HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings '13-'14 Thread: WHL CHAMPIONS!

View Poll Results: Do you like the Oil Kings new jerseys?
Yes 48 57.83%
No 22 26.51%
Unsure 13 15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I hope you didn't get any playoff tix.

Anyway, if this is what the team will look like after Lazar and co. graduate next year, we're in for a rebuild for a few years.
Actually haven't renewed my season tickets yet. Might not. This ****show didn't need to happen.

You're right, we're going to be mighty lean for the next few years. Too bad, new arena and two crap teams to play in it.

Outshot 20-6, down 3-0 after 1.

Old
03-16-2014, 05:49 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Actually haven't renewed my season tickets yet. Might not. This ****show didn't need to happen.

You're right, we're going to be mighty lean for the next few years. Too bad, new arena and two crap teams to play in it.

Outshot 20-6, down 3-0 after 1.
Red Deer NEED this game. This game to us just decides who we play. Kind of seems like we want to play them in the playoffs.

Old
03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Just need to steal some of Portland's recruiting machinery.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Just got tickets for home game 2 this Sunday. Can't wait, my first chance to wear my Oil Kings jersey.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
JordanGalhanth

Call me crazy, but I somehow suspect that we won't be going very deep this year. The OK's have struck me as being too inconsistent and noncommittal this year - particularly since the double-digit winning streak ended a few weeks ago.

Old
03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Anyway, if this is what the team will look like after Lazar and co. graduate next year, we're in for a rebuild for a few years.
Game meant nothing to us and everything to them and it showed. It was brutal. RD plays PA Tuesday for the right to be crushed by the OKs. I bought seven PO packages.

Old
03-16-2014, 08:45 PM
40oz

I don't think they'll be terrible, they have some good young D and Jarry will be back. In the past they've done well drafting and Edmonton should be a considered a desirable place for WHL hopefuls with the facilities and exposure the players get.

Last year Halifax rebuilt their top 6 by making some pretty inexpensive trades for higher picks in the import draft that'll set them up for a few year at least (Ehlers and Meier).

Old
03-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Game meant nothing to us and everything to them and it showed. It was brutal. RD plays PA Tuesday for the right to be crushed by the OKs. I bought seven PO packages.
Pretty sure the Oil Kings would rather play Red Deer in 1st round , they seemed to sit a lot of their big guns today.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:29 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:

I'm not so sure of this. Next season at least they'll still be competitive. Jarry will be back with the team(Santos is bad, not saying Jarry wins them the game today but it's much closer IMO) which will be huge. He should be the top goalie in the WHL. The D will still be pretty strong IMO, even with them likely losing Reinhart, Corbett and probably one of Sautner or Orban; guys like Irving, Mayo and Mills all have bright futures. Even up front, I've been impressed with the play of many of the young guys.

The way they're built, I find it hard to see them as a bottom feeder team again. They play a really strong team game, and don't really rely on star players to shoulder the load.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I'm not so sure of this. Next season at least they'll still be competitive. Jarry will be back with the team(Santos is bad, not saying Jarry wins them the game today but it's much closer IMO) which will be huge. He should be the top goalie in the WHL. The D will still be pretty strong IMO, even with them likely losing Reinhart, Corbett and probably one of Sautner or Orban; guys like Irving, Mayo and Mills all have bright futures. Even up front, I've been impressed with the play of many of the young guys.

The way they're built, I find it hard to see them as a bottom feeder team again. They play a really strong team game, and don't really rely on star players to shoulder the load.
Well it might not be a rebuild like the Oilers have done it … but it will still be a few years of treading water and being a bubble team until they can restock the cupboards.

They don't have anyone coming up who is close to a Samuelsson or Lazar.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:33 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post

The goals Santos gave up were mostly really bad. 2 were from him leaving a gap between him and the post, just not hugging it. One was an awkward five hole goal and the other two were good shots but I feel like Jarry could of got in the way.

Either way we weren't winning when we weren't scoring cause all our threats weren't in the game or were playing half assed

Old
03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Brewster

Can't say I expected the boys to put together another 50 win campaign- heck of a regular season by the Oil Kings. If they can find their mid-season consistency again in the playoffs, we should be in for another great run.

So, Red Deer or PA? I think I'd rather steer clear of Bartosak.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Oil Kings play Draisaitl and the Raiders in the 1st round.. great chance to see a potential Oiler pick..

Old
03-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Oil Kings play Draisaitl and the Raiders in the 1st round.. great chance to see a potential Oiler pick..
Great to see P.A. come back in the third and win it. Justice prevails.
Can't make it to Games 1 & 2 but hoping for a decisive Game 5 against the Raiders.

Old
03-19-2014, 03:03 PM
wicked username

vCash: 1400
Any chance kootenay beats Calgary? Really wanna see ok play this year and don't want to drive 6 hours for a game. Sam Reinhart has been playing great lately.

Old
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked username View Post
Any chance kootenay beats Calgary? Really wanna see ok play this year and don't want to drive 6 hours for a game. Sam Reinhart has been playing great lately.
A healthy Kootaney would have a chance, but they have injuries at key positions, so I'd say it's doubtful.

Old
03-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Jean Ralphio

http://whl.ca/article/overtime-forma...ge-in-edmonton

Quote:
The Western Hockey League has announced that the playoff game between the Prince Albert Raiders and the Edmonton Oil Kings on Saturday, March 22, may require a shoot-out to determine the winning Club.

NHL Regulations require that the ice in an NHL venue must be clear for three hours prior to one of their games. Prince Albert and Edmonton are scheduled to play at 1:30 pm on Saturday, March 22, in Rexall Place, followed by a NHL contest between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers at 8:00 pm.
Consequently, if the WHL game is tied and overtime is needed, there will only be time to play one overtime period. Should the game still be tied after the first overtime period, a shoot-out (as per WHL regular season rules) will be held to determine the winning Club.
I know a work around is probably going to be pretty difficult to achieve, but does this not seem kind of bush league? I guess finding another day to start the series would have been tough.

Old
03-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
http://whl.ca/article/overtime-forma...ge-in-edmonton

I know a work around is probably going to be pretty difficult to achieve, but does this not seem kind of bush league? I guess finding another day to start the series would have been tough.
If the OKs show up in full force, this game shouldn't get near overtime.

Old
03-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
If the OKs show up in full force, this game shouldn't get near overtime.
Meh, we will win in regulation anyways

Old
03-22-2014, 02:20 PM
40oz

Besides, it's the Oilers and Flames after. No one's really going to miss a period or two.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Brewster

Oil Kings take it 5-3, it was a bit of a sleepy game at times by the Kings. Solid two goal performance by Brett Pollock in this one. Mayo had a nice game as well.

Anyone know when Petryk is expected back? His return would really help out the depth @ centre.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
stoff

Anyone know where you can watch the game?? Was expecting it on tv but can't find it on my guide.

Old
03-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

I'm honestly not super impressed with Draisaitl. His skating seems subpar

Old
03-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Big 3-1 today. First and first half of the second were sleepy, but it all opened up in the third. Kinda hoping for a split in PA so I can go on Saturday.

Old
03-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Mods, how about a new double poll question for the playoffs?

"How far will the Oil Kings go in the playoffs this year?"

-Upset in First Round
-Eastern Conference Semi-final
-Eastern Conference Championship
-WHL Championship
-Memorial Cup

"Who will play in the WHL Championship?"

-Edmonton vs. Kelowna
-Edmonton vs. Portland
-Edmonton vs. Victoria
-Edmonton vs. Other
-Calgary vs. Kelowna