HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pride should be the determinating factor

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 01:05 AM
coyote

vCash: 500
Pride should be the determinating factor

of knowing when to hang them up. Oates who is going to be a hall of famer should do the honourable thing and hang them up. He is only tarnishing his image right now and if he doesn't he will be remembered as an old, slow and weak player. This is not the way a hockey player of his caliber should be remembered. So Adam hang them up and you will be remembered as a great hockey player who gave it one more shot but realized it was time. The great ones know when it is time.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
of knowing when to hang them up. Oates who is going to be a hall of famer should do the honourable thing and hang them up. He is only tarnishing his image right now and if he doesn't he will be remembered as an old, slow and weak player. This is not the way a hockey player of his caliber should be remembered. So Adam hang them up and you will be remembered as a great hockey player who gave it one more shot but realized it was time. The great ones know when it is time.
Earn some respect, this is a disgraceful post... If Oates wants to play, let him. This is so disrespectful I don't know where to begin...

Old
02-04-2004, 06:44 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Earn some respect, this is a disgraceful post... If Oates wants to play, let him. This is so disrespectful I don't know where to begin...
What's so disrespectful about it? He's just saying that Oates is burning his rep by prolonguing his retirement, and he is.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
What's so disrespectful about it? He's just saying that Oates is burning his rep by prolonguing his retirement, and he is.
He's saying Oates has no pride by continuing playing. I think it's quite the opposite, if he quit now, would he be any more than a quitter? He's saying he has no reason to continue playing. This is not any fans job to decide. The Coach can bench him, the GM can buy him out. Oates is not burning his rep one bit. Sure, he's not the player he once was, but if you are going to only remember him for his last season, you have an extremely misguided view point. Should 99 have retired after his 215 point season? That's when he was at his prime. When he retired, he was no where near that level, does that ruin his rep at all? I certainly hope not. I remember people saying he should've retired way back as well which IMO, would have been extremely dissapointing from a hockey fan standpoint.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:04 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
He's saying Oates has no pride by continuing playing. I think it's quite the opposite, if he quit now, would he be any more than a quitter? He's saying he has no reason to continue playing. This is not any fans job to decide. The Coach can bench him, the GM can buy him out. Oates is not burning his rep one bit. Sure, he's not the player he once was, but if you are going to only remember him for his last season, you have an extremely misguided view point. Should 99 have retired after his 215 point season? That's when he was at his prime. When he retired, he was no where near that level, does that ruin his rep at all? I certainly hope not. I remember people saying he should've retired way back as well which IMO, would have been extremely dissapointing from a hockey fan standpoint.
Its not that I agree with the fact that people are most remembered for what they do most recently, its just that it is a fact of life that people remember best what they see last of a person/thing/whatever. It just is. To become a permanent memory that person/thing/whatever had to have a great impact on you personally, enough for you to store it in your long term memory. The common hockey fan stores most memories of players short-term, and as such, will recall most easily what they heard of or saw last of adam, when he played for the oilers and stunk it up. Washington or Oates fans may see him differently, but the everyday 9-5 Joe will reduce their mental ranking of him subconsciously based on this years performance.

It is inevitable. It did happen to Gretzky. I hear people who say, "i don't know why everyone thinks gretzky is so great, when he went to the rangers he sucked"

Old
02-04-2004, 07:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

My take on Oates

No he hasn't had the success that we all expected and I am sure he expected BUT the fact that Stoll and Horcoff have mentioned how much he has helped them in a very underrated part of the game (faceoffs) makes me feel it is not the same league as the Dopita experiment.

The help he gave both Stoll and Horcoff will stick with them for the rest of their career.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:39 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

he has been a disappointment but i have to agree with spaz he has helped our other centres in terms of their faceoff prowess. i was very happy when the oilers signed without really giving enough thought because the oilers dont really have anybody who can complement him, in other words a true sniper. plus he looks really slow out there, maybe a style better suited to the eastern conference.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:45 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
plus he looks really slow out there, maybe a style better suited to the eastern conference.
I've found that he doesn't look as slow now as he did at first (but I've missed several games the last week and a half or so, so maybe he's slowed down again).

But yeah, he's definitely not challenging Chimera for the speed title.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I'd like to think the thousands of years Oates was an awesome player would be remembered before a subpar one at the end of his career. I don't see how this will affect his repuatation or how he'll be remembered.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'd like to think the thousands of years Oates was an awesome player would be remembered before a subpar one at the end of his career. I don't see how this will affect his repuatation or how he'll be remembered.
People will still remember Coffey as the amazing player he was despite his last few subpar seasons. Likewise, everyone remembers the Moose for who he was as well as Gilmour.. Oates was too great a passer/player to have his image tarnished by one poor season. I personally think it says a lot about his character that he was willing to sign with a young team like Edmonton in the first place..

Closed Thread