HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
If you can't flex a 75, for sure try a 65 intermediate. I don't know anything about ball hockey but I can't stand playing with heavier sticks like the 55S.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you can't flex a 75, for sure try a 65 intermediate. I don't know anything about ball hockey but I can't stand playing with heavier sticks like the 55S.
Its a pretty light stick only 536gm

Old
03-18-2014, 10:50 PM
AIREAYE

It's only light if you're comparing it to wood sticks lol. It's in line with other $50 sticks.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's only light if you're comparing it to wood sticks lol. It's in line with other $50 sticks.
True lol. I dont really want to drop $100 for a stick that I'm using for 2 months then for street hockey

Old
03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
nosnhoj

New Stick Help

Hey all,

I had a Vapor X:60 (L/87/P106) that I absolutely loved but just recently broke. So I'm now looking to replace it with something new. I've been looking at hockey monkey for some replacements (I have a few weeks til' my next season starts) and have found a few sticks that might fit what I'm looking for, but I wanted some advice from you guys.

I play in a men's league with games once or twice a week; I also go to drop in once in awhile as well. Normally I play defense, but I do play offense on occasion. I'm 5'8" (I typically cut sticks down by about 2") and my weight fluctuates between 180 and 195. I'm looking for something that's going to perform similarly to the X:60. My two favorite sticks that I've ever used are the X:60 and the One95. I've been partial to Bauer sticks in the past, but I don't mind trying something new. I've had 85/87 flex sticks forever, though I feel like my wrist/snap shots are pretty weak. My slapper is good, but I've been wondering if I should try a 75 flex stick this time around to help with my wrister/snapper. I've never had a 75 flex stick (outside of my LHS - I liked it then but I don't feel like it's an accurate substitute for ice time), so I'm somewhat hesitant to drop money on something that I may or may not like. Anyway, I do like using heel curves and have been using the P106 curve from Bauer for quite some time, so I'm looking for something similar to that if I end up with a different brand.

The sticks I've looked at on hockey monkey are all clearance sticks as they have a 15% off deal for sticks on clearance. I'm not sure on the curves, so feel free to correct me if what I have listed is not as close to a P106 as I can get. The sticks are as follows:

Bauer Vapor APX
  • L/77/Kronwall (P02) - This is the only curve they have available in the 77 flex (I've never used a square toe)

Bauer Vapor X6.0
  • L/77/Gagne (P106)

Warrior Covert DT1
  • L/75/Burrows

Easton Synergy Grip Pro Stock
  • L/75/Heatley E6

I have a few sticks I can use as backups but they are lower end sticks that I'd prefer to not use, so I'm considering picking up two sticks this time in attempt to also extend the life of the sticks. I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I don't mind paying a bit more for durability. I don't really care if the stick is a grip version or not; I've used both and I like both. Anyway, any help, suggestions, feedback, constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks!

Old
03-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
Hey all,

I had a Vapor X:60 (L/87/P106) that I absolutely loved but just recently broke. So I'm now looking to replace it with something new. I've been looking at hockey monkey for some replacements (I have a few weeks til' my next season starts) and have found a few sticks that might fit what I'm looking for, but I wanted some advice from you guys.

I play in a men's league with games once or twice a week; I also go to drop in once in awhile as well. Normally I play defense, but I do play offense on occasion. I'm 5'8" (I typically cut sticks down by about 2") and my weight fluctuates between 180 and 195. I'm looking for something that's going to perform similarly to the X:60. My two favorite sticks that I've ever used are the X:60 and the One95. I've been partial to Bauer sticks in the past, but I don't mind trying something new. I've had 85/87 flex sticks forever, though I feel like my wrist/snap shots are pretty weak. My slapper is good, but I've been wondering if I should try a 75 flex stick this time around to help with my wrister/snapper. I've never had a 75 flex stick (outside of my LHS - I liked it then but I don't feel like it's an accurate substitute for ice time), so I'm somewhat hesitant to drop money on something that I may or may not like. Anyway, I do like using heel curves and have been using the P106 curve from Bauer for quite some time, so I'm looking for something similar to that if I end up with a different brand.

The sticks I've looked at on hockey monkey are all clearance sticks as they have a 15% off deal for sticks on clearance. I'm not sure on the curves, so feel free to correct me if what I have listed is not as close to a P106 as I can get. The sticks are as follows:

Bauer Vapor APX
  • L/77/Kronwall (P02) - This is the only curve they have available in the 77 flex (I've never used a square toe)

Bauer Vapor X6.0
  • L/77/Gagne (P106)

Warrior Covert DT1
  • L/75/Burrows

Easton Synergy Grip Pro Stock
  • L/75/Heatley E6

I have a few sticks I can use as backups but they are lower end sticks that I'd prefer to not use, so I'm considering picking up two sticks this time in attempt to also extend the life of the sticks. I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I don't mind paying a bit more for durability. I don't really care if the stick is a grip version or not; I've used both and I like both. Anyway, any help, suggestions, feedback, constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks!
The X6.0 fits the bill perfectly. It's also on clearance ($110). Durability is alright, it lasted me 6 months when I had it. The APX had better performance, but only lasted 2 months for me.

Old
03-19-2014, 07:48 PM
AIREAYE

If the 6.0 is the cheapest it's probably the best thing for your situation as you are more or less experimenting with a lower flex and will not be sinking excessive funds on that. It will be a step down from the X:60 though but not by a huge amount. Think X:50.

Old
03-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
If the 6.0 is the cheapest it's probably the best thing for your situation as you are more or less experimenting with a lower flex and will not be sinking excessive funds on that. It will be a step down from the X:60 though but not by a huge amount. Think X:50.
Yeah, the difference between the X:60 and the X6.0 is the material used (textreme for the X:60). This makes the stick a bit lighter and feel livelier IMO. Not something that will throw you off your game.

Old
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

Sigh.. I know the stick will be almost no different at all, but the equipment ***** in me can't help but reaalllyyy want an RBZ Superfast

Old
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Pacifist Goon

Being 6' 4'' I'm noticing a dearth of suitably long sticks to choose from in store.

Are they making the same sticks in different lengths but not stocking them in store or do they generally just make the one length and you stick an end plug in to get the extra length?

Just seems a bit odd if potentially spending a small fortune on sticks.

You wouldn't do it with shoes or clothes and the like having to add extra length to the sleeves etc; and it wouldn't happen with bats, racquets or clubs.

Are tall people being short changed by the manufacturers or by retailers when it comes to longer sticks?

Old
03-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Trl3789

I've had the chance to use my base nasty twice now and absolutely love it. It may be the slight decrease in flex (normally 85-this stick 80) but it feels way more responsive than anything else I've used.

Old
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Being 6' 4'' I'm noticing a dearth of suitably long sticks to choose from in store.

Are they making the same sticks in different lengths but not stocking them in store or do they generally just make the one length and you stick an end plug in to get the extra length?

Just seems a bit odd if potentially spending a small fortune on sticks.

You wouldn't do it with shoes or clothes and the like having to add extra length to the sleeves etc; and it wouldn't happen with bats, racquets or clubs.

Are tall people being short changed by the manufacturers or by retailers when it comes to longer sticks?
Neither. There are plenty of options for taller sticks if you know what to look for. Extending a stick via a plug hasn't been a significant enough pain point either and the economics of the business doesn't allow for an excessive amount of SKUs and inventory.

Old
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Pacifist Goon

Quote:
Neither. There are plenty of options for taller sticks if you know what to look for. Extending a stick via a plug hasn't been a significant enough pain point either and the economics of the business doesn't allow for an excessive amount of SKUs and inventory.
Like you say; 'if you know what to look for'.

Sticks seem to be the hardest thing to find or get right for the less knowledgeable. More nuances and variables than skates even.

Old
03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
AIREAYE

If you've got specific questions about those options, just post them here!

Old
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Pacifist Goon

There's plenty of great info and advice on here and elsewhere, but there's also geography, including being a very long way from the centre of the hockey universe with the associated limited product range and choice.

Even if sourcing online, there's no way to try before you buy, but there's a huge number of choices.

Still playing with seven wood Titan sticks currently in good condition that I had in storage for a long time and no complaints, but coming up for replacement and generally shooting conservatively because they must be collectors items by now.

Sherwood still seem to do some wood in a 63'' length that I might check out a bit more closely.

Or is it like comparing an old wooden tennis racquet with the latest composite one?

I'm still getting the odd shot to fly pretty good.

Old
03-20-2014, 07:09 PM
God
Free Citizen

I think I've seen a couple of extra long Sherwoods but most stores don't really stock them. If you go composite, all Warrior sticks are 63" (except the current cycle (and likely future cycles) of 75 flex sticks, which are 60").

Old
03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I think I've seen a couple of extra long Sherwoods but most stores don't really stock them. If you go composite, all Warrior sticks are 63" (except the current cycle (and likely future cycles) of 75 flex sticks, which are 60").
This isn't exactly true. My Warrior covert DT4LT 85 flex is 60".

Old
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM
SillyMe

Just got an INT DT1LT/Henrique(W03)
Can't wait to try it out!

Old
03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Werewolf1479

I've been using Sherwood two pieces for a while, I have a 115 flex standard, and a 105 tapered. I loved the 105 tapered as an all around good stick until the new replacement blades (which all have the shorter hosel) are the only blades I can find. Now the thing feels like it is made of jelly on anything more than quick wristers close to the net and receiving any kind of hard break-out pass requires extra-super soft hands or the puck just overpowers the blade. My slapper booms with the 115 standard, but isn't great for puck feel or quick wristers. So I think I need something in between. (I'm 6'3" 235 and usually play wing btw)

Curve wise I've been using the Coffey curve for like 20 years, but I've been using a P88 the last 3 weeks and love the ability to actually lift backhands at the goal line now. So curve isn't a big consideration, I can adapt.

Any suggestions? I was thinking a mid-flex stick with around 105 flex. I'd like to keep the price under $150 unless the extra cost is really buying me some nice features.

Old
03-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
I'm 5'8" (I typically cut sticks down by about 2") and my weight fluctuates between 180 and 195. I'm looking for something that's going to perform similarly to the X:60. My two favorite sticks that I've ever used are the X:60 and the One95.

I've had 85/87 flex sticks forever, though I feel like my wrist/snap shots are pretty weak. My slapper is good, but I've been wondering if I should try a 75 flex stick this time around to help with my wrister/snapper.
Can't comment on the specific sticks, but I think you would find your wrist/snap shots improve with the 75 flex. Your slappers might drop a bit (sounds like you're pretty strong), but think about which shot is more important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Seems like Warriors are pretty long. That said, nothing wrong with a wood plug, might even help the balance/feel a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I've had the chance to use my base nasty twice now and absolutely love it. It may be the slight decrease in flex (normally 85-this stick 80) but it feels way more responsive than anything else I've used.
Sounds good! Mine should be here on Wednesday. Can't wait! Of course winter league ends this weekend, but spring league starts up in a few weeks I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf1479 View Post
Any suggestions? I was thinking a mid-flex stick with around 105 flex. I'd like to keep the price under $150 unless the extra cost is really buying me some nice features.
There's a lot of clearance sticks in that $130-180 range from last year. There's not a ton of sticks that are between 100 and 115 flex, but BASE offers a couple in that range. Maybe a Natural in 105?

Old
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

APX1 or V9E for a little bit more?

Old
03-22-2014, 12:59 PM
MattGTI

I have been using a Sherwood Nexon N12(Stastny Curve/105 flex) for about a month now, and love it.

The thing I really like about it(besides the price point, balance and weight) is that it seems to be a thinner shaft in general than a lot of other sticks out there. It feels weird playing with anything else(I have a few Easton Mako M5's, and a Reebok Pro Stock I rotate with).

The Sherwood has held up well. However, I have been looking for another one. I really like the thinner feel of the stick overall.

Its impossible to find a righty, 105 flex, Stastny, no grip, N12(or N10) anywhere.(no LHS have any, and those specs are not in stock anywhere online).

Can anyone recommend a stick line that would somewhat fit the bill? The big factor being the thinner overall profile of the shaft? Thanks!

Old
03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I have been using a Sherwood Nexon N12(Stastny Curve/105 flex) for about a month now, and love it.

The thing I really like about it(besides the price point, balance and weight) is that it seems to be a thinner shaft in general than a lot of other sticks out there. It feels weird playing with anything else(I have a few Easton Mako M5's, and a Reebok Pro Stock I rotate with).

The Sherwood has held up well. However, I have been looking for another one. I really like the thinner feel of the stick overall.

Its impossible to find a righty, 105 flex, Stastny, no grip, N12(or N10) anywhere.(no LHS have any, and those specs are not in stock anywhere online).

Can anyone recommend a stick line that would somewhat fit the bill? The big factor being the thinner overall profile of the shaft? Thanks!
I think that a 102 flex P92 matte APX would be good for you. The rounded shaft makes it feel thinner than most sticks.

Old
03-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Werewolf1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
APX1 or V9E for a little bit more?
I found an APX1 in 112 flex P88 curve online at a price I can handle. How are these things for harder shots? All the sites list them as LKP but in my limited experience LKP is weak for the occasional slap shot or one timer. Also, what is the grip like on these? I've never used grip, thinking about trying it out and baby powdering it if it is too strong. Sorry for so many questions, I live in BFE Alabama now and there aren't any pro shops around that carry them.

Old
03-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf1479 View Post
I found an APX1 in 112 flex P88 curve online at a price I can handle. How are these things for harder shots? All the sites list them as LKP but in my limited experience LKP is weak for the occasional slap shot or one timer. Also, what is the grip like on these? I've never used grip, thinking about trying it out and baby powdering it if it is too strong. Sorry for so many questions, I live in BFE Alabama now and there aren't any pro shops around that carry them.
If you can use a 112 flex, you'll have a beastly shot. It has a dual kick point, which allows you to fire slapshots as a mid kick would. The grip isn't too tacky on the APX, it won't bother you.

Closed Thread