 2nd line center.
Circular reference - see "reference, circular"

Reference, circular - see "circular reference"


I usually see the difference between a #1C and a #2C as being performance under pressure. A good-quality #2C is a guy who can produce points in that 0.65-0.8 PPG range that the top 15-45 centers in the NHL regularly do (or better) under somewhat adverse conditions with acceptable linemates, and can be helpful defensively as needed. A #1C is someone who can do the same or even better while matched up against the opposition's best defensive players - and can defend just as well right back.
("But wait!", I hear some of you say. "Doesn't that mean you consider David Legwand to be a 'good #2C'?" To which I reply "Why yes. Yes I do. And I think that characterization is completely justified.")

It looks a lot like Iron Hook will be able to manage the production levels required. The remaining question would be whether or not he can keep doing it under serious defensive pressure. I'd want to see him do that in the AHL (when folks are planning games around him) before tossing him into the NHL, but that's just a vague idea on my part; I'll let the experts handle his development.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
  #266
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Probably a 60-70 pt ceiling sustained over 5 or so years
Is that your definition of a second liner?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
  #267
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred
 
jwhouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
For this franchise, that's a definition of "put his number in the RAFTERS!".

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:10 PM
  #268
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,179
vCash: 500
Any 60 point player is a 1st liner

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM
  #269
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Any 60 point player is a 1st liner
Potentially. I'd call them a first liner if they can do that under major defensive pressure.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
  #270
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Any 60 point player is a 1st liner
This. If Jarnkrok could even be a consistent 40-50 point guy on the second line, I'd be pleased. Here's hoping that even those expectations are realistic.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:51 PM
  #271
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
This. If Jarnkrok could even be a consistent 40-50 point guy on the second line, I'd be pleased. Here's hoping that even those expectations are realistic.
Why wouldn't they be? He was considered one of Detroit's best prospects, and has been spoken highly of ever since being drafted. He's shown nothing in the AHL to suggest that projecting him as a top 6 center is at all unrealistic.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
  #272
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Potentially. I'd call them a first liner if they can do that under major defensive pressure.
Just looking statistically, only 58 players even hit that mark in '11-'12, well less than the theoretical number of first liners in the league.

For centers, only 21 hit 60 or more that same year.

If you factor in PPG rather than raw points, the numbers increase some, but 60 is a pretty good dividing line between first and second line production IMO.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
  #273
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Why wouldn't they be? He was considered one of Detroit's best prospects, and has been spoken highly of ever since being drafted. He's shown nothing in the AHL to suggest that projecting him as a top 6 center is at all unrealistic.
Just that there's no guarantees when it comes to player development. Based on what I know of him, I think it's a reasonable production estimate, but whoever knows how he'll pan out.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
  #274
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Just looking statistically, only 58 players even hit that mark in '11-'12, well less than the theoretical number of first liners in the league.

For centers, only 21 hit 60 or more that same year.

If you factor in PPG rather than raw points, the numbers increase some, but 60 is a pretty good dividing line between first and second line production IMO.
For me, the dividing line is less about raw point production and more about whether or not that production is sustainable when opposing coaches are planning their game around shutting you down. If you can be shut down with a little extra focus, then IMO you're probably better off on the second line... or on a team that has multiple second lines so that there's too many guys to be able to plan against them all.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
  #275
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
For me, the dividing line is less about raw point production and more about whether or not that production is sustainable when opposing coaches are planning their game around shutting you down. If you can be shut down with a little extra focus, then IMO you're probably better off on the second line... or on a team that has multiple second lines so that there's too many guys to be able to plan against them all.
Understandable enough. I mean, I don't really consider Valtteri Flippula to be a first line center, even though his production in '11-'12 would have placed him in that range. All things considered though, unless resorting to subjective measurements, 60 is still probably one of the better dividing lines to use.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.