HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs @ Leafs - HNIC!

Old
03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplestory View Post
Phaneuf will beat him Yemaline badly.
Phaneuf? Maybe he should be worried about playing D first.

Old
03-22-2014, 03:02 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
We will be sorry if we move Eller. He is perfect on the third line or somewhere in the lineup. The return we will get for him will have us shaking our heads wishing we kept him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I have to wonder if you ever even watched one game of his last 4 seasons. Eller has had by far the most constant progression out of any player on our roster. This year is really the only hiccup since we've acquired him. People remember what they want to remember, I guess.

I guess lump me in with the Eller fanboys. (We do have to have one fanboy club annually, I guess...ftr I was in the Carey Price one, several times.)

Agree with the above. He is so much of what we've needed and a lot of the criticism is overblown. He's not played his best hockey overall this season, but at the same time, he has at times played his best hockey. I noticed in the last two games that every time someone tried to steamroll him, they'd either get the worst of it or Eller would stay on his feet. This was during plays when he had a suicide-like pass (not the first time ), or a joined clearing attempt where he was the last guy, but had the puck in his skates, subsequently getting it out.

He's great along the boards, protects the puck (agreed, he used to be a little better at it) and takes shots. I would much rather see him (and Chucky ftm) take shots from the dots than Gionta. They (Chuckey, Eller) have killer wristers that often would make for good rebounds if wingers were around. Eller got blasted by trying to take the puck up ice and given the lack of good support, wasn't able to beat 4-5 guys. The result was the puck being sent back to out D -- Tinordi, and we all know what happens there. What about the countless times Subban takes it up ice? He's literally cost us goals and games on botched attempts + he's not a center. Point here being that I wouldn't for a second tell him to stop. Pleks occasionally tries to enter the zone off the rush with the puck, DD does it very often. I'm talking about deking, not just a Pacioretty straight up power rush. Eller gets hate for circling the net with the puck. Well, guess what, we have some pretty poor options most of the time. I concede that his passing could be a bit more crisp (that's the only drop off this season I see from him). Under Therrien, I argue that he's still developing since it's pretty much been stilted. Give him more opportunities to play the role that he can, and he'll find the groove. It's been said a ton of times, but playing with the guys he has, has really impacted what he choses to do with the puck. Skilled guys need certain linemates and I think Eller's developed checking line habits with a skilled forward trying to break out, which may sometimes create the less than desired result. Up until he (GASP) lost the puck in a very safe area of the ice, he was having an awesome game, particularly with Pleky in the box. Not sure what he did apart from not deking the last guy to nullify that.

I just think Eller is an important player for our team. Some say overrated, some say underrated. Usually that means it's a good player that will break out soon enough and if we keep him, we'll be glad we didn't screw that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Just when you think there are no more reasons to want to beat the leafs.

I have a feeling either Reimer or Bernier are going to have a very solid game. Will need all 4 lines pressing to get those goals. Not really sure what to expect out of Chucky at C given the already cited unfavourable winger situation. Maybe he can just...shoot the puck himself?

Huge mistake to bench Tinordi. Also, I am terrified of having Murray out there. Either he'll be great (small % chance) or he'll get burned by Kessel, Kadri et al. several times. I like him, but I prefer Tinordi. Despite the turnover, he has been getting better each game. Physical and with good speed. Rookie benched after huge mistake. Signed Michel Therrien, professional talent developer.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I guess lump me in with the Eller fanboys. (We do have to have one fanboy club annually, I guess...ftr I was in the Carey Price one, several times.)
Don't these "clubs" overlap, like, a lot? Eller was the hottest thing ever to those who thought the least of Halak, etc.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
Quick poll question: What is higher, Dion Phaneuf's hockey IQ or Rene Bourque's compete level?

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUGH question

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
CH25
Fire JJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
This happened on April 7th 2007 :

Knocked out from the playoffs by the Maple Leafs.

Let's get a win saturday and reduce their chances of getting in the playoffs.
I remember this like it was yesterday.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH25 View Post
I remember this like it was yesterday.
I was at that game, 3rd row centre ice behind the benches. Was DEV-A-STATING

If you go to 1:02 you can see right at center ice 2 red Montreal sweaters and empty seats all around, ya that was the wife and I. Much better right after the intermission when no one is around!

ps. I still can't believe they played Huet over Halak after Jaro had played so unreal down the stretch putting them in the position to make the playoffs. Horrible decision.

Last edited by Habsawce: 03-22-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:41 PM
c3z4r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplestory View Post
Phaneuf will beat him Yemaline badly.
What does that even mean?

c3z4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:44 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I was at that game, 3rd row centre ice behind the benches. Was DEV-A-STATING

If you go to 1:02 you can see right at center ice 2 red Montreal sweaters and empty seats all around, ya that was the wife and I. Much better right after the intermission when no one is around!

ps. I still can't believe they played Huet over Halak after Jaro had played so unreal down the stretch putting them in the position to make the playoffs. Horrible decision.
Still one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote