HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve F Yzerman New Contract being worked on

Old
03-16-2014, 04:22 PM
DFC

vCash: 500
All GM tenures end, but it's not all that hard to predict Yzerman. He won't leave the Lightning high and dry as soon as a GM spot becomes available in Detroit. That's just not how he works. If his contract expires as the Wings' GM spot opens up, then I think it's a possibility that he'll go back to Detroit. But it's not something we won't see coming a mile off. He won't leave mid-contract to go back to Detroit. That's just not in his DNA.

He's also in a great situation in Tampa and I think he recognizes that. I know it's kind of morbid to say this, but Mike Illitch won't be the Wings' owner for eternity, and Yzerman's bond with Vinik is growing nothing but stronger. For all the credit we give Yzerman, Vinik deserves a ton of credit too for having the backbone to stand behind some of Yzerman's bolder moves (Vinny, MSL).

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:32 PM
MattM92

vCash: 50
I don't see Yzerman leaving anytime soon. He's been building an annual contender here, I don't see why he would leave that to begin retooling the Wings before he has a few years of success here. Not that the Wings are hopelessly barren, but they are slowly on the decline while the Bolts are quickly on the rise.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I don't see Yzerman leaving anytime soon. He's been building an annual contender here, I don't see why he would leave that to begin retooling the Wings before he has a few years of success here. Not that the Wings are hopelessly barren, but they are slowly on the decline while the Bolts are quickly on the rise.
Maybe you should do a little research. Detroit for sure has the kids we have even name brands. They are stacked and their defense is strongest more so than forwards.

Which is scary as hell since our question is defense Just stating it you can believe Detroit might stumble around a bit I do not think they are right back on top over next 2-3 years like us and they SCARE me as a lover of the organization and of the wings. They scare me more than any other team out there for what I want from Tampa to become.

If we fix the D thing? Get deep there I will be a lot happier.

Unfinished Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Maybe you should do a little research. Detroit for sure has the kids we have even name brands. They are stacked and their defense is strongest more so than forwards.

Which is scary as hell since our question is defense Just stating it you can believe Detroit might stumble around a bit I do not think they are right back on top over next 2-3 years like us and they SCARE me as a lover of the organization and of the wings. They scare me more than any other team out there for what I want from Tampa to become.

If we fix the D thing? Get deep there I will be a lot happier.
I know Detroit has some pieces, but if their prospect pool was so strong then this wouldn't be the first year in the past 2.5 decades that the Red Wings won't be making the playoffs. As I said, they aren't barren, but they aren't the team they used to be.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:50 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

I like both teams, but Detroit has injuries that are unreal. You have your organization's top 5 centers all out at the same time and think where TBL would be? Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, and Anderson . TBL wouldn't even be battling for a playoff spot if they loss Stamkos, Flipulla, T. Johnson, Thompson, and Pyatt. Detroit young guns ( Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan) beat Palat, TJ, Panik, and the rest of TBL prospects in the AHL. I think both teams have a bright future, but detroit has been bitten by age and the injury bug more than usual for any team I have ever witnessed. Their defensive prospects seem to be great in Sproul, Quellette, Marchenko, and Almquist. I think the first three will be nhl defenseman someday. I like both teams and no need to bash either one. Stevie Y will always be the captain of the Redwings. He learned everything he knows from being Assistant GM in Detroit and as a player. I hope he doesn't bolt when Holland retires. I think the Lightning have a better core for the next two or three years though. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall are all great players but are aging and injury prone.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I know Detroit has some pieces, but if their prospect pool was so strong then this wouldn't be the first year in the past 2.5 decades that the Red Wings won't be making the playoffs. As I said, they aren't barren, but they aren't the team they used to be.
We had a tough year go look at time off ice for their stars? They have been decimated by injuries I watch the games is unreal they are sticking around to be honest.

Go look at the kids stats?

Nyquist is at a 0.75 pace. This is what mean when should look at stuff.

They are getting rid of 99% of the dead weight the guys who should not be resigned this year.

Weiss needs to have a bounce back year. If that happens they are still a favorite for cup next year. Count on it. If they were healthy? I would bet on them to win the cup at this point.

I remember the last time they were healthy they beat boston and dominated a hot boston this was with winning like 3-4 in a row against good west teams.

Tootoo is only guy on contract next year of the old guys or dead weight guys so to speak.

I would take their d prospects every day of week and match with any teams. They have 2-3 each year ready to be up and some maybe stars but all seem very very good.

Also is a lot of games left? I would not consider anyone a shoe in for playoffs at this point. Teams will have to step up they have a history of doing it?

They got like six kids up right now I think. Really decimated in injuries but heart is big so I wouldnt say they are not gonna make the playoffs. Figure other teams will falter.

Yes datsyuk is not getting younger.

Zetterberg might not be same.

The kids though are plenty dammed good and for real. They will figure it out and be right back at the top of food chain.

Old
03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

I think if there were no strings attached, Yzerman would pick Detroit over Tampa Bay as of right now. In 10 years though, he may like Tampa Bay more.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Let's get back to talking about Yzerman. In the past year:
  1. He brought in Bishop, the starter this team has needed since 2004.
  2. Traded in Lecavalier and his contract for Filpulla
  3. Brought in Callahan AND PICKS (Magnificent) for an MSL that was adamant on leaving
  4. Brought in Jon Cooper and his support coaching staff
  5. Due to his management team's amazing drafting, we have one of the brightest futures in the entire league
  6. We might have two Calder candidates

Does this guy win GM of the year?

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

I AGREE Yzerman is building a hockey team for years to come.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Let's get back to talking about Yzerman. In the past year:
  1. He brought in Bishop, the starter this team has needed since 2004.
  2. Traded in Lecavalier and his contract for Filpulla
  3. Brought in Callahan AND PICKS (Magnificent) for an MSL that was adamant on leaving
  4. Brought in Jon Cooper and his support coaching staff
  5. Due to his management team's amazing drafting, we have one of the brightest futures in the entire league
  6. We might have two Calder candidates

Does this guy win GM of the year?
No he should be in running but think Colorado even though am unsure who the GM is lol is going to take this type of thing this year. We always had the faces stamkos or marty in weak EAST this year and colorado is a complete turn around from last year with no one you can say hey he is ELITE and one of the best players in the league yet. They have some good ones but not MSL or stamkos level.

Is also going to be some votes for St louis I would assume after the goalie move and their record etc.

Not saying Stevie is not deserving saying just aint gonna work out this year.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
No he should be in running but think Colorado even though am unsure who the GM is lol is going to take this type of thing this year. We always had the faces stamkos or marty in weak EAST this year and colorado is a complete turn around from last year with no one you can say hey he is ELITE and one of the best players in the league yet. They have some good ones but not MSL or stamkos level.

Is also going to be some votes for St louis I would assume after the goalie move and their record etc.

Not saying Stevie is not deserving saying just aint gonna work out this year.
What moves did the GM do? That team is close to the same as last year + MacKinnon, I don't see why the GM would even be in the running. Roy needs a good look with Cooper for the Jack Adams though.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:14 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
@Robert & Steve: The name you guys are looking for is Greg Sherman btw.

That said, Roy and Sakic seem to have the final word in decisions regarding the team: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...19658649694208

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

That said, Roy and Sakic seem to have the final word in decisions regarding the team: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...19658649694208
Know the sherman situation why didnt name sakic or roy lol.

93 points from 15th worst team. I get duchene and mackinnon but is not Marty or Stamkos. I think these awards generally go to that team over that GM case in point think st louis if wins president think is for best record that GM takes this award cause of the miller trade and record etc.

We will see Stevie is doing a hell of a job again.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
DFC

Quote:
Know the sherman situation why didnt name sakic or roy lol.

93 points from 15th worst team. I get duchene and mackinnon but is not Marty or Stamkos. I think these awards generally go to that team over that GM case in point think st louis if wins president think is for best record that GM takes this award cause of the miller trade and record etc.

We will see Stevie is doing a hell of a job again.
It's the new NHL. Teams don't fire GMs, they just hire Presidents of Hockey Operations to do the GM's job. ...Until the PoHO fires the GM (see: Brian Burke, Calgary)

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Cyborg Yzerberg
Sitting on a Cloud

Steve Yzerman's the most loyal guy. He's sticking with the Lightning until he's fired, not re-signed, or retires, IMO.

Cyborg Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:26 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
i don't see yzerman leaving. not in his DNA as said already. after the team he has build, vinny and MSL situations etc. i really don't see him leaving.

detroit's future isn't necessarily bleak but tampa's future looks better.

and as nill left to dallas last summer, it seems like holland is staying in his job for a while.

i think many red wings fans would be thrilled to have stevie y as their GM but i think many also think that it isn't realistic in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

Roy talks to half of the league, sakic to the half or so. something like that. was mentioned a while ago. sakic has the final say.

sherman does the paper work and goes fishing. he's barely ever anywhere and is never in news or interviews or anywhere.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote