HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Mar. 20, 2014| Stars 2 at Flyers 4

Old
03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Yeah, Schenn is in no way worse then Grossmann. Even last season when both were much better Schenn was pretty rock steady in most ways. Even this season Schenn has had ups and downs while also looking much better with Gustafsson then anyone else and used to get screwed with being tied to Meszaros before he was traded. This season Grossmann doesn't really have ups and downs. It's mostly just downs. On his good nights he looks like he did tonight where he can't be blamed for anything egregious and on his worst nights he's the worst player on the ice.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's because the organization has a bizarre fixation on players like Grossmann. He's also older, so it's hard to believe that doesn't also factor.
Hey, I like Derian Hatcher and Rathje.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:08 PM
MadFerIt95
Im Just Gonna Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, Schenn is in no way worse then Grossmann. Even last season when both were much better Schenn was pretty rock steady in most ways. Even this season Schenn has had ups and downs while also looking much better with Gustafsson then anyone else and used to get screwed with being tied to Meszaros before he was traded. This season Grossmann doesn't really have ups and downs. It's mostly just downs. On his good nights he looks like he did tonight where he can't be blamed for anything egregious and on his worst nights he's the worst player on the ice.
I thought he got off to a pretty good start to the year and for a while was one of our most consistent defenseman. Just seems like evr since that assist to Schenn to beat NJ, he has been pretty bad

MadFerIt95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Hey, I like Derian Hatcher and Rathje.
Someday it's gonna be 1999 again.

That's only half joking, with the way the game is regressing we're nearly back in the DPE.

03-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I don't know why I am the one that has to keep bringing it up.
I don't know why you keep wasting our time posting ludicrously negative opinions about Luke Schenn in thread after thread, either. You're not convincing anyone.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Striiker
Non-factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I have never witnessed such an embarrassing meltdown after a win before.

I meant exactly what I said before the Chicago game - playing Emery was the smart decision given that Mason has just started two games in two days. Unlike you, I don't lie and then try and weasel out of it.
Ohh boy

Meltdown? Lying? Weasel? You're being way too dramatic and just plain incorrect. Seems like you're trying to make this a much bigger deal than it is.

First off, I have no clue how you would consider that a meltdown. It was one sentence of an opinion about the job the coach is doing based on three examples, which aren't even really controversial to begin with.

And I didn't say anything about what you said before the Chicago game, not sure why you brought that up. I certainly don't agree with it though. The smart move would have been to use Emery in either the game 2nd game against the Penguins or against the Stars, not against the best team of the three. If the problem was that Mason needed rest then it would've been smarter to let him sit on the 2nd game of a back to back, doesn't matter how busy he was in the 1st game.

Accusing me or "lying" and "weaseling" honestly gave me a chuckle because of how strange it was. Not sure if you're reading what you want to read instead of what's there or not, but either way you're wrong. Nothing I said was a lie, I just expected you to be smart enough to know not everything everyone says is to be taken literally. Obviously I over-exaggerate sometimes, like everyone does, but I would expect you to be able to catch that when I do it as blatantly as I did.

Anyway, I don't really care if you want to get all agitated over something as small as this, you're not one of the people on here whose opinion I respect so it's not a big deal.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't know why you keep wasting our time posting ludicrously negative opinions about Luke Schenn in thread after thread, either. You're not convincing anyone.
People come in with their own opinions and agendas on certain players and they never really stray from them, I get that. I am not trying to convince anyone of Schenn's horrible play. When it comes to him I have no agenda, but if a player is playing bad I am certainly going to acknowledge it and comment on it, and with Luke it has been going on for a while.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:28 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Simmonds is just a beast in front of the net on the PP, dude just parks his *** there & goes to work.

He's not the biggest guy (weight wise) & doesn't do deceptive stuff down there, teams know what he's going to do & they just can't stop him.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:55 AM
tymed

Schenn (423) is only at 30 games less than Grossmann (453) and is 5 years younger.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Harold Bingo
what

This winning stuff is fun.

The one negative thing I'll say is that Brayden Schenn has to seriously work on his puck control. He really has trouble receiving passes and he coughs up the puck far too often.

On a positive note, Michael Raffl's the man. He plays with great confidence and fearlessness and seems to play well on any line.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:06 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

chips it toward the empty net IT'S ROLLING ON ITS SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE and it goes wide!

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post

The one negative thing I'll say is that Brayden Schenn has to seriously work on his puck control. He really has trouble receiving passes and he coughs up the puck far too often.

On a positive note, Michael Raffl's the man. He plays with great confidence and fearlessness and seems to play well on any line.
Noticed that in the 3rd. This is probably why he can't drive the play himself.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:03 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
chips it toward the empty net IT'S ROLLING ON ITS SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE and it goes wide!
LOL, then he gave the star player crap for not letting it go into the net, I rolled my eyes at that. Think he called him a spoiled sport.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:50 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
And to keep the Isles player love going, I hope we sign Montoya in the off season to be Mason back up, should be able to get him on a 2 yr deal at about 1 mill per.
Yep and when his contract expires Okposo will be next .

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:53 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Neal with two cross checks to Wings heads tonight, this loser will,never learn.
One day he'll get what he deserves. Don't be surprised if it's Hartnell or Simmonds who play judge.

Old
03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Simmonds had his opportunity to do so in the playoffs that year when he two-handed Neal a few times in the leg & Neal still wouldn't go. Hartnell last year after the Voracek goal as well. The instigator rule really neuters any opportunity to get after guys like Neal.
Didn't see your post in advance. Sums it up perfectly for me.

Old
03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post

Is anyone else thinking that they may try Raffl at center right now to see if he can go up as the 3rd line C next season? In case Schenn is traded it would be Giroux - Couturier - Raffl - Laughton/Hall

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Tripod

People need to relax when it vines to Schenn. Remember that he is our youngest dman of the 7. He was good last year. He has been good this year when away from Mez.

Hell, since the deadline, he has 3 points in 7 games and is a +3. He has 1 game that he was a minus in. He is being played as a #6....what more do you expect?

We are 11-2-1 in our last 14 games and are squawking over our 6th dman and 3rd line tweener. Relax.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:13 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Raffl is quickly becoming one of my favourite Flyers.
1.Simmer
2.G
3.Raffl
No love for Couts? )

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:22 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
We all are going to have our preferences as to who should be playing where and who shouldn't be playing at all. But the fact is, the coaches know all of these players better than any of us. I'd rather see Gus in the lineup than Grossman. But Gus is not really an alternative to Grossman. Grossman gives you a crease clearing presence that Gus will never have. Having Grossman in the lineup allows Berube to have a credible puck mover and a credible defensive d-man on each pair. That's what coaches typically try to do.

As for Downie, he's a better player than Rosehill (by miles) so he needs to play somewhere. He's just not a 4th line type player though, he's only going to be of some use (however small) if he's playing with some skilled players. Rinaldo and Hall are not those players. I would take Raffl over Downie in a heartbeat, but Raffl on the 4th line makes more sense than Downie on the 4th line. It just does. Raffl can be effective there, even if he could be more effective on a 2nd or 3rd line. Downie is a waste on the 4th line.

The problem is not that Berube is playing these guys, or how he's using them, so much as the fact that they're on the roster in the first place. That's on Homer, although I don't remember too many people complaining when either Downie or Grossmann were acquired (I didn't complain myself).

Hopefully Downie will not be re-signed and Grossmann will be traded. But Berube thus far has done a great job. The team right now looks nothing at all like the team that started the season. Berube has them working harder, playing smarter, and they're clearly now much more confident. I see better fundamental hockey than I think I ever saw under Laviolette. I see better spacing and gap control, better puck movement, better puck support, I see forwards consistently getting back on defense. I see a huge improvement in the transition game.

At this point, I don't know how anyone could have expected more of Berube (or any coach really) than what he's done. Obviously things can always change and the improvements we've seen this year are no guarantee that the Flyers are on the verge of a dynasty. But going by what I've seen to this point, if I was going to grade Berube right now I'd give him a solid "A".
Great post!

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:25 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Is anyone else thinking that they may try Raffl at center right now to see if he can go up as the 3rd line C next season? In case Schenn is traded it would be Giroux - Couturier - Raffl - Laughton/Hall
Unless both Schenn and Vinny are gone next season I doubt it. I think it is more of the fact that while Hall is good on face offs he is better served to play wing. But it is nice to have a guy like Raffl who can play absolutely every forward position effectively

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:37 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
People need to relax when it vines to Schenn. Remember that he is our youngest dman of the 7. He was good last year. He has been good this year when away from Mez.

Hell, since the deadline, he has 3 points in 7 games and is a +3. He has 1 game that he was a minus in. He is being played as a #6....what more do you expect?

We are 11-2-1 in our last 14 games and are squawking over our 6th dman and 3rd line tweener. Relax.
Agreed. You gotta be patient with young D men. Don't wanna do to him what the leafs did.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Van Buren Boy
--------------------

I still don't grasp how Raffl is getting like 11 mins TOI and Downie 15 mins. That just raffles me.

Van Buren Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

Personally - in exchange for a legitimate 1st/2nd line scoring winger - I expect more than a struggling #6 defenseman. I think that is the source of most fans issue with him. I was never the biggest fan of JVR but think at this point the Flyers got hosed.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:04 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Buren Boy View Post
I still don't grasp how Raffl is getting like 11 mins TOI and Downie 15 mins. That just raffles me.
I agree. It pretty stupid. I understand that switching Downie and Raffl at even strength makes that 4th line terrible but Downie should at least be off the power play. He hasn't really had any scoring touch since his first few games here. Raffl should be getting that power play time even though there would be no right hand shots on it.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote