HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs @ Leafs - HNIC!

Old
03-22-2014, 08:28 AM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
Eller is the odd man out, can't you see it guys? Rumors of him being shopped at the deadline were true.
Absolutely untrue.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Tyson

All I know is that beyond Subban, Emelin (lately) and Markov our Defense is not playoff quality. Toronto has some serious speed....Beaulieu looked good in the Toronto game he played because his speed helped. Don't have that tonight.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Absolutely untrue.
After 4 seasons of watching Eller getting no better, it may be time this summer to move him.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

We will be sorry if we move Eller. He is perfect on the third line or somewhere in the lineup. The return we will get for him will have us shaking our heads wishing we kept him.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I am pumped for this game. Very important for the standings and against the Leafs! Can't wait, I hope Bernier won't play.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Weaver... Bouillon... Murray...

If I ever hear people complaining about our forwards, I'm going too laugh.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:30 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
The infamous, "Fine! We'll put you back to center, your natural position... but here's Bourque as your winger, GOOD LUCK!" move.

Classic Therrien.
Has Eller honestly been any better? I expect Bourque play good tonight. Maybe the next game. Then disappear again.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Has Eller honestly been any better? I expect Bourque play good tonight. Maybe the next game. Then disappear again.
All 118 games with Habs:
33 points
1:50 PP/game

Last 111 games
29 points

How can one disappear without ever really being there.

This is why IMO all rumours about people interest in Bourque hard to believe...much better players have gone without being able to get a return.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
After 4 seasons of watching Eller getting no better, it may be time this summer to move him.
I'm not commenting on that.

I'm saying him claiming Eller was being shopped at the deadline is absolutely untrue.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
2010/2011:
77 games - 0.22 points/game

2011/2012:
79 games - 0.35 points/game

2012/2013:
46 games - 0.65 points/game

2013/2014:
first 29 games - 0.59 points/game
last 41 games - 0.15 points/game

Let's hope when we move him for something valueless this summer that the 47 points in 71 game run he had from February 2013 to December 2013 was a fluke. At least we'll know for sure what kind of management this team is being run by either way...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
I understand that there is a logjam down the middle and that Galchenyuk needs to play center next season. But if we move Eller, who is our 3rd line center?

A team's top 2 lines should be able to play in any situation and be a threat offensively. A 3rd line should be a checking line with size and speed.

With Desharnais, Plek, Galchenyuk down the middle, only our 2nd line would be able to play in any situation. Neither Desharnais or Galchenyuk are 3rd line center material, as both are offence-first centers that need offensive zone starts and PP minutes. Keeping both would be counter productive.

Smoky Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I understand that there is a logjam down the middle and that Galchenyuk needs to play center next season. But if we move Eller, who is our 3rd line center?

A team's top 2 lines should be able to play in any situation and be a threat offensively. A 3rd line should be a checking line with size and speed.

With Desharnais, Plek, Galchenyuk down the middle, only our 2nd line would be able to play in any situation. Neither Desharnais or Galchenyuk are 3rd line center material, as both are offence-first centers that need offensive zone starts and PP minutes. Keeping both would be counter productive.
I think there is an overemphasis on each line being designated as number one, number two or three. Most successful teams have three top lines that are interchangeable...you don't see huge discrepancies in minutes between the second and third lines especially. When a team is behind..the best scoring line is the "number one line". When the team is ahead..the best checking line is usually the "number one line."

Regardless...is the "checking" center not usually considered the third center? Chuck and DD on the scoring lines..Pleks on the "checking line"..not sure I understand your train of thought.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I think there is an overemphasis on each line being designated as number one, number two or three. Most successful teams have three top lines that are interchangeable...you don't see huge discrepancies in minutes between the second and third lines especially. When a team is behind..the best scoring line is the "number one line". When the team is ahead..the best checking line is usually the "number one line."

Regardless...is the "checking" center not usually considered the third center? Chuck and DD on the scoring lines..Pleks on the "checking line"..not sure I understand your train of thought.
The most successful teams have a top line that can be relied on for offense as well as defense. I'm talking LA, Chicago, Boston, STL, SJ. Obviously, the Habs don't have that luxury as we don't have a Kopitar, Berg, Backes, Toews, Couture.

So the Habs would be best suited with 1 offensive line (line 1), a two-way line (line 2), and a checking line (line 3). Line 1 would get the majority if the O Zone starts and start every PP. The 3rd line would be the opposite and 2nd line somewhere in between.

In this scenario, one of Desharnais and Galchenyuk needs to center that top line. Plek is obviously the 2nd center. So who's the 3rd center? As I stated, DD and Galchenyuk are not checking centers, both need offensive minutes. Therefore, Eller would be the better option for 3rd checking line center.

Rolling DD and Galchenyuk would not work. At this point, both need to be sheltered and given offensive roles. You cannot roll two exploitation lines. Which is why it is one or the other for me.

Eventually, Galchenyuk will develop a strong defensive game. But until then he needs an offensive role if he is to play center.

Old
03-22-2014, 10:58 AM
compile

vCash: 611
4-2 Leafs.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
The most successful teams have a top line that can be relied on for offense as well as defense. I'm talking LA, Chicago, Boston, STL, SJ. Obviously, the Habs don't have that luxury as we don't have a Kopitar, Berg, Backes, Toews, Couture.

So the Habs would be best suited with 1 offensive line (line 1), a two-way line (line 2), and a checking line (line 3). Line 1 would get the majority if the O Zone starts and start every PP. The 3rd line would be the opposite and 2nd line somewhere in between.

In this scenario, one of Desharnais and Galchenyuk needs to center that top line. Plek is obviously the 2nd center. So who's the 3rd center? As I stated, DD and Galchenyuk are not checking centers, both need offensive minutes. Therefore, Eller would be the better option for 3rd checking line center.

Rolling DD and Galchenyuk would not work. At this point, both need to be sheltered and given offensive roles. You cannot roll two exploitation lines. Which is why it is one or the other for me.

Eventually, Galchenyuk will develop a strong defensive game. But until then he needs an offensive role if he is to play center.

Isn't the definition of a two-way line a line that can relied on offense as well as defense ??

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 11:58 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Would you say the same about Price, Subban, Markov, Plekanec, Pacio, DD...

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Noob616

Quote:
30 points in 46 games last season wasn't an improvement?

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Eller needs better wingers even then im not sure anymore really he makes a lot of bad decisions

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:26 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I have to wonder if you ever even watched one game of his last 4 seasons. Eller has had by far the most constant progression out of any player on our roster. This year is really the only hiccup since we've acquired him. People remember what they want to remember, I guess.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:56 PM
SB164

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Isn't the definition of a two-way line a line that can relied on offense as well as defense ??
Well yes, Plek can center a two-way line and put up 40-50 points while being reliable defensively. But if you can't understand the difference between a line centered by Toews, Couture, Kopitar, Bergeron, Backes and a line centered by Plek than I don't know what to tell you.

Old
03-22-2014, 01:48 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
a picture really is worth a thousand words

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:49 PM
HABS win CUPS*