HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
03-20-2014, 02:03 PM
MattGTI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Apparently some people do care. If you don't, that's your problem that it bugs you so much. I can understand if they talk to the ref after every goal and/or waste game time, but often one will see refs/scorekeepers asking the players who did what so they're as close as they can be. Plus some of the leagues around here welcome corrections if you care to have them do so. If it were an unwelcome request like at your rink, then that's another thing.

And who knows, maybe some people are impressed. Maybe they have bets going or play fantasy. I know some some of our refs do at times
It doesn't bug me at all per se(other than the whole holding up the game). "Bothering" me, and me thinking its totally lame are two very different things. If I was bothered by it, I wouldn't find it so laughable.
I honestly can't fathom a 35 year old man looking at a website, and saying- "wait a minute, it was me who assisted on Jonesy's goal, not Mike."- then an email or phone call is immediatley rifled off to the league.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
It doesn't bug me at all per se(other than the whole holding up the game). "Bothering" me, and me thinking its totally lame are two very different things. If I was bothered by it, I wouldn't find it so laughable.
I honestly can't fathom a 35 year old man looking at a website, and saying- "wait a minute, it was me who assisted on Jonesy's goal, not Mike."- then an email or phone call is immediatley rifled off to the league.

Hey, I wouldn't want that jerk Mike stealing my assist either

Anecdote about a guy I play with like that:

One of the teams I play on, we have a guy who loooves to score. Only thing is he barely ever does. He'll complain when he doesn't get passes, though when he does (major cherry picker, no less) he usually flubs it trying to stickhandle too flashy. I'm a great playmaker, especially in the division this team is in, but no one can freakin' finish.

Anyway, a few games ago I went ballistic on this team and put in 6. He converted zero of my passes, of course. End of the game, he was upset that he didn't get any of our 9 (we won 9-6, I think). I looked at the scoresheet and saw that he was credited with two of my goals. I said "Hey, don't worry, they gave you 2 of mine anyway!" and he lit up like he really did score them

And now that I have this guy on my mind...

This guy though...he'll have a breakaway and lose the puck trying to dangle in the circles, or he'll lose it himself trying to go between his own legs around a defender. I don't even do **** like that and I'd be a better player if I shot w/the wrong-hand stick and had my skates on the wrong feet. That stuff annoys the hell out of me. Try to score in normal fashion first before you complain :p

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:23 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Hey, I wouldn't want that jerk Mike stealing my assist either

Anecdote about a guy I play with like that:

One of the teams I play on, we have a guy who loooves to score. Only thing is he barely ever does. He'll complain when he doesn't get passes, though when he does (major cherry picker, no less) he usually flubs it trying to stickhandle too flashy. I'm a great playmaker, especially in the division this team is in, but no one can freakin' finish.

Anyway, a few games ago I went ballistic on this team and put in 6. He converted zero of my passes, of course. End of the game, he was upset that he didn't get any of our 9 (we won 9-6, I think). I looked at the scoresheet and saw that he was credited with two of my goals. I said "Hey, don't worry, they gave you 2 of mine anyway!" and he lit up like he really did score them

And now that I have this guy on my mind...

This guy though...he'll have a breakaway and lose the puck trying to dangle in the circles, or he'll lose it himself trying to go between his own legs around a defender. I don't even do **** like that and I'd be a better player if I shot w/the wrong-hand stick and had my skates on the wrong feet. That stuff annoys the hell out of me. Try to score in normal fashion first before you complain :p
That is too funny. I think we all know "that guy". He's on almost every team, and its not that he is a bad dude, its just he thinks he is a little better than his skillset allows him to be. Its annoying, but I have learned to take it with a grain of salt.

On a side note to the post prior- if ref's are seeking out who the correct guys are to award points to, thats a different story altogether. I actually applaud a referee who would take the time to do that. Considering most refs in my leagues act like they don't even want to be there half the time.

Old
03-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Ozz

Quote:
That is too funny. I think we all know "that guy". He's on almost every team, and its not that he is a bad dude, its just he thinks he is a little better than his skillset allows him to be. Its annoying, but I have learned to take it with a grain of salt.

On a side note to the post prior- if ref's are seeking out who the correct guys are to award points to, thats a different story altogether. I actually applaud a referee who would take the time to do that. Considering most refs in my leagues act like they don't even want to be there half the time.
Yea it's all funny and to be taken with a grain of salt lest you drive yourself insane trying to get through a game. Thankfully my normal teams don't put me through this, but I'm slumming to help a friend out (and barely at that. They seem to be getting worse over time).

My favorite happening is when the refs ask the players and still get it wrong. It's either that or when absentees get goals (bonus hilarity if it's an absent goalie)!

Old
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Apparently some people do care. If you don't, that's your problem that it bugs you so much. I can understand if they talk to the ref after every goal and/or waste game time, but often one will see refs/scorekeepers asking the players who did what so they're as close as they can be. Plus some of the leagues around here welcome corrections if you care to have them do so. If it were an unwelcome request like at your rink, then that's another thing.

And who knows, maybe some people are impressed. Maybe they have bets going or play fantasy. I know some some of our refs do at times
Am I bothered by guys obsessed with stats? No.

Am I going to make fun of the guy who is obsessed with stats? Absolutely.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Based on this discussion I'm going to start a Fantasy Rec League Hockey...League. "With the first pick in the 2014 draft, Tikkanen is proud to select, from the silver division in Western Pennsylvania, 5 foot 9, 240 lb Thomas Smith, age 43". Not only will he be an asset to my team but he does great electrical work during the week, hope I can get a discount.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Am I bothered by guys obsessed with stats? No.

Am I going to make fun of the guy who is obsessed with stats? Absolutely.
Exactly.

I usually just ask these guys if that assist is going to help them score a better contract next season.

I've also noticed that it's less often the guys who are scoring or actually setting up the play who complain. It's the guy praying for that secondary 'cause they made a two foot pass in the neutral zone.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:03 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Guess what - tonight I gave "that guy" no less than 3 breakaway passes and he flubbed every one. I had their Dmen on me, worked them, and hit him with all primo passes.

He deflected one away unable to accept it because I sent it with some mustard (had to put it through both defenders), flubbed one with no one on him (just skate on a breakaway!), and the last one he stickhandled too deep and literally ran into the goalie's pad without even yet attempting to shoot or make an actual deke/move. I just can't imagine what is up w/those who never see to get better than doing that game after game. All the opportunities in the world... If this guy and others on this team could convert I'd probably have more assists than anyone else in the division has points

Old
03-21-2014, 02:44 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Guess what - tonight I gave "that guy" no less than 3 breakaway passes and he flubbed every one. I had their Dmen on me, worked them, and hit him with all primo passes.

He deflected one away unable to accept it because I sent it with some mustard (had to put it through both defenders), flubbed one with no one on him (just skate on a breakaway!), and the last one he stickhandled too deep and literally ran into the goalie's pad without even yet attempting to shoot or make an actual deke/move. I just can't imagine what is up w/those who never see to get better than doing that game after game. All the opportunities in the world... If this guy and others on this team could convert I'd probably have more assists than anyone else in the division has points
Don't worry. Next week you will hit him with 4 perfect passes, and he will actually get the shot off on two of them, of course it will be dead square in the goalies chest. All while obviously flubbing the other two again while trying to pull of a sweet toe drag.

Old
03-21-2014, 03:42 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night an offensive player got mad at a defensive player on my team for beating him to a puck and passing out . The offensive player grabbed the defense-man's stick and threw it 15 to 20 feet. I have never seen such a fit in my life. Has anyone else ever witnessed someone grab another players stick and throw it in the air?

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Last night an offensive player got mad at a defensive player on my team for beating him to a puck and passing out . The offensive player grabbed the defense-man's stick and threw it 15 to 20 feet. I have never seen such a fit in my life. Has anyone else ever witnessed someone grab another players stick and throw it in the air?
Not a teammate's

Old
03-21-2014, 08:01 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
umm? wow, can you get a suspension for punching out a teammate?

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Couldn't skate at public today because the rink's cooling system malfunctioned and half of it was a puddle. I am disappoint.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Ozz

Played the team full of refs today.

Aside from lots of missed calls for them and a couple questionable ones against us (whatever), we had to deal with a refused timeout for no reason (of course it led to the go-ahead goal) and them winning the faceoff by grabbing the puck w/a glove before it hit the ground. Ref just shrugged it off. We ended up winning in a shootout after OT went scoreless, thankfully. It was the semi-finals for playoffs.

Old
03-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Jisatsu

Quote:
I've seen a guy on my team go absolutely berserk at me once because I took a shot at an open net and hit the post. He complained that I didn't pass the puck to him while he was in front of the net with two defensemen between him and me. And by berserk I mean seriously thought I was going to have to fight a guy on my own team. Bad enough I hit the post on the open net, now you want to scream and fight over it? Oh ok.

Some people stress too much.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
I've seen a guy on my team go absolutely berserk at me once because I took a shot at an open net and hit the post. He complained that I didn't pass the puck to him while he was in front of the net with two defensemen between him and me. And by berserk I mean seriously thought I was going to have to fight a guy on my own team. Bad enough I hit the post on the open net, now you want to scream and fight over it? Oh ok.

Some people stress too much.
And next time you dish it, he'll whiff completely.

Old
03-24-2014, 12:54 AM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Based on this discussion I'm going to start a Fantasy Rec League Hockey...League. "With the first pick in the 2014 draft, Tikkanen is proud to select, from the silver division in Western Pennsylvania, 5 foot 9, 240 lb Thomas Smith, age 43". Not only will he be an asset to my team but he does great electrical work during the week, hope I can get a discount.
I would seriously be down for a fantasy league in my division. Draft myself 1st every time, even though I suck.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
OpenIceHit42

Had a guy in our playoff game last night (game was getting chippy) from the other team hook the ref as he skated by the bench and yelled “How do you like being f’ing hooked?!” .. Needless to say the ref gave him 5 and a game. I’ve never seen something happen like that.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Had a guy in our playoff game last night (game was getting chippy) from the other team hook the ref as he skated by the bench and yelled “How do you like being f’ing hooked?!” .. Needless to say the ref gave him 5 and a game. I’ve never seen something happen like that.
Wow, what an idiot. I would kick that guy out of the league entirely just for being stupid.

mikitas donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Hah that actually made me laugh. Under the 'never seen something like that before' category, reminds me of a young guy we had play for my team once at the start of the season when we were short. In the locker room he bragged about playing junior. And yeah he was good, but on the bench during games he started taking it upon himself to juggle our lineup mid-game. We basically humoured him. At some point there was an altercation where he got angry at the ref that there wasn't a call. He didn't hook him or anything, but at the end of the game he ripped off his jersey then went whining after the ref to show him the bruise on his arm or whatever the hell it was... obviously we never invited this guy back

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Lefty9420

Ahhh....reading through this thread reminds me why 9 years ago at the ripe old age of 25 I quit playing hockey to focus on coaching. After college I did the mens league/beer league thing for about 2-3 years. It was the most miserable time I ever had playing hockey. Tried multiple leagues/levels/rinks and teams. Everyone was the same. Guys think it's game 7 of the SC finals. I seriously witnessed more fights/idiots/nonsense in my short mens league career then I did my whole life playing travel/high school and college. To me it's not worth it. There were two final straws for me. One a guy got mad that another guy made him look silly one on one and later in the game drove him head first into the boards. Guy was ok but got stretchered/collared the whole nine yards. My last mens league game ended when I'm on a breakaway and guy literally two hand baseball swings me in the back of the knee and then wants to chirp me. I punch him with my glove on, walk off the ice and never went back. Have played in one mens league game since. My buddy plays on a team and they were desperate for players one game. Almost enough not to play. I reluctantly agree after a 3 year absence. He's like man you love it. Good clean hockey, no BS...yada yada yada. Game was a complete gong show, like 4 fights, guys getting thrown out. I'm like yeah, I'm done. Haven't played since. Which sucks because I really miss playing, but now at 34 after not playing for like 8-9 years, I couldn't even imagine going back. In another year or so I will be eligible for the over 35 league. Maybe I will consider it, but probably not.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Ahhh....reading through this thread reminds me why 9 years ago at the ripe old age of 25 I quit playing hockey to focus on coaching. After college I did the mens league/beer league thing for about 2-3 years. It was the most miserable time I ever had playing hockey. Tried multiple leagues/levels/rinks and teams. Everyone was the same. Guys think it's game 7 of the SC finals. I seriously witnessed more fights/idiots/nonsense in my short mens league career then I did my whole life playing travel/high school and college. To me it's not worth it. There were two final straws for me. One a guy got mad that another guy made him look silly one on one and later in the game drove him head first into the boards. Guy was ok but got stretchered/collared the whole nine yards. My last mens league game ended when I'm on a breakaway and guy literally two hand baseball swings me in the back of the knee and then wants to chirp me. I punch him with my glove on, walk off the ice and never went back. Have played in one mens league game since. My buddy plays on a team and they were desperate for players one game. Almost enough not to play. I reluctantly agree after a 3 year absence. He's like man you love it. Good clean hockey, no BS...yada yada yada. Game was a complete gong show, like 4 fights, guys getting thrown out. I'm like yeah, I'm done. Haven't played since. Which sucks because I really miss playing, but now at 34 after not playing for like 8-9 years, I couldn't even imagine going back. In another year or so I will be eligible for the over 35 league. Maybe I will consider it, but probably not.
that's a damn shame you got chased out of the game you love.

I'm in my 40's, and a beginner. i've played in a couple of beer leagues and while not as bad as that, enough to make me look elsewhere. Fortunately I'm low enough skill I can do instructional leagues. I love the instructional leagues because there's no shenanigans in most of them. Just guys and girls who want to enjoy experiencing the game

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:49 PM
JBear
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
that's a damn shame you got chased out of the game you love.

I'm in my 40's, and a beginner. i've played in a couple of beer leagues and while not as bad as that, enough to make me look elsewhere. Fortunately I'm low enough skill I can do instructional leagues. I love the instructional leagues because there's no shenanigans in most of them. Just guys and girls who want to enjoy experiencing the game
Long time lurker, first time poster. We're in a best of 5 final (tied 2-2) and I just need to rant a bit.

Though I play ball hockey, I'm almost done with it as well. Just too much ego on the line for some guys to handle. I'm going to suggest to the league if a player gets X amount of penalties in a season he's done for the regular season and possibly a big fine for the team. It helped in the other league we played in as we saw the amount of penalties and the amount of yelling at the refs go down significantly. I'm tired of almost breaking something because someone 'needs' to slew foot me or hack my ankle.

One thing I like about our league is they do have the teams in the proper divisions and if one starts dominating too much they are moved up. They hold their refs and timekeepers to a high standard to get things right and they do not ref in any division they play in. That being said, they're not perfect and do miss a lot of calls. Some also have unique styles or personalities which can be a positive and/or negative.

JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:40 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Why not do pick-up hockey? Usually the guys are good about sportsmanship and pass more often than not. The only downside is sometimes there just isn't enough guys.

In my beer league seasons, we'll only have 2 or 3 games in over 15 a season that there's any beef on the ice at all.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Chip39

So we have this guy that pretty much upsets(mod edit) everyone (mod edit) he plays again. It is nothing really bad hes not drilling guys just a little extra stick work, dives to make plays when he shouldn't. He drives the net a little aggressively nothing that bad but just enough to get on your nerves which adds up game to game. I get super annoyed because he raises the chippyness level of the whole game because as everyone gets agitated they take it out on us. Whatever I prefer when the game gets physical but (mod edit) he is in the box all the (mod edit) time and then the refs start tossing everybody to get the game under control and that cuts down icetime. ANNOYING.
Game last night he was up to his old tricks and the team we are playing has somebody just like him. Only way bigger stronger and younger and more likely to beat the **** out of somebody. Our guy is doing his thing so is their guy and there are probably about 15 penalties but it is a good game and we are down 6-7 with like 4 minutes left and our guy goes to the net with the puck gets dropped because he was being aggressive and the rebound is right between him and the goalie which he hacks at and misses while the goalie freezes it. ALL FIVE OF THEIR GUYS start wacking away at him with their sticks and their big ugly goes full rage and starts pumeling him. I said i was going to let him get his ass kicked but this time he really didn't deserve it so I go in toss a couple of guys off him and grab the big guy whom is cross checking him in the head. While I am holding this guy he is screaming and having a temper tantrum flaling his arms and screaming. the refs get in there tell me to let go I do and they kick him and another guy out. Their whole team freaks out They put our guy in for.... I don't know being an ass? And afterwards they start yelling at me and I get put in roughing. The other team keeps complaining that I was the third man in and should be booted and suspended. The refs told me the same but gave me roughing. I'm thinking why would anybody complain that I stopped punches from flying and anybody getting hurt or suspended. Your welcome.

less of a frustration more of a fun story. Some people just can't have fun no matter what. Oh no! he keeps touching our goalie I should probably hit him in the face with my stick.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-26-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: phrasing
Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote