HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Mar. 20, 2014| Stars 2 at Flyers 4

Old
03-20-2014, 10:11 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
Jackets play 8 games in the last 12 days of the schedule, yikes.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Nope. Lots of people, including myself, thought giving Mason a rest was the smart move. Read the first few pages of the Chicago GDT.
giving mason a rest and emery playing are 2 different things.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Yeah, that's clearly the coach and not the fact that the team is actually playing like expected instead of seriously underachieving. Obviously that's all Berube.
Seriously?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
And to keep the Isles player love going, I hope we sign Montoya in the off season to be Mason back up, should be able to get him on a 2 yr deal at about 1 mill per.
i wish we had kudohbin (sp) that guy is tearing it up

Old
03-20-2014, 10:13 PM
flyers0909

I thought I read in the GDT earlier today that Read would be on the PP instead of Downie? Did that happen tonight? I thought I saw Downie out there on PP2.

flyers0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
giving mason a rest and emery playing are 2 different things.
Not when those are the only two goalies available.

Berube started Emery against Chicago and won the game. Mason had one of his best games of the season tonight after getting three days rest. It worked perfectly.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

Wings scored with .5 seconds on clock. Need them to lose, but suck it refs and Pens

Old
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i wish we had kudohbin (sp) that guy is tearing it up
Yup, but he resigned I believe.

Old
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
JABEE

Let's GO FLYERS!

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Wings scored with .5 seconds on clock. Need them to lose, but suck it refs and Pens
i can never root for the pens.

Old
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
You were the one who was proved wrong about starting Emery against Chicago being giving up on the game.

You are the one who is making a fool of himself by calling Berube a joke of a coach.

Keep it up and you'll just end up being added to a whole lot of ignore lists tonight.
Nobody wanted Emery to play and within minutes he proved why. Sure he recovered well enough but what if he hadn't and kept playing the way he had been? If the Flyers hadn't played so well in front of him he probably would have let in a couple more really weak goals.

Berube has more control over the lineup than any other aspect of the team, and he doesn't make good decisions. He's not solely responsible for the team turning the season around, the players are. They're the ones that started playing like expected, the first couple of games of the season were obviously much more about underachieving, not the absence of Berubes godlike coaching abilites. Obviously right now they're winning and playing well so some people are going to turn a blind eye to things like this, but it'd be smart for him to make changes before it costs us a game, not after.

And as for ignore lists, I couldn't care less. If people think I'm wrong here then they really don't have anything valuable to share themselves and I wouldn't miss out on anything by not seeing their posts. Obviously them not seeing my posts wouldn't matter to me at all.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Not when those are the only two goalies available.

Berube started Emery against Chicago and won the game. Mason had one of his best games of the season tonight after getting three days rest. It worked perfectly.
It really wasn't as big of gamble neither, once they sent their backup in Emery became a decent option. Berube had to utilize it, he may not get many chances to do so down the stretch.

Emery let up a weak one, their guy reciprocated, & on we went.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers0909 View Post
I thought I read in the GDT earlier today that Read would be on the PP instead of Downie? Did that happen tonight? I thought I saw Downie out there on PP2.
No, Read was not used tonight but the sample size was small, just two early powerplays. Downie 1:12, Read 0:00.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Jackets play 8 games in the last 12 days of the schedule, yikes.
That's insane. If I heard right they play the Rangers tomorrow and play Detroit twice. If true they pretty much control the majority of the open playoff spots here. Gonna be interesting.

Quote:
We should be worrying about our own division more then Detroit or Toronto and it's the Pens. So I'm fine with it.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Looks like the puck hit a stick right to a star so I can really pin that on read. I need another look at it though. Read is usually very responsible.
Read should have made the much safer play and gone up the boards with it.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Nobody wanted Emery to play
Stop lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo
Emery will get up for this game, he is playing against his former team where he won a cup. He hasn't played in a while and should either be ready to go or a little rusty. I think he will be gearing up to go here since he is playing his former team. Mason needs a rest here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays
good move going with Emery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe
Starting a tired Mason against Chicago is worse than starting Emery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy
They had to get Emery in sometime. Hell the hawks have their backup in. No excuses. Mason needs a break. He just played in a back to back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard
I don't mind Emery too much in this game.

If the Blackhawks play as well as they can the Flyers lose whatever... Mason cannot play every game from now on; I think the Flyers have to score ~4 tonight to win regardless of goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21
I think people are underestimating Emery. He's a solid backup. In his Defense, the flyers rarely give him any offense when he plays. Mason let's in 5 and they score 6. Emery let's in 5 the team gives him 1 or 0. He's a solid backup and will win tonight. Emery will be RAZOR sharp and lead the team to a very tough win.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Just noticed that after tonights games are over we're still going to have one less game played than the Rangers and two less than the Caps.

Old
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
bennysflyers16

Neal with two cross checks to Wings heads tonight, this loser will,never learn.

Old
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Swic21

Raffl is quickly becoming one of my favourite Flyers.
1.Simmer
2.G
3.Raffl

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:32 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Neal with two cross checks to Wings heads tonight, this loser will,never learn.
Any replays or links(twitter) with info? Not seeing it anywhere.

Edit: found it: https://vine.co/v/MMa0nFbHZ9M

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

Try this:

http://twitpic.com/dyw13j

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

Guy just doesn't learn, ties his skates too tight I guess. Shanny really needs to give him 5 plus everytime until he learns.

Old
Striiker
Orange and Black

Because clearly I meant literally nobody. You're really grasping at straws here.

My point was it's not like I was the only one who thought it was a bad idea to start Emery against one of the best teams in the league, instead of the obviously weaker Stars. The smart thing to do would have been play your starter against the better team and play your backup against the weaker one. Playing the worse goalie against the stronger team doesn't make much sense. Obviously since they won you can be Captain Hindsight and pretend it was a smart move all along, but I know you don't actually believe that. I'd also like to point out that that in the same post where I clearly literally meant Berube had given up ( ) I said that they'll only win if they play 100% perfect in front of him (also not 100% literal). They basically did, they really controlled most of the game and made it very easy for Emery after the first couple of minutes. In the few minutes where they didn't play well Emery got exposed immediately.

Old
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

We all are going to have our preferences as to who should be playing where and who shouldn't be playing at all. But the fact is, the coaches know all of these players better than any of us. I'd rather see Gus in the lineup than Grossman. But Gus is not really an alternative to Grossman. Grossman gives you a crease clearing presence that Gus will never have. Having Grossman in the lineup allows Berube to have a credible puck mover and a credible defensive d-man on each pair. That's what coaches typically try to do.

As for Downie, he's a better player than Rosehill (by miles) so he needs to play somewhere. He's just not a 4th line type player though, he's only going to be of some use (however small) if he's playing with some skilled players. Rinaldo and Hall are not those players. I would take Raffl over Downie in a heartbeat, but Raffl on the 4th line makes more sense than Downie on the 4th line. It just does. Raffl can be effective there, even if he could be more effective on a 2nd or 3rd line. Downie is a waste on the 4th line.

The problem is not that Berube is playing these guys, or how he's using them, so much as the fact that they're on the roster in the first place. That's on Homer, although I don't remember too many people complaining when either Downie or Grossmann were acquired (I didn't complain myself).

Hopefully Downie will not be re-signed and Grossmann will be traded. But Berube thus far has done a great job. The team right now looks nothing at all like the team that started the season. Berube has them working harder, playing smarter, and they're clearly now much more confident. I see better fundamental hockey than I think I ever saw under Laviolette. I see better spacing and gap control, better puck movement, better puck support, I see forwards consistently getting back on defense. I see a huge improvement in the transition game.

At this point, I don't know how anyone could have expected more of Berube (or any coach really) than what he's done. Obviously things can always change and the improvements we've seen this year are no guarantee that the Flyers are on the verge of a dynasty. But going by what I've seen to this point, if I was going to grade Berube right now I'd give him a solid "A".

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks MSE. Just brutal. I assume he didn't get called for the either. Real pos.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote