HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zach Parise

Old
02-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Zach Parise

Just another reason why as much as I hate the Devils, I admire the hell out of them. They make the playoffs every year for a decade and come out with more top prospects than we have despite our terrible seasons. Unbelievable. Time to revamp our North American scouting department?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Just another reason why as much as I hate the Devils, I admire the hell out of them. They make the playoffs every year for a decade and come out with more top prospects than we have despite our terrible seasons. Unbelievable. Time to revamp our North American scouting department?
I really thought this would be a hate thread. Tremendous class shown.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I wanna hear Sather's excuse for that draft pick. If the chances are 29 out of 30 players make it in the first round from the 03 draft, that goes to show bad scouting especially since it was a deep draft.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I wanna hear Sather's excuse for that draft pick. If the chances are 29 out of 30 players make it in the first round from the 03 draft, that goes to show bad scouting especially since it was a deep draft.
Everyone let it go already...everytime Zach Parise scores, gets an assist, or saves a kitten from a tree, this same old thread comes up.

If picking Zach Parise is the one thing you'd do w/ a time machine, you SERIOUSLY should not be allowed to use this time machine.

*JOrts to AHall was a mistake...but do we bring that up? *

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Everyone let it go already...everytime Zach Parise scores, gets an assist, or saves a kitten from a tree, this same old thread comes up.

If picking Zach Parise is the one thing you'd do w/ a time machine, you SERIOUSLY should not be allowed to use this time machine.

*JOrts to AHall was a mistake...but do we bring that up? *

I just hope we dont have the same scouts from the 03 draft.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Ryan Getzalf, Corey Perry, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook... The list goes on and on

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:55 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Ryan Getzalf, Corey Perry, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook... The list goes on and on

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Crease

I didn't start this thread specifically about the 2003 debacle, but more importantly the mess of drafts over the last 10 years or so that seemed to yield almost no compensation for the multitude of regular season failures we've endured.

What has this organization done, if anything, to fix the seemingly never-ending trend of terrible drafting?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Barnaby

I remember that draft show. "This kid Parise is going to be a player." ... The New York Rangers select Huge Wasteeee .. damnit. What kills me is that 2/3 of the people on this board would have said Parise was their fav NHL player at this point... and that's without even bringin up a Seabrook or Getzlaf...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:44 AM
19nazzy

We'll (Vancouver) trade you guys scouts.

02-23-2007, 05:01 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Well the Islanders didn't do much better. The fact that his dad had played for the team makes it worse. Jessiman still might be a player, or at least an asset for a trade somehow.

BTW, the Devils drafted Neil Brady of Brian Leetch so it all evens out.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:39 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I often wondered about why we did not select Parise, how much that he was J.P's kid played into it, if at all. In the ultimate of ironies how great would it have been to turn the tables and select JP;s kid and have him play for the hated NYRs. I thought he was a great pick, especially for the devils and where they were drafting in that draft.

When you watch players that you've drafted they have to continually move forward in their game, show progress. We can bemoan picks like Jessiman, but it is funny how the same scouts don't get credit for picking Staal! Or Lundqvist, or Prucha, Sauer, Dubinski, Dupont, etc. Drafting is hard. You win some, you lose many.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:33 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I often wondered about why we did not select Parise, how much that he was J.P's kid played into it, if at all. In the ultimate of ironies how great would it have been to turn the tables and select JP;s kid and have him play for the hated NYRs. I thought he was a great pick, especially for the devils and where they were drafting in that draft.

When you watch players that you've drafted they have to continually move forward in their game, show progress. We can bemoan picks like Jessiman, but it is funny how the same scouts don't get credit for picking Staal! Or Lundqvist, or Prucha, Sauer, Dubinski, Dupont, etc. Drafting is hard. You win some, you lose many.
Problem is....the Rangers seem to win very few, and lose way too many!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

He certainly is a good player, but we can run off missed opportunities for days and days.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The Rangers' drafting over the last few years hasn't been too bad at all. We've got a bunch of great defence prospects and young players, we've got two great young goalies in the system. The Jessiman pick might have been a mistake, but that was the same draft where in the 4th round, we got our beloved Nigel Dawes. In the 2nd round, we picked up Ivan Baranka, who might end up being a very good defenceman. In the 7th round we picked up Jan Marek, who has become part of the Sean Avery package. In the 3rd round we got Kenny Roche, who might well end up being a serviceable NHL'er.

The Rangers can be faulted for missing out on Parise and Getzlaf, but they can also be credited with having put together, overall, a decent draft. The same can be said for both of the next two years.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

When all of our stud Defensemen come up in the next couple of years, you won't be complaining much about drafting then.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Well the Islanders didn't do much better. The fact that his dad had played for the team makes it worse. Jessiman still might be a player, or at least an asset for a trade somehow.

BTW, the Devils drafted Neil Brady of Brian Leetch so it all evens out.
yea, but since 1994, name one year where the Ranger first round pick has been unquestionably better in the NHL than the Devil first round pick. You can't. PLUS, almost all of those years, the devils had a better record than the rangers.

It's a testament to the devils scouting, and it's amazing that they continue to bring in young kids year after year who jump right into the system without missing a beat.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Jamie Lundmark was better than Ari Ahonen, but I understand your point. Although for years Brian Leetch killed the Devils and we could have had either him, or Vincent Damphousee, and not Neil Brady.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
kevintri

I remember MSG doing a mini-series on the Rangers draft that year. Maloney did all the work, Sather smoked the all Cigars. They said they couldn't afford a "miss". They showed Parise interviews among others. I guess they "missed".

kevintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
yea, but since 1994, name one year where the Ranger first round pick has been unquestionably better in the NHL than the Devil first round pick. You can't. PLUS, almost all of those years, the devils had a better record than the rangers.

It's a testament to the devils scouting, and it's amazing that they continue to bring in young kids year after year who jump right into the system without missing a beat.
Rangers scouting had been a joke for years until recently. Remember the Ferraro brothers, Brendl, Lundmark, and and countless other guys who never even made it to the NHL. Utterly disgusting.

Even today the Euro scouting is better than the NA scouting. Fortunately, we were able to find some good Defensemen, but on the offensive side, I'm not convinced that there's much along the lines of 1st line players.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I would not mind if we churn out low-upside players who just simply make the NHL like Parise. That's why, get on the Bill Sweatt/Dana Tyrell 2007 Draft bus now!

^^That should be Parise was a low-risk player^^

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 02-23-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I would not mind if we churn out low-upside players who just simply make the NHL like Parise. That's why, get on the Bill Sweatt/Dana Tyrell 2007 Draft bus now!
Zach Parise is a low upside player who just made the NHL?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post

Parise is hardly a low-upside player. The guy was an absolute star at UND (probably should have won the Hobey), and is going to be a multiple All-Star in the NHL.

I really don't like having to hate Parise, because I like UND and I've respected the hell out of him ever since he was there. I was not happy when the Devils took him.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Zach Parise is a low upside player who just made the NHL?
Compared to, say, Hugh Jessiman, yes. My statement was not meant to mean Parise did not have above average skills.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote