HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

Old
03-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Hi all,

I've browsed the thread, but hoping I could get some specific recommendations...

The wife and I planning to come down for a Mets-Phillies game and spending the evening in Philly. The game is a 3 pm game so I was thinking of driving down early, and checking out either the xfinity live or Mcfaddens before the game. My question is what is the best neighborhood to wander/barhop after the game? I vaguely remember being at Market street years ago which if I recall seemed pretty lively, but I was in college then. I was also hoping to book a hotel that was reasonably easy to get to the SEPTA to take to the game. I can pick a hotel online, but I'm not familair with the different neighborhoods of the city.

thanks in advance for any tips you have.
Northern Liberties is a good area for bar hopping. I haven't ever taken public transportation down there though, only cabs. Not that you're a Flyers fan but i've seen some Flyers in the area before while out, which is pretty fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...x-a&channel=sb

If you want to stay in a hotel near SEPTA then you'll probably be staying in Center City. When looking for a hotel just check how close it is to the Orange Line, which is the Broad Street Line. All you'll have to do is take that right to the stadium, no switching trains.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Hi all,

I've browsed the thread, but hoping I could get some specific recommendations...

The wife and I planning to come down for a Mets-Phillies game and spending the evening in Philly. The game is a 3 pm game so I was thinking of driving down early, and checking out either the xfinity live or Mcfaddens before the game. My question is what is the best neighborhood to wander/barhop after the game? I vaguely remember being at Market street years ago which if I recall seemed pretty lively, but I was in college then. I was also hoping to book a hotel that was reasonably easy to get to the SEPTA to take to the game. I can pick a hotel online, but I'm not familair with the different neighborhoods of the city.

thanks in advance for any tips you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Northern Liberties is a good area for bar hopping. I haven't ever taken public transportation down there though, only cabs. Not that you're a Flyers fan but i've seen some Flyers in the area before while out, which is pretty fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...x-a&channel=sb

If you want to stay in a hotel near SEPTA then you'll probably be staying in Center City. When looking for a hotel just check how close it is to the Orange Line, which is the Broad Street Line. All you'll have to do is take that right to the stadium, no switching trains.

Yep...Northern Liberties has a bunch of bars. Depends on what exactly the vibe your looking for is. Xfinity Live is so convenient but there's really not much else in the area if you get tired of the atmosphere at the different bars in the complex.

It also depends where your staying and what areas your going.

Check out this link for someone's ranking of top 50 bars in philly...

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/ne...-38465689.html

I liked this one when i went:
Quote:
Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
1516 Sansom St. 215.569.9525. www.ripsneakers.com/nodding

How could you not love a pub that sells a beer called Rudy's Kung Fu Grip? It's all about the beer at the Nodding Head. Which is not to say the grub, the dart boards, the bobblehead collection, the always happy waitstaff, the nonstop soccer on the TV and the jukebox (featuring the Clash, Toots and the Maytals and Billy Bragg) are to be sniffed at either. But oh man, the beer! Brewed on the premises, it's the mutt's nuts. Some of their more esoteric concoctions--like the spicy Monkey Knife Fight--may be an acquired taste. But stick to staples like the grog, 60 Shilling and BPA, and you'll be laughing. Literally.

Read more: http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/ne...#ixzz2wXa6x3e5

Last edited by Danko: 03-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
JVR or Bust
popcorn.gif

Visiting Philly

Hey Flyers fans,

I'm visiting Philly next Friday to see the Flyers take on the Leafs. It's not my first time to the city but I've never really had an opportunity to explore since my first two trips were work related. I'm just wondering where to find the best cheesesteak in the city and possibly a good pub to grab a couple of beers post game.

Also, is there a section of the Wells Fargo where I can try to grab autographs? Would like to get both Flyers/Leafs players if that's even possible. Thanks in advance and best of luck.

JVR or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR or Bust View Post
Hey Flyers fans,

I'm visiting Philly next Friday to see the Flyers take on the Leafs. It's not my first time to the city but I've never really had an opportunity to explore since my first two trips were work related. I'm just wondering where to find the best cheesesteak in the city and possibly a good pub to grab a couple of beers post game.

Also, is there a section of the Wells Fargo where I can try to grab autographs? Would like to get both Flyers/Leafs players if that's even possible. Thanks in advance and best of luck.
The answer to some of those questions can be found in the OP and also in more recent posts. Others will likely make suggestions following this response.

The world's richest horse race. The $12 million Pegasus Stakes Jan. 28, 2017 at Gulfstream Park, Hallandale Beach, Florida. NBC-TV 4:30 - 6:00 pm ET.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:55 PM
JVR or Bust
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The answer to some of those questions can be found in the OP and also in more recent posts. Others will likely make suggestions following this response.
Thanks for the direction, I obviously missed the stickied thread. Looking forward to the visit, I'm expecting a hostile crowd and some good back and forth banter!

Old
03-23-2014, 11:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Thanks for the direction, I obviously missed the stickied thread. Looking forward to the visit, I'm expecting a hostile crowd and some good back and forth banter!
Tony Luke's & Jim's Steaks are popular choices & close to the stadium in regards to the cheesesteak's. There's Geno's & Pat's which are more of the well known places in popular culture but most natives will tell you they're both overrated & geared towards the tourist's.

As for bar's there's Xfinity Live & McFadden's literally right there at the stadium. I can't really expound on that because I live in a different part of the city & don't spend much time down there outside of sporting events so my knowledge on other places is pretty lacking.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Quote:
Well, if it's your first time to Philly, i recommend just hitting up Geno's or Pats, those two are really part of the visiting philly experience. They may not be the best tasting in the city but when you think of philly cheesesteaks as someone outside of the city, it's typically one of those two.

As far as the back and forth, have fun and just don't be obnoxious and your fine. Enjoy the game!

Bars in the area, your looking at all of bars in the xfinity complex, you could probably go to chickies and petes which is kind of close, plus you can get the crab fries. McFadden's at Citizens Bank Park may be open as well and is right across the street. I would probably recommend avoiding wearing the jersey in the bar after the game if you venture from the stadium area. Beer Muscle comes out when it gets dark.

Also there is a holiday inn near the the stadium complex and i believe they have a bar called bully's in there. We went to a cool little bar called the fire on Girard i believe one time as my brother is in a band called BoatRocker and they had a show at the place. It's the definition of a dive, but it's probably my favorite bar i've been to in philly. It's a part of a Fire Station i believe and they have seperate rooms, during the summer i think i was told they project philly's game on the side of the building.

I recommened some bars in the last visitors post, check out that top 50 bars list and don't settle for some tourist/money pit.

Last edited by Danko: 03-23-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:52 PM
FLYguy3911

Just don't get a cheesesteak at the arena and claim you had a Philly cheesesteak!!!

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 12:13 AM
SAINDON

Quote:
Hey Flyers fans,

Johns Roast Pork has an awesome cheesesteak. I think it's the best. They are on Snyder Avenue, not too far from the stadium. Only problem is they stop making them at 2:30PM during the week.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
JVR or Bust
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post
Well, if it's your first time to Philly, i recommend just hitting up Geno's or Pats, those two are really part of the visiting philly experience. They may not be the best tasting in the city but when you think of philly cheesesteaks as someone outside of the city, it's typically one of those two.

As far as the back and forth, have fun and just don't be obnoxious and your fine. Enjoy the game!

Bars in the area, your looking at all of bars in the xfinity complex, you could probably go to chickies and petes which is kind of close, plus you can get the crab fries. McFadden's at Citizens Bank Park may be open as well and is right across the street. I would probably recommend avoiding wearing the jersey in the bar after the game if you venture from the stadium area. Beer Muscle comes out when it gets dark.

Also there is a holiday inn near the the stadium complex and i believe they have a bar called bully's in there. We went to a cool little bar called the fire on Girard i believe one time as my brother is in a band called BoatRocker and they had a show at the place. It's the definition of a dive, but it's probably my favorite bar i've been to in philly. It's a part of a Fire Station i believe and they have seperate rooms, during the summer i think i was told they project philly's game on the side of the building.

I recommened some bars in the last visitors post, check out that top 50 bars list and don't settle for some tourist/money pit.
Thanks for a very detailed rundown of things, I appreciate the hospitality. I've heard of Geno's and Pat's so perhaps that is where I'll get my cheesesteak from, even just to say I got it from there. Luckily I'm not an obnoxious person by nature so I'm not concerned about the game experience but I fully expect to get heckled, which is fair since I'm the visiting fan and it's just a part of sports. Always had respect for the Flyers and their fans and I appreciate the level of support they get from the fans, you guys are just absolute animals sometimes. I love it. Love the avy and sig too. "I am the liquor."

Old
06-15-2014, 11:27 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
My daughter & I are trekking through Eastern Pennsylvania later this month and we're planning on spending a Sunday in Philly. We usually like to hit the more unusual spots, so we're likely to tour the Eastern State Penitentiary and the Mütter Museum, then see if we have any time left for other sightseeing.

I'd prefer to park near the Penitentiary, and have heard there are a couple pay lots, as well as some street-side parking (although I know that will likely be filled up early on)

I've started looking into Septa & Phlash trolley for getting around town. However, we don't mind walking, but am curious if there are particular areas/streets we should avoid starting from the Penitentiary on down towards Mütter. The route passing the Rodin Museum seems to be the most interesting to me.

Also, any cheesesteak places worth visiting on that route? I'm not certain how much further south we'd go, which I suppose is where Geno's and Pat's are located.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

You can park right outside the Pen or in that neighborhood. It is Fairmount and safe. Just mind the time on the signs. If there are zero signs, then you can park there 24/7. It gets a little sketchy NE of the Pen -- but one can see the change in the buildings.

Mutter is not to far from there and safe as well and one could walk it. That whole Philadelphia Museum area and surrounding area is safe. Just don't go north of Girard -- which is reasonably north from that locale.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:10 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
You can park right outside the Pen or in that neighborhood. It is Fairmount and safe. Just mind the time on the signs. If there are zero signs, then you can park there 24/7. It gets a little sketchy NE of the Pen -- but one can see the change in the buildings.

Mutter is not to far from there and safe as well and one could walk it. That whole Philadelphia Museum area and surrounding area is safe. Just don't go north of Girard -- which is reasonably north from that locale.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Is there anywhere else I should put this? I'm in the Philly area, what I don't know is how the NHL Draft usually works for people to come to.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the procedure is? Just show up? Do I need to find tickets? I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a free event and I'd love to go.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Is there anywhere else I should put this? I'm in the Philly area, what I don't know is how the NHL Draft usually works for people to come to.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the procedure is? Just show up? Do I need to find tickets? I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a free event and I'd love to go.
They were free originally when they were released and are now all sold out. The only way to get tickets now is to buy them on the secondary market or hope that someone on here can hook you up.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
They were free originally when they were released and are now all sold out. The only way to get tickets now is to buy them on the secondary market or hope that someone on here can hook you up.
Dang, should have looked at it all sooner. Thanks for the info.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Headed to Philly for the draft today and I have to poll the experts here on where we should go for lunch beforehand. Torn between:

- DiNic's (roast pork)

and

- Paesano's Philly Style

Unless of course someone feels that one of the cheesesteak places blows both options out of the water. I will also add that I have been to DiNic's before so I'm inclined to try something new, but we do love walking through RTM. Thanks in advance!

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Phileeguy
Scoring Decision?

Why not both?

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Just don't get a cheesesteak at the arena and claim you had a Philly cheesesteak!!!
Yeah, arena food is arena food.

Old
07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
After being a fan for 35 years, and years of blowing cash stupidly, I have finally booked my flights for October. Arrive on the 8th, FLyers / Devils home opener, Flyer / Habs Saturday night and Eagles / Giants Sunday night, not possible to be happier

I hope to find a good hotel somewhere close to the arena and stadium, any good suggestions ? Also what would be the best way to get tickets ? I know the Eagles game will be $$$, but this is a once in a lifetime trip so want good seats .

Any info would be appreciated and anyone that wants to meet for beers or any pre game activities, 1st beer is on me !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
daynus

going to

the lovely city of philadelphia for the second time.

i came out in 2012 while the cba was being worked on. i went to aa cowboys-eagles game in what turned into a 4 win season for the eagles. and andys last season in philly. and i saw the bucks beat the 76ers. and had potential to see 2 nhl games if the cba was finished in time. you know the rest of the story.

this year i am gonna see the carolina panthers v eagles monday nighter. man that is gonna be crazy to see live. and i am finally gonna see my boys in their home building v the colorado avalanche.

was very impressed with how clean the city of philadelphia is. the old city part is spotless. a lot of time money and pride goes into keeping it like that. i have been to oh 12 different states and philly and san antonio and vancouver are my favorite cities.

i am dying to go to city hall and see if they finished the rink inside. would love to go skating there.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 02:07 PM
mongolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
the lovely city of philadelphia for the second time.

i came out in 2012 while the cba was being worked on. i went to aa cowboys-eagles game in what turned into a 4 win season for the eagles. and andys last season in philly. and i saw the bucks beat the 76ers. and had potential to see 2 nhl games if the cba was finished in time. you know the rest of the story.

this year i am gonna see the carolina panthers v eagles monday nighter. man that is gonna be crazy to see live. and i am finally gonna see my boys in their home building v the colorado avalanche.

was very impressed with how clean the city of philadelphia is. the old city part is spotless. a lot of time money and pride goes into keeping it like that. i have been to oh 12 different states and philly and san antonio and vancouver are my favorite cities.

i am dying to go to city hall and see if they finished the rink inside. would love to go skating there.
Wait, what? I haven't lived in Philly in nearly a decade, so I'm a little out of touch with local news. They are/were planning on doing this?

mongolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 10:27 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Booked Holiday Inn Stadium , looks to be real close to Linc and Wells Fargo. I assume safe to walk to and from the games ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennysflyers16 View Post
Booked Holiday Inn Stadium , looks to be real close to Linc and Wells Fargo. I assume safe to walk to and from the games ?
Very safe. That part of South Philly doesn't start to get sketchy until you get north of Oregon, which is across Packer, the highway, and then Oregon -- and even Oregon is okay during daylight. I wouldn't walk north of Oregon when the streets become devoid of people. I used to have a friend who lived on 9th and Oregon, so I know that area pretty well as I used to be there frequently. You aren't even that close to the neighborhoods. South is all stadium area. Then some parks north of you / baseball fields. Then the neighborhoods finally start.

Old
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

Does anyone know what time parking opens up, and what the situation is for RV parking? I want to tailgate on October 25th game vs red wings in my rv with some friends, and want to show up as early as possible.

There are no other games at the sports complex that day. I've been told 3 hours before gametime but most people seem unsure.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote