HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When do we become "Sellers"?

Old
02-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What BS?These guys are professional athletes making ridiculous amounts of money.Life isn't that bad for them.If players can't take a little abuse from the fans or the media,then they are in the wrong business.You sound like Glen Sather who said a few years ago that the fans shouldn't boo the players.Sather has been stealing money for the last seven years($5 million big ones every year) and he doesn't receive the proper amount of abuse which he richly deserves.The players will come and go.Even Sather will eventually be put out to pasture
1. Sather - I hate him so please dont compare me to him.

2. Booing - There is nothing wrong with booing a team like the one we had in the late 90s and early this century. If a team does not try, does not play hard, sure, go ahead, boo it all day! I'll even join you!

This, ,however, is NOT that team. It is a hard-working team that is fighting for a playoff spot. The team is winning too lately. Why boo it? Should you judge the team of TODAY by what it did years ago? I dont think thats fair.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
bathgate

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=2forsbergaura1;8188548]Excuse me if I'm just tired of people being pessimistic.

The team is playing hard, the team is playing well, they are fighting for a playoff spot and what do we ,the Rangers fans, do? We decide to be negative and talk about selling our players before they are even eliminated from the playoffs.

If you want to do that, go ahead, but then don't call yourself a real fan.

This is not the Rangers team from the late 90's. This is a good team that plays hard...they deserve better than all this BS. It's like if your co-workers starting making bets on how soon you will be fired when you are only on your 2nd week on the job...its silly.[/QUOTE
I've had season tickets for thirty five years and I always root for my team. I'm a fan but believe we should be SELLERS!. Jagr, Straka, Shanny and Nylander will not win a Cup in Ranger blue. At best, this is a team in transition. I say accelerate the transition and attempt to obtain some top six forward prospects. I promise my sentiments do not make me any less a fan. In fact, I have probably spent more money on this team than any other poster.Nevertheless, I am also a realist. The team is flawed and needs change. Take the pain now and let's go forward.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Hockey is cyclical guys...and right now it's the Rangers turn to shine! We need to show that we believe in our team, it does help, especially during HOME games.
That's so corny I nearly choked on the kernels. You should hand out free "We Are The Champions" MP3s with that post. Do you look as great as I think you do in that little cheerleader outfit of yours? Seriously though, the Rangers are going to do what they have done for all but 4 seasons since 1926...find a way to eff it up! Let's go Rangers!!!

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
fob

I think considering it at all before this coming Monday is just being pessimistic.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
No-one on the boards should slam another poster, but this time I think 2forsbergaura1 has a point. The Rangers are in the hunt for the playoffs, they're playing the best hockey they have all season, and yet every week we get another thread from a new poster about how it's time to throw in the towel and conduct a firesale.

Now no-one wants to return to the bad old Neil Smith/early Sather days, but honestly, sometimes I think there are people out there who would rather see the Rangers fail with a bunch of enthusiastic 3rd-line kids than actually make the postseason fight.
The Rangers have been playing their best hockey of the year?Really

4-5-1 in their last 10.6-5-1 since the all star break.With a home record of 12-13-3-no wonder why people are pessimistic.How do the Rangers have a home record of one game under .500 and expect to be a playoff team?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
1. Sather - I hate him so please dont compare me to him.

2. Booing - There is nothing wrong with booing a team like the one we had in the late 90s and early this century. If a team does not try, does not play hard, sure, go ahead, boo it all day! I'll even join you!

This, ,however, is NOT that team. It is a hard-working team that is fighting for a playoff spot. The team is winning too lately. Why boo it? Should you judge the team of TODAY by what it did years ago? I dont think thats fair.
They deserved to be booed on Saturday.They allowed the Flyers to embarrass them in their own building.The Rangers had no business losing to that team at this time of year

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:

4-5-1 in their last 10.6-5-1 since the all star break.With a home record of 12-13-3-no wonder why people are pessimistic.How do the Rangers have a home record of one game under .500 and expect to be a playoff team?

1. We won 3 games in a row before splitting on the weekend. Now we lost one to NJ and will win one back today. The point is the team is going to get on another run because it is playing well. You cannot win every game.

2. Below .500 at home? How about blaming part of that on the fans who start booing before they start cheering?

Old
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob View Post
I think considering it at all before this coming Monday is just being pessimistic.
YEP, because come Monday we could be in 9th

Old
02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdslocum View Post
I believe we have reached the ppoint that we need to become "Sellers" and start stock piling draft choices and young players.
You can only do so much of that! The real issue for the Rangers....is their inability save for Lundqvist, to select a bona fide can't miss , impact player in the draft. They may have come close with Staal, but you get my point hopefully. They seem to thrive on looking for sleepers, and guys who fall due to injury. Thats a trend I hope they reverse some time very soon.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
You can only do so much of that! The real issue for the Rangers....is their inability save for Lundqvist, to select a bona fide can't miss , impact player in the draft. They may have come close with Staal, but you get my point hopefully. They seem to thrive on looking for sleepers, and guys who fall due to injury. Thats a trend I hope they reverse some time very soon.

thats a good point. We have had enough Brendls and Lundmarks, thats for sure.

However, our drafting of late has improved. Lundqvist and Staal should become core players to build on. Our forwards obviously need a top impact player...hopefully we can draft one soon.

Old
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
SML

I'm worried that we wind up winning just enough to keep our guys for our "stretch run" and go in to the tank immediately after the deadline. It happens every year. That or the teams the are serious about bulking up will make their deals early and by the time we get around to making up our minds, there won't be anyone left to deal with. I agree with bathgate, that this team is not a cup team. Am I sure? No. But I would bet that our chances of not winning the cup this year are alot greater than the chances of winning it. I think long term we are better off selling whatever other teams are willing to buy. Just what exactly that is, is a total question mark. Weekes? He hasn't played in 2 months. Malik? You might catch a GM who scouts in the boxscores instead of actually watching. Roszival? Maybe. Ward? Too expensive. Kasparaitis? Probably not. Maybe Rachunek. Who else is anybody going to want that we can afford to cut out of our long term plans?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
They're never in that position in the first place though. What the Rangers really need to do is to not try to get that top three pick through standings but a draft day trade. If there's a guy like Malkin, go up and get him. Don't ride a Brendl/Lundmark. But sell some of your best eggs for that elite draft eligible in June. A guy like Kane or Turris is someone I wouldn't mind us shooting for.

Old
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
They're never in that position in the first place though. What the Rangers really need to do is to not try to get that top three pick through standings but a draft day trade. If there's a guy like Malkin, go up and get him. Don't ride a Brendl/Lundmark. But sell some of your best eggs for that elite draft eligible in June. A guy like Kane or Turris is someone I wouldn't mind us shooting for.
I would agree with that too actually.

Unless you have a Top 5 pick, you are never quaranteed a real stud like Malkin.

I would gladly package in guys like Malik, Rachunek (who Staal can replace next season), Weekes, etc...in order to move up into the Top 5 at least.

Old
02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

I would gladly package in guys like Malik, Rachunek (who Staal can replace next season), Weekes, etc...in order to move up into the Top 5 at least.
Damn, don't think that you can get there with those guys though. That's when the organization really needs to sit down and analyze what the plan is. Can we get rid of Prucha and not be affected greatly? Callahan's about to turn out, but will Dubinsky grasp the AHL game and make the transition? And on and on. I'd get rid of so and so, but this guy has to stay.

What's been made clear is that we're not afraid to package some of these guys and use them as assets. IE. Petruzalek, Cliche, Marek.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
SML

Quote:

Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore. Who is going to take a grab bag full of our overpriced, underskilled players for a top 5 pick if there were a player of Malkin's ability available? Nobody is going to give you a deal that good.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Edge

Don't think we are to that point yet, could be pretty soon but not yet.

I'd say we revisit this in about a week and things should be a little clearer.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Damn, don't think that you can get there with those guys though. That's when the organization really needs to sit down and analyze what the plan is. Can we get rid of Prucha and not be affected greatly? Callahan's about to turn out, but will Dubinsky grasp the AHL game and make the transition? And on and on. I'd get rid of so and so, but this guy has to stay.

What's been made clear is that we're not afraid to package some of these guys and use them as assets. IE. Petruzalek, Cliche, Marek.

sure, tis not enough...id trade some prospects too

Old
02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
I totally agree with your post, however they have to do it, by any means necessary, they need to get an offensive stud in here, or a workhorse defenseman who doesn't need much seasoning. There are alot of chips to move up, it just depends on whats available come draft day.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers have been pretty mediocre this season. Though we're not out of it by any stretch yet--we're not in it either. Aaron Ward be damned but I just don't see his comments about us being a legit stanley cup contender--the comments that is he made before the season. Rodent has a very good article about us going one way or another as for buying or selling. Jagr--no because no GM would want a Jaromir that sulks and besides he sells tickets. Straka--no--not after having taken a discount to re-up for another year--bad message around the league to potential UFA's--who could rightly question the teams loyalty to its most hardworking and loyal players. Nylander he states is a possibility--and he would be worth something because he's a center and a legit 1st line playmaker if not a 2nd line in reality. As for our D-men and Weekes the only one I can see garnering much interest would be Rachunek. If we're sellers young guys like Prucha, Tyutin will be safe at least until summer. More or less the gist of Rodent's column. What do I think?--if we're buying (which means we're gambling) we need a d-man who is decent defensively and has a big shot--someone like Souray. Forget the Tkachuks. A 2nd line center would be nice but other than Sakic of the names I've heard I don't think the others are worth the gamble for what they'll probably cost. If we're selling Nylander and Rachunek are the most likely to go. The other option is we go with what we have and hope for the best.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
The dude wins the Lester B. Pearson trophy in his first full season as a Ranger, but he "hasn't worked in NY" and can be replaced through trades?

Please enlighten us, because I'd love to hear how you plan on replacing a 100-pt scorer.
Jagr scored a ton of points in games we were supposed to win. Gee like i said he is great but what if we can move him for a young number 1 center? and a pick? what if a top 2 defenseman became on the market? Jager and his style are a benifit not a must in the NHL. Who is the Jagr for the Sabres? the Ducks or the Preds? Dude look outside the box sometime. Don't love a player and think he is God love him , but realize one player can be replaced in a flash. He scored goals yep but the crash at the end of the season was lengendary and that awesone hit on Gomez lol

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
2. Below .500 at home? How about blaming part of that on the fans who start booing before they start cheering?
Now that, my friend, is definitely a "Satherism".

Quote:
Here's the point:
Would you ever see the DEVILS fans talk about SELLING their players when the DEVILS are 4 points out of a playoff spot? NO
Would you see REDWINGS fans do that if their team is 4 points out? NO

That is because their fans have faith...and that is something Rangers fans lack.
The reason you don't hear Devils fans talk about selling is because they haven't been in a position to sell since 1996. The reason you don't hear Red Wings fans talking about selling is because they haven't missed the playoffs in almost 2 decades. These are brilliantly managed teams that are virtual locks for the playoffs from day one. To compare either to the current Rangers organization is a joke.

On the topic of selling, think about who realistically will be sold, then think about what they will realistically bring back. It's hard to imagine that anyone with any value will be dealt, so we're talking about bowing out of the playoffs for the sake of a couple middle round picks or yet more bottom 6 players. I'm pessimistic in terms of their chances of making or competing in the playoffs, but it hardly seems worth it to me to sell without shopping your biggest pieces.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Now that, my friend, is definitely a "Satherism".

The reason you don't hear Devils fans talk about selling is because they haven't been in a position to sell since 1996. The reason you don't hear Red Wings fans talking about selling is because they haven't missed the playoffs in almost 2 decades. These are brilliantly managed teams that are virtual locks for the playoffs from day one. To compare either to the current Rangers organization is a joke.

Thats nice, but you also dont see the Islanders fans giving up on their team...and they are in the same boat as we are. Just comes down to having some faith in your team.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Thats nice, but you also dont see the Islanders fans giving up on their team...and they are in the same boat as we are. Just comes down to having some faith in your team.
You might want to review attendance figures at Nassau.

You are right, it does come down to having faith in the team. I admittedly don't have a lot. I haven't seen an indication all season that this team has what it takes to win 15 of their next 22. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it seems pretty damn unlikely to me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:

The Rangers have been playing their most balanced, solid hockey all season since Renney shuffled the lines. You can argue all you want about how dire they were before and whether he should have tried this earlier, but that's not the point.

The most important point is that the Rangers are still in the playoff hunt. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Rangers need to instil a sense of "will-to-win" from the top to the bottom of the organisation. Brendan Shanahan himself said the same.

If the Rangers start selling now, while morale is high, while they're still within a shout of the playoffs, then they lose big time. They'll be sending the absolute wrong message to the players. They might be overpaid professionals, but they still want to be part of a team with ambition.

If the Rangers sell now, they won't just miss the playoffs, they'll lose all the players who realise that this organisation is a joke and don't want to be a part of it next year: Shanahan won't return, Jagr will sulk all next season, Nylander disappears and Straka goes into a hole, Sean Avery will revert to being a clown, Pck won't return, Tyutin will retrograde to Bobo Mironov at his worst, Marc Staal's first season in the NHL is with a team that doesn't give a damn, so all he does is pick up bad habits.

I'm not saying all these things will happen, but it's a possibility. Giving up now is no different than overspending on high-priced stars in the hope that their talent can bring you the Cup without any hard work going into it. It's up to management to show the direction for the team, to lead the way. It's up to Sather, Maloney, Renney, Schoenfeld & Co. to prove to the players that they will support all of them who want to win and get rid of those who don't.

To that same end, if the Rangers implode over the next few games, come out flat, lose because they don't work, then yes, it is time for a firesale, but the message is the same: the Rangers must want to win.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
You might want to review attendance figures at Nassau.

You are right, it does come down to having faith in the team. I admittedly don't have a lot. I haven't seen an indication all season that this team has what it takes to win 15 of their next 22. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it seems pretty damn unlikely to me.
Say the team comes out tonight with a win, and then goes on to win 3/4 more in a row. Then the standings shake out a little more favorable to us and the rest of the games don't have that feel of being, "pretty damn unlikely." But you're right, the team has got to stop this win one, lose one BS. Just find a damn way to win. Its a bit discouraging(or encouraging?) seeing TBAY and PITT do exactly what we need to do.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote