HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
SillyMe

vCash: 500
Just got an INT DT1LT/Henrique(W03)
Can't wait to try it out!

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Werewolf1479

I've been using Sherwood two pieces for a while, I have a 115 flex standard, and a 105 tapered. I loved the 105 tapered as an all around good stick until the new replacement blades (which all have the shorter hosel) are the only blades I can find. Now the thing feels like it is made of jelly on anything more than quick wristers close to the net and receiving any kind of hard break-out pass requires extra-super soft hands or the puck just overpowers the blade. My slapper booms with the 115 standard, but isn't great for puck feel or quick wristers. So I think I need something in between. (I'm 6'3" 235 and usually play wing btw)

Curve wise I've been using the Coffey curve for like 20 years, but I've been using a P88 the last 3 weeks and love the ability to actually lift backhands at the goal line now. So curve isn't a big consideration, I can adapt.

Any suggestions? I was thinking a mid-flex stick with around 105 flex. I'd like to keep the price under $150 unless the extra cost is really buying me some nice features.

Werewolf1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
I'm 5'8" (I typically cut sticks down by about 2") and my weight fluctuates between 180 and 195. I'm looking for something that's going to perform similarly to the X:60. My two favorite sticks that I've ever used are the X:60 and the One95.

I've had 85/87 flex sticks forever, though I feel like my wrist/snap shots are pretty weak. My slapper is good, but I've been wondering if I should try a 75 flex stick this time around to help with my wrister/snapper.
Can't comment on the specific sticks, but I think you would find your wrist/snap shots improve with the 75 flex. Your slappers might drop a bit (sounds like you're pretty strong), but think about which shot is more important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Being 6' 4'' I'm noticing a dearth of suitably long sticks to choose from in store.
Seems like Warriors are pretty long. That said, nothing wrong with a wood plug, might even help the balance/feel a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I've had the chance to use my base nasty twice now and absolutely love it. It may be the slight decrease in flex (normally 85-this stick 80) but it feels way more responsive than anything else I've used.
Sounds good! Mine should be here on Wednesday. Can't wait! Of course winter league ends this weekend, but spring league starts up in a few weeks I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf1479 View Post
Any suggestions? I was thinking a mid-flex stick with around 105 flex. I'd like to keep the price under $150 unless the extra cost is really buying me some nice features.
There's a lot of clearance sticks in that $130-180 range from last year. There's not a ton of sticks that are between 100 and 115 flex, but BASE offers a couple in that range. Maybe a Natural in 105?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

APX1 or V9E for a little bit more?

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
MattGTI

I have been using a Sherwood Nexon N12(Stastny Curve/105 flex) for about a month now, and love it.

The thing I really like about it(besides the price point, balance and weight) is that it seems to be a thinner shaft in general than a lot of other sticks out there. It feels weird playing with anything else(I have a few Easton Mako M5's, and a Reebok Pro Stock I rotate with).

The Sherwood has held up well. However, I have been looking for another one. I really like the thinner feel of the stick overall.

Its impossible to find a righty, 105 flex, Stastny, no grip, N12(or N10) anywhere.(no LHS have any, and those specs are not in stock anywhere online).

Can anyone recommend a stick line that would somewhat fit the bill? The big factor being the thinner overall profile of the shaft? Thanks!

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I have been using a Sherwood Nexon N12(Stastny Curve/105 flex) for about a month now, and love it.

The thing I really like about it(besides the price point, balance and weight) is that it seems to be a thinner shaft in general than a lot of other sticks out there. It feels weird playing with anything else(I have a few Easton Mako M5's, and a Reebok Pro Stock I rotate with).

The Sherwood has held up well. However, I have been looking for another one. I really like the thinner feel of the stick overall.

Its impossible to find a righty, 105 flex, Stastny, no grip, N12(or N10) anywhere.(no LHS have any, and those specs are not in stock anywhere online).

Can anyone recommend a stick line that would somewhat fit the bill? The big factor being the thinner overall profile of the shaft? Thanks!
I think that a 102 flex P92 matte APX would be good for you. The rounded shaft makes it feel thinner than most sticks.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Werewolf1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
APX1 or V9E for a little bit more?
I found an APX1 in 112 flex P88 curve online at a price I can handle. How are these things for harder shots? All the sites list them as LKP but in my limited experience LKP is weak for the occasional slap shot or one timer. Also, what is the grip like on these? I've never used grip, thinking about trying it out and baby powdering it if it is too strong. Sorry for so many questions, I live in BFE Alabama now and there aren't any pro shops around that carry them.

Old
03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
I found an APX1 in 112 flex P88 curve online at a price I can handle. How are these things for harder shots? All the sites list them as LKP but in my limited experience LKP is weak for the occasional slap shot or one timer. Also, what is the grip like on these? I've never used grip, thinking about trying it out and baby powdering it if it is too strong. Sorry for so many questions, I live in BFE Alabama now and there aren't any pro shops around that carry them.
If you can use a 112 flex, you'll have a beastly shot. It has a dual kick point, which allows you to fire slapshots as a mid kick would. The grip isn't too tacky on the APX, it won't bother you.

Old
03-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Werewolf1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
If you can use a 112 flex, you'll have a beastly shot. It has a dual kick point, which allows you to fire slapshots as a mid kick would. The grip isn't too tacky on the APX, it won't bother you.
Shouldn't have a problem, I've snapped anything I've tried below 105 after only a few games. Thanks for the help, just pulled the trigger on it, looking forward to using it when summer session picks up.

Old
03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Shouldn't have a problem, I've snapped anything I've tried below 105 after only a few games. Thanks for the help, just pulled the trigger on it, looking forward to using it when summer session picks up.
You can't use anything under 105 flex ?? Just how strong are you ??

Old
03-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Werewolf1479

Quote:
You can't use anything under 105 flex ?? Just how strong are you ??
Lol, pretty strong. Spent the decade between freshman year of college and a couple years a go (hiatus from ice) as a competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:59 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
This isn't exactly true. My Warrior covert DT4LT 85 flex is 60".
Ah, my bad. Seems like I'm just talking about high end Warriors...didn't realize they did it differently for price point sticks.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 01:39 PM
OpenIceHit42

Has anyone used the "All Black" stick?

A couple of guys on my team bought them from a local reps and I've seen a handful of guys using them and they rave about the stick. I've been thinking about giving one a shot but just looking for some opinions on it.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Werewolf1479

Quote:
Finally got the APX 112/P88 in on Friday. This is my new favorite stick, accuracy has suffered a bit (prob just while I get used to it) but I don't think my shot has been any harder ever. I'm ripping loaded wristers as fast as most of the guys I skate with's slappers. And I swear my stick handling is a ton better. After my first skate with it Saturday I almost came home and ordered another. Thanks all for the help!

Old
04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Hey I have been lurking on this thread for a while and I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out --Jarick I'm pointing my finger at you. I've been playing since I was 12 and I'm 29 now.

I'm right around 5'5 1/2 - 5'6 and about 145 lbs, right handed. Yeah, I'm a short guy. My game relies mostly on speed, agility, evasiveness and a quick wrist shot or snap shot. After a lot of research I've decided I'm really interested in the Vapor APX2 stick and that's the pretty much what I'm settled on unless I find something else that really blows me away.

I'm still undecided on curve... I played with a Modano/Heatley blade most style most of my life but I've had trouble elevating the puck which is why I was thinking about going with the Backstrom (although I am not sure I can control my shot with the open toe, maybe I just need to practice with it? I always used to miss the net when I tried a Sakic in the past but I also know I used way too strong a flex).

My real question is, will a 60 flex APX2 be too whippy for me when I get on the ice and start shooting and stickhandling? I can't get any flex at all out of my 75 S19 Heatley (not cut down at all because of that reason) and the 60 flex APX2 felt better than the 67 in the store. Any advice on blade and technique would also be helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Veritas0Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Jmp123

Slight noob question here.

Just picked up a Warrior Covert DT3 and it makes a strange hollow noise when tapped on the ice, very different to any other stick I have had. This led to a few people questioning if it was broken, it feels absolutely fine and shoots just like a new stick would.

I understand it has a hollow hosel and this is one of the features that Warrior highlights and tapping with my knuckle around the hosel area it makes a different noise to other sticks. Anyone have any experience with these and this is normal or should I be worried that it is broken? I would rather not ship back to Sweden from the UK.

Jmp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
Hey I have been lurking on this thread for a while and I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out --Jarick I'm pointing my finger at you. I've been playing since I was 12 and I'm 29 now.

I'm right around 5'5 1/2 - 5'6 and about 145 lbs, right handed. Yeah, I'm a short guy. My game relies mostly on speed, agility, evasiveness and a quick wrist shot or snap shot. After a lot of research I've decided I'm really interested in the Vapor APX2 stick and that's the pretty much what I'm settled on unless I find something else that really blows me away.

I'm still undecided on curve... I played with a Modano/Heatley blade most style most of my life but I've had trouble elevating the puck which is why I was thinking about going with the Backstrom (although I am not sure I can control my shot with the open toe, maybe I just need to practice with it? I always used to miss the net when I tried a Sakic in the past but I also know I used way too strong a flex).

My real question is, will a 60 flex APX2 be too whippy for me when I get on the ice and start shooting and stickhandling? I can't get any flex at all out of my 75 S19 Heatley (not cut down at all because of that reason) and the 60 flex APX2 felt better than the 67 in the store. Any advice on blade and technique would also be helpful. Thanks a bunch!
You will be a bit taller on skates which I think gives you a bit more leverage. Obviously what feels "too whippy" depends on you. What I will strongly recommend is that you take into account how much stick you need to cut because you raise your flex as you do that.

For example, I am a (intermediate?)beginner 5'10" and 190 and I'm not that fat anymore. I prefer a stick that after being cut is 85 flex, so I have to buy something around 75 and cut it down to match my length requirement.

If you buy a 58" intermediate stick at flex 60 and cut say 5-6 inches off, then you've raised the flex over 70. If you get the same stick in 67 flex then you are near (or over) 80!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post

Shot you a PM, but a 60 flex APX2 with a P14 curve would be my first choice in your situation. Great stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmp123 View Post
Slight noob question here.

Just picked up a Warrior Covert DT3 and it makes a strange hollow noise when tapped on the ice, very different to any other stick I have had. This led to a few people questioning if it was broken, it feels absolutely fine and shoots just like a new stick would.

I understand it has a hollow hosel and this is one of the features that Warrior highlights and tapping with my knuckle around the hosel area it makes a different noise to other sticks. Anyone have any experience with these and this is normal or should I be worried that it is broken? I would rather not ship back to Sweden from the UK.
I haven't noticed this with my Warrior. Did you just get it? If it's defective, it should break pretty quick and they will replace it. I had a Warrior that broke on the second use and they gave me a new one which I am still using 18 months later.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Greasy Sliders

Highly recommend the ribcor to anyone looking for a top end stick.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:38 PM
ORLY

vCash: 1014
I have long legs but I'm 6'0. I put an extension in my stick this winter (took half an inch off of it eventually) and my slap shots are better than ever. Don't ask me how it works, maybe the slight flex reduction helped me find a sweet spot? I have way better reach and haven't noticed any stick handling problems. Try and extension if you have longer legs is my advice!

ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 05:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Just bought my first two composite sticks ever. I'll be using them just for taking shots on a shooting pad.

Went with a Reebok Sidekick 14K and a Reebok Sidekick 16K. Both have 85 flex and a Datsyuk curve.

Yay or nay???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 05:46 PM
AIREAYE

Good value, especially since I'm assuming you got them on sale.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good value, especially since I'm assuming you got them on sale.
Yup.

Haven't tried them yet but I assume they are good sticks yes???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:17 PM
AIREAYE

If they're your first ones, then yeah.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:27 PM
ORLY

vCash: 1014
Haven't seen this mentioned. What are your opinions on composite end plugs? I use one and I really like it, but have never used a wooden plug.

Also...Can't wait for the RBZ Superfast to come out, so I can get a Stage 2 with a nice discount!

ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote