HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

How does it make sense to sign 30 year old to 8 year contracts?

Old
03-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
There's extra years to bring the salary cap down.

Plus in this day and age, it's not unheard of that players are still effective at 38 years old.
not really.....under the old rules they did when you could throw in $1M seasons at the end it would lower the cap hit.

Now with max/min <=2 you cant save much on the cap hit.

Actually I think it will be rare to see a player get a 7+ yr contract because of recapture rules if they retire or are bought out.

This off season with Vanek and with Callahan I see each getting a max of 6 years.

The ones that get 7-8 yr contracts with be the UFAs who are 25-27 or the young RFAs who are in their early 20s.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
not really.....under the old rules they did when you could throw in $1M seasons at the end it would lower the cap hit.

Actually I think it will be rare to see a player get a 7+ yr contract because of recapture rules if they retire or are bought out.

This off season with Vanek and with Callahan I see each getting a max of 6 years.

The ones that get 7-8 yr contracts with be the UFAs who are 25-27 or the young RFAs who are in their early 20s.
You can still save a lot on the cap hit. Even 1 million of savings can be a big deal, especially if Vanek were going to a cap team that wants to win now (likely I would think). There are always options for bad contracts too. Ship them out to another team and give them a little extra to make it work.

GMs are usually focused on the present anyway. That's why I laugh when I see people suggest that the Hawks would buy out Hossa to avoid cap recapture. That's the next GM's problem. Besides, by then maybe they can plan for that penalty or even weasel out of it like how Lou got out of his draft pick surrender.

There are always GMs who want to make their team better NEXT season. They will outbid each other and Vanek will get what he wants.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:46 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsie19 View Post
It makes no sense really. NHL contract structures are so bad. Just look to the nfl if your interested in a solid model. Every team has a bad contract in the NHL some of them are gonna last years. Perfectly good players careers are ruined because they make too much money when all they need is lower guarantees and performance based contract.
And that model is "solid" for whom?

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:48 PM
HabsAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

I would do 6 years at 7.5 million for the Habs...but given the Quebec taxation, it would have to be more like 8 plus.

Subban is worth 8x8 at his age.

HabsAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
You're getting an elite player for zero assets. Other teams are also available to do that. As other posters have said, that drives up the price and/or term for older players.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Brainiac

To be fair to the GMs, it's also a gamble that can pay off. Some players age very well. Many of them don't of course, but it's not like it NEVER happens.

And it's hard to make a call. Who would have guessed that a guy like St-Louis (small, speed, skill) would win the Art Ross at 38?

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
The league really wanted five or six years as the max but the players wouldn't budge.

Eight years is not that bad compared to the crazy 14 year deals guys like Parise got.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 04:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The league really wanted five or six years as the max but the players wouldn't budge.

Eight years is not that bad compared to the crazy 14 year deals guys like Parise got.
Actually only 7 years, only the team that owns the players right can sign them to a 8 year deal. This actually drives up the value to do sign and trades

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote