HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs @ Leafs - HNIC!

Old
03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I love how in the middle of a playoff race MT decides to play Galchenyuk at centre. FFS, I can't believe this team is juggling lines. The lines aren't the problem, they've played well the last few games, finally have a balanced attack.

MT needs to fix defensive coverage and the transition game. It flat out sucks. Teams with less puck moving ability on the back end have better transition games.
True. As you know, I keep saying this. How many other teams do that? But if you HAVE to change it for some reasons, might as well do it better.

But if you think we can't changes the lines in the middle of a playoff race, I'd think that they'd probably won't be able to fix the defensive coverage and transition game too....that's surely too late for that. Frankly, at this point, we need our players to executed out of their minds, great PP and PK, and great goaltending.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If you put Galchenyuk at C, you absolutely NEED to put him in a position to succeed. You really think that Bourque is Gionta is a great combination? By putting Vanek in that line, you provide the offense to Galchenyuk that will make him succeed offensively. By keeping Gionta on that line, you provide that safe defensive play that this line wouldn't be a liability. As far as Vanek and Gionta, yes...obviously, we've seen that combination for 1 game in a row and we can TOTALLY come to the conclusion that it's done and over with.

By putting Bourque on the DD and Pac line, you convince him that he's the puck retriever. You force him to become the "Gallgher" on that line and he'll have to work his butt off to stay on that line. And it will make that 1st line less predictable 'cause DD will never shoot ever again. You want to keep that chemistry between Pac and Vanek? No problem. There's PP's for that.
Yes I want Galchenyuk to succeed.
More concerned about the team succeeding than rearranging the entire forward line up for one player. I couldn't disagree more with any of your suggestions so I'm not going to waste our time debating on it. I'm happy with the lines.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:30 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 12m
#Habs practice lines:
Pacioretty/Desharnais/Vanek
Bričre/Plekanec/Gallagher
Bourque/Galchenyuk/Gionta
Moen/Eller/Weise
White, Parros

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 10m
#Habs back end in practice
Markov - Emelin
Bouillon - Subban
Murray - Weaver

Tinordi rotated in after initial rushes.

Price
Budaj
Nearly wet myself...

Then I saw Bork on his wing... Kid can't catch a break!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:32 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Tinordi benched!

Therrien is so good at giving conidence to young players.... Dumdass.
Didn't you know, the best way to teach a rookie is to punish the **** out of them for any mistake. Opposite of a veteran who you play more for making a mistake.

Makes sense if your MT

it could have worked for Columbus last night after Johanson's start. Bad first period in MT world would have meant a benching and lead to him not scoring in the 3rd. Coaching matters!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Therrien is a dolt. That is all.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Smokey Thompson

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gionta 3rd line

WTF Tinordi scratched for 1 ****ing mistake ? Talk about building confidence, Therrien.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Angels

If they are going to punish for mistakes from the last game, might as well scratch half the team...

Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Don't have much of a problem with those lines. You guys overreact way too much.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gionta 3rd line

WTF Tinordi scratched for 1 ****ing mistake ? Talk about building confidence, Therrien.
I'm completely against the idea to scratch or bench a rookie after a mistake. However, Tinordi is more than a mistake. He has been bad in most of his games, not just yesterday.
By the way, I've been always in favor of playing the kid, but I agree with MT to scratch Tinordi.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I'm completely against the idea to scratch or bench a rookie after a mistake. However, Tinordi is more than a mistake. He has been bad in most of his games, not just yesterday.
By the way, I've been always in favor of playing the kid, but I agree with MT to scratch Tinordi.
Murray has been worse than Tinordi in almost every game he's played.

And more sheltered. It's not particularly close.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Tinordi makes a mistake. Gets scratched, despite playing well for several games. He's been gaining in confidence, buts that's all out the window now.

Old
03-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Him and Weaver have been as good a 3rd pairing we've had all season.

Old
03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Tinordi makes a mistake. Gets scratched, despite playing well for several games. He's been gaining in confidence, buts that's all out the window now.
I don't know, he's been okay, not much better than any of our other bottom pairing defensemen really. Even if you take last night's gaffe out of the equation altogether I would still have a hard time making a clear case for him to play over anyone else.

Tinordi's a big boy, he's been scratched before and he'll be scratched again. We didn't shatter him, don't worry.

Old
03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
FazChenyuk

These 4 lines gives us 4 lines , it's really well spread out. I like them since Prust is injured, eller might have to play on 4th line haha. Poor Tinordi, playing for a crappy Hamilton team then this....

FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Andy

Quote:
...Because the line combos aren't a problem. The lines have been balanced the last few games for like the first time all season. The Habs are 70 games into the season and still trying to find the "right combos". Lastly, changing the lines won't fix the defensive issues that are stemming from the system employed. Inserting Bourque and Murray in the lineup, putting Galchenyuk at Centre, dropping Eller a line and benching White won't change the fact that the habs continuously allow odd-man rushes and breakaways, concede the neutral zone, are passive at the blue line and have no transition game because the gap between the forwards and the D-men is too big.

Adjusting the lines is trying to fix a problem not really there. Everyone not named DD and Pacioretty are getting new linemates every second-third game, it's a bit much. The team didn't lose yesterday because the lines weren't right. It's also a huge 360 from Therrien's comments after the Avs that he trusts his lines.

I thought the forwards have looked good on the whole for a few games now...the attack was balanced, they were playing uptempo and all three lines, even the 4th line were generating scoring chances.

This team is really frustrating to follow beyond a superficial level.

Last edited by Andy: 03-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
the habs continuously allow odd-man rushes and breakaways, concede the neutral zone, are passive at the blue line and have no transition game because the gap between the forwards and the D-men is too big.
What makes you think the coaching staff hasn't already identified these as problems and that they're not already working to fix them?

One isn't mutually exclusive to the other. Just because the lines shuffled a bit doesn't mean this is Therrien's one and only solution to whatever's ailing us. So why interpret it that way?

If anything, our 2nd and 3rd lines could use a kick in the pants too.

Old
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
As far as tinordi goes, whether he made a mistake or not is irrelevant. How can we put Murray in the lineup when the leafs have last change?

Tinordi-Weaver works because Tinordi can move the puck

Murray-Weaver is a struggle just to clear the end.

Be yours to hold it high. Let's go
StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
...Because the line combos aren't a problem. The lines have been balanced the last few games for like the first time all season. The Habs are 70 games into the season and still trying to find the "right combos". Lastly, changing the lines won't fix the defensive issues that are stemming from the system employed. Inserting Bourque and Murray in the lineup, putting Galchenyuk at Centre, dropping Eller a line and benching White won't change the fact that the habs continuously allow odd-man rushes and breakaways, concede the neutral zone, are passive at the blue line and have no transition game because the gap between the forwards and the D-men is too big.

Adjusting the lines is trying to fix a problem not really there. Everyone not names DD, Pacioretty and Vanek are getting new linemates every second-third game, it's a bit much. The team didn't lose yesterday because the lines weren't right. It's also a huge 360 from Therrien's comments after the Avs that he trusts his lines.

I thought the forwards have looked good on the whole for a few games now...the attack was balanced, they were playing uptempo and all three lines, even the 4th line were generating scoring chances.

This team is really frustrating to follow beyond a superficial level.
Couldn't agree more. Its a wonder how Therrien is blind to everything you said; the defensive zone coverage, the nz coverage, the non existent transition game, etc. Changing line combos is an easy cop out.

I'll admit that I'm excited to see Galchenyuk at center. Toronto may be the perfect team to put him at center against. Not sure if there is a team weaker than them down the middle.

Old
03-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bourque on Therrien.

Quote:
"We didn’t really talk a ton, but he doesn’t really need to talk to me, I think I understand what he’s thinking"
https://twitter.com/GLefrancoisRC/st...58270872563712

Old
03-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
What makes you think the coaching staff hasn't already identified these as problems and that they're not already working to fix them?

One isn't mutually exclusive to the other. Just because the lines shuffled a bit doesn't mean this is Therrien's one and only solution to whatever's ailing us. So why interpret it that way?

If anything, our 2nd and 3rd lines could use a kick in the pants too.
The problems have been identifiable for months now. Have they been working to fix the problems for months?

Our top line got out shot 13-5 vs the Avs, despite playing vs their 3rd line. They also got dominated last night, but managed to score a goal.

Old
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Quote:
What does that even mean?! Talk to your players Michel

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Tuggy

Quote:

That says all that needs to be said about Therrien.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

That says all that needs to be said about Therrien.
Personnally......I think it says a lot about the 2 people. I will never understand why a coach can communicate a lot with its players. That was the same with Carbonneau and Co.

Having said that....Bourque has to know that he has to play better. Do the dirty work, and work harder. He doesn't have to "think he knows"...he has to know.

Old
03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
As far as tinordi goes, whether he made a mistake or not is irrelevant. How can we put Murray in the lineup when the leafs have last change?

Tinordi-Weaver works because Tinordi can move the puck

Murray-Weaver is a struggle just to clear the end.
Murray was a big part of the PK last time we played them and it's probably to be expected they will get more then a few tomorrow night. That's why they're probably going with him

I'm surprised they haven't sent Tinordi down yet and recalled Beaulieu

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:45 PM
HeShootsHeScores

This is imo, THE game. Forget the bruins, chances are we face the leafs in the first round and both teams are pretty equal with each his own up and downsides. In this crucial segment of PO preparation, this is a huge test. I'd be ok with a win vs the leafs and a loss vs boston. Boston will eventually come in the POs and then we will think about them.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote