HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign FA Ryan Haggerty (RW - RPI [NCAA])

Old
03-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Brooks was killing the deal in today's Post, so this has to be a good deal fro the Rangers.
The funniest thing is the whole article is based on the fact that he doesn't understand the rules. There isn't a no send-down clause in the contract. They just signed the kid after the AHL roster freeze deadline so he's not eligible to play there until next season.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Brooks, while being probably our "best" beat writer, is a moron. He can claim he sat in the blue seats in the 70s all he wants, but he's a Devil's guy through and through, and always will be. He's got his sources, but even then one can only look to the recent St. Louis article he wrote the day before the deadline to see that even with that he's not great. Now this uninformed article critiquing the Rangers. If thing's aren't bad, then Brooks isn't happy. He makes his money off of bad news for the Rangers.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

So, why was this guy undrafted?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Far less likely you'll see Miller or anyone else called up the rest of the year Bern. Rangers have a full compliment of players and they're not going to be screwing around with the lineup very much in the middle of a playoff chase.

Looks like Haggerty keeps his #39 jersey number that he wore at RPI.
You are probably correct my friend, and other things being equal, I would not suggest this.

But the given circumstances are what they are, and all on its own the opportunity has presented itself.

Then on top of that, we are having problems finishing.

Against a top team, I understand it's a larger risk.

But for others, can't we try Miller + Haggerty in lieu of Boyle and Carcillo/Dorsett?

For 4 games?
Just to see if there happens to be lightning to keep in mind down the road?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Officer Friendly
=w=

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
He didn't get picked by the other teams in the course of the draft... So it left him undrafted

Officer Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
He didn't get picked by the other teams in the course of the draft... So it left him undrafted
Link?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Officer Friendly
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Link?
"Haggerty was not selected in the past three NHL drafts, undrafted in his final year with the USA Hockey developmental program and his first two seasons at RPI."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1719649#bmb=1

Old
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
"Haggerty was not selected in the past three NHL drafts, undrafted in his final year with the USA Hockey developmental program and his first two seasons at RPI."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1719649#bmb=1
This link takes me to the hompage.

03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

here's the fix

http://www.nydailynews.com/rangers-s....1719649#bmb=1

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Officer Friendly
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreider View Post
Thank you been posting from my phone, so I guess the link didn't work right

Old
03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
dumpin

Do we play Haggerty?

I would like to see this kid on the ice and see what he can do.. His video shows he is really quick with his shot and looks like he has good hands. I have never seen him play in person and I have only seen his highlight videos so I dont know anything about his defensive game. He has decent size and looks like he skates well enough.

His highlights do show me something that I rarely see a Ranger forward do and that is get his shot off without teeing it up. He has a hard shot and wastes no time in getting it off.

dumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Short answer, no. Long answer, nope.

rip
DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

No, we do not.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Officer Friendly
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpin View Post
I would like to see this kid on the ice and see what he can do.. His video shows he is really quick with his shot and looks like he has good hands. I have never seen him play in person and I have only seen his highlight videos so I dont know anything about his defensive game. He has decent size and looks like he skates well enough.

His highlights do show me something that I rarely see a Ranger forward do and that is get his shot off without teeing it up. He has a hard shot and wastes no time in getting it off.
Yea idk we would have to see how his first practice went. Mostly I doubt that he would get in a game barring an injury

Old
03-17-2014, 03:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Yea idk we would have to see how his first practice went. Mostly I doubt that he would get in a game barring an injury
Unfortunately you're right.
Too much to ask Boyle + Carcillo/Dorsett to sit for a coupla games.

Last edited by bernmeister: 03-18-2014 at 12:56 PM.
bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:22 AM
NYR Viper

If say after another 5-10 games he does not play, could the Rangers send him down on a conditioning stint to Hartford? I would think that may be best for both parties. Get him 5 games or so down there and then let him continue to practice with the big team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
If say after another 5-10 games he does not play, could the Rangers send him down on a conditioning stint to Hartford? I would think that may be best for both parties. Get him 5 games or so down there and then let him continue to practice with the big team.
13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 3410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.
Seems outdated?

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Something I'm wondering too.

Great to hear about the upside of these random free agents we sign, but I'd like to know what it was that shyed other teams away from him.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Seems outdated?
it said 2013 in the link. http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/3...les-loan-stint

Old
03-18-2014, 12:14 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 3410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Right. That was from the draft, the final version says waivers instead of re-entry.

Sending him on a conditioning loan would probably constitute circumvention of the deadline so it'd likely be shut down. Too bad.

Honestly I think undrafted FA's signed after the deadline should be able to play in the A.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Right. That was from the draft, the final version says waivers instead of re-entry.

Sending him on a conditioning loan would probably constitute circumvention of the deadline so it'd likely be shut down. Too bad.

Honestly I think undrafted FA's signed after the deadline should be able to play in the A.
I'm not sure why that would be the case. They could say they want him to get some games in to stay in game shape.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 11:51 AM
TeamStewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Something I'm wondering too.

Great to hear about the upside of these random free agents we sign, but I'd like to know what it was that shyed other teams away from him.
Not everyone can get drafted. Some players just develop physically talentwise or both, later than others. LUNDQVIST was drafted in the last round of the draft. It's not a big deal.

TeamStewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamStewie View Post
Not everyone can get drafted. Some players just develop physically talentwise or both, later than others. LUNDQVIST was drafted in the last round of the draft. It's not a big deal.
a fan favorite of mine was also drafted in the 7th round, Joe Pavelski such a great find by the Sharks

Old
03-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Leetch3

lots of guys don't get drafted and they don't get drafted for a reason, which is most of these signings don't work out...but its a completely valid question. the reasons that haggerty, specifically, didn't get drafted and how those factors may have changed over the last few years can help gauge the likelihood of his success

for example a guy that didn't get drafted cause he was too small and then grew 4 inches after his draft year might be more likely to succeed than a guy that put up better numbers for no reason other than he was 21-22 against 18-19 year olds instead of 18.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote