HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap Home Ice Advantage?

Old
02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
PanniniClaus

vCash: 500
Cap Home Ice Advantage?

http://www.covers.com/articles/artic...?theArt=130911

Doctoring their boards?

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Jasper17

Its bad, it needs to be corrected, but it wasn't intentional.

And since that was the only game I can remember it happening, I don't think people should make that big of a deal out of it.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
The Viking Fury

wasn;t that board a condition of having to have the rink built on the same day as a hoyas game? ridiculous notion that the caps used it to their advantage, there are horrible bounces countless times per year. How many times has a puck bounded off the glass and into the net when a goaltender was behind the net anticipating the play?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Foy

So did we also doctor the glass to give up 3 goals in that game against the Maple Leafs at home back towards the beginning of the season?

When it happens for you, it's always a lucky bounce, and when it happens against you, it's always cheating. Get over it New York.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
ALEX THE 8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
So did we also doctor the glass to give up 3 goals in that game against the Maple Leafs at home back towards the beginning of the season?

When it happens for you, it's always a lucky bounce, and when it happens against you, it's always cheating. Get over it New York.
Sounds like sour grapes to me, who won that game & why are they complaining.

ALEX THE 8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

So I guess Tampa was doctoring their boards too last week. But luckily no goals came off those two bounces.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Yeah, and Han Solo fired first...

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
So I guess Tampa was doctoring their boards too last week. But luckily no goals came off those two bounces.

I was thinking the same damn thing. Two bounces....same exact spot that shot the puck into the crease in front of the goalie.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Oh good lord.

And this coming from a team that plays in the worst rink in North America barr none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post

Except for the fact that the Rangers won that game .... never trailed if I remember correctly. What a bunch of sore winners.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:34 AM
BTCG

Quote:

Intentional, or no?

I've heard Mickey Redmond talk about the subject, and he said that in the old days, tweaking the boards was quite common....and was considered to be acceptable. According to the Mick...everyone did it....and in particular...the Habs.

Now...let's take this to the next level: is this any different than what we've seen in other sports?

I recall the Orioles whining about the length of the grass in the infield of Tiger Stadium in the early 1980's....which they said was done to help slow down the ball so the Tiger's slow infielders could get to more ground balls.

The Tigers were said to have taken out a few seats in right field in the 1950's to create what was called "Kaline's Corner"...an extra bit of field added to the foul area... done because Hall of Famer Al Kaline was so good that taking these seats out enabled him to catch an extra 15-20 foul balls a year. That's an extra 15-20 outs a year...sometimes in critical situations.

Whatsmore...teams in MLB have always been allowed to customize the size of their fields...no 2 are the same.

Is this unfair?

Yes...and no.

One thing in defence of the Rangers: with the boards tweaked, the Caps, by virtue of getting to shoot in the tweaked end twice (1st & 3rd period), have a decided advantage.

Punish the Caps for doing this?

Nah!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote