HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
The good news is that he scores goals in bunches and since he scored today I'll bet he scores a few over the next couple of games before going on a short cold streak again.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
The good news is that he scores goals in bunches and since he scored today I'll bet he scores a few over the next couple of games before going on a short cold streak again.
And then a hot streak again for the playoffs.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
And then a hot streak again for the playoffs.
Exactly, it's all part of his plan. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Winston Wolf

Holmgren should try to get him locked up to a similar deal as Matt Read. Use that contract as a benchmark for both Schenn and Couturier (in one more year, obviously).

Old
03-22-2014, 06:39 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Holmgren should try to get him locked up to a similar deal as Matt Read. Use that contract as a benchmark for both Schenn and Couturier (in one more year, obviously).
I think we'll see more of a "pay for potential" second contract a la JVR.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:17 PM
WelcomeToGirouxSalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
I think we'll see more of a "pay for potential" second contract a la JVR.
Hopefully we have a bit of leeway with Brayden considering his brothers here.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flyers sign free agents in July then sign BSchenn after that with whatever room is left. The team gain nothing by signing him early.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flyers sign free agents in July then sign BSchenn after that with whatever room is left. The team gain nothing by signing him early.
I think the only reasons Couturier & Raffl got signed because their deals were so cheap. Schenn's likely going to be coming off a 20 goal season in his first full year while getting basically third line minutes. He's likely going to command more money than both of those guys likely a $1.5/2M difference.

With the uncertainty of the exact cap number right now & other holes on the roster be filled there's no incentive for the Flyers signing him now unless it's a below market type of deal like Couturier's or Raffl's.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Insulin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think the only reasons Couturier & Raffl got signed because their deals were so cheap. Schenn's likely going to be coming off a 20 goal season in his first full year while getting basically third line minutes. He's likely going to command more money than both of those guys likely a $1.5/2M difference.

With the uncertainty of the exact cap number right now & other holes on the roster be filled there's no incentive for the Flyers signing him now unless it's a below market type of deal like Couturier's or Raffl's.
You guys are forgetting all about those revenge offersheets we're gonna get from Nashville and Vancouver.

Old
03-22-2014, 09:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
You guys are forgetting all about those revenge offersheets we're gonna get from Nashville and Vancouver.
True, but on a serious note a deal could happen right before the RFA period begins.

Carter made it unsigned before the free agency period early in his career. His agent claimed he was approached by another team with a deal but didn't sign because he wanted to be here.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-22-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old
03-24-2014, 03:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
What is Schenn's RFA status looking like? Is he going to get one of these 1-2 year deals that takes him to his final year of restricted status, or is he going to get a longer deal? Obviously none of us know the actual answer to this, but what would be preferable. Both have their upsides and downsides.

I would like to see a shorter term, lower cap hit that brings him to the end of RFA status. Not because I think he isn't worth the money, but because I think he is going to get dealt. A lower cap-hit would make him easier to move. I am not necessarily in favor or against trading Schenn, I just see him as the odd-man out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-24-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Enough
Old
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Giroux only got 3.75m/y on his bridge contract after displaying much more. Kadri, by better comparison, only got 2.90m/y.

I throw the 3.25m/y number around in pessimism, but the cautious optimist in me says he could be anywhere in the 2.50m/year to 3.10m/y range.

Anything under 3.00m/y would be solid, but I'm hoping for the 2.50m/y victory kind of contract that Holmgren likes to sneak on us from time to time.

Either way, it's going to be a 2-3 year bridge contract. There's no way either party wants to cement a deal beyond RFA. Schenn wants to get paid when he hits UFA, and Holmgren won't want to give him money and term on a deal he has yet to earn. It benefits both parties to tackle a bridge deal. After the bridge deal, if Schenn continues to progress steadily into that physical 50-60 point 2nd line center, 4.50m/y to 5.00m/y seems likely for his UFA contract in a few years time.

Basically, I doubt that we see a JVR deal.

Old
03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Giroux only got 3.75m/y on his bridge contract after displaying much more. Kadri, by better comparison, only got 2.90m/y.

I throw the 3.25m/y number around in pessimism, but the cautious optimist in me says he could be anywhere in the 2.50m/year to 3.10m/y range.

Anything under 3.00m/y would be solid, but I'm hoping for the 2.50m/y victory kind of contract that Holmgren likes to sneak on us from time to time.

Either way, it's going to be a 2-3 year bridge contract. There's no way either party wants to cement a deal beyond RFA. Schenn wants to get paid when he hits UFA, and Holmgren won't want to give him money and term on a deal he has yet to earn. It benefits both parties to tackle a bridge deal. After the bridge deal, if Schenn continues to progress steadily into that physical 50-60 point 2nd line center, 4.50m/y to 5.00m/y seems likely for his UFA contract in a few years time.

Basically, I doubt that we see a JVR deal.
Sub three for 2-3 years would be solid. If there wasn't such a log-jam at center, I would be all about a JVR-esque deal. But because of the uncertainty there, I think the only real way to handle Schenn is 2-3 years.

Old
03-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Curufinwe

A JVR deal would make more sense if the cap situation wasn't so tight. BSchenn getting a $2.75m AAV for two years versus $4.25m for five years could make a huge difference this offseason and next.

Old
03-24-2014, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
A JVR deal would make more sense if the cap situation wasn't so tight. BSchenn getting a $2.75m AAV for two years versus $4.25m for five years could make a huge difference this offseason and next.
That's true, but I really think that Schenn is going to stepping up his game during his next contract and if we want to keep him we're going to be ponying up some bigger dough after this contract. That being said, I actually expect him to traded at some point. I like Schenn a lot, and I think people are too hard on him around here, but he's the odd man out. Couturier is too damned good, Laughton doesn't have the same value so it wouldn't make much sense to deal him at this point, and Schenn's current production can likely be replaced on the wing through UFA or the draft (or even just shifting the lines a bit).

We'll see.

Old
03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I think part of the plan in getting Luke in the locker room was to keep both of them together at a reasonable price. It may not be much, but that one little shred of bargaining power can be helpful in keep prices down. The Flyers have never been an organization to claw for each dime when negotiating with players, so Brayden knows he will get his money. I'm not sure I see a legitimate cause for concern going into the offseason without him locked up, nor do I think either Schenn will be traded unless they're both moved in a package deal.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:07 PM
SAINDON

As Ari Gold said...

Get the **** Out!

Last edited by SAINDON: 04-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old
04-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

After the POs he's had he needs to have his bio pic changed to this:

04-22-2014, 11:01 PM
BringBackStevens

Brayden may have the hockey IQ of a toaster instead of Helen keller as I previously thought

Old
04-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Snotbubbles

Holmgren has no plan for this team. It's obvious from the Lecavalier signing. All he did was force Schenn to play out of position, and now instead of developing Schenn at the center position and allowing Couturier to get some PP time they have Lecavalier eating up those minutes (and doing so at a mediocre clip). The smartest thing Berube did was put Vinny on the 4th line and play Schenn at center. You have to take your lumps with the kid playing center.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Curufinwe

Vinny or not, I have serious doubts that BSchenn is hockey smart enough to be a good center. I think he'd benefit from playing a more simple game on the wing.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
BillDineen

I don't see why Schenn should be signed for any more than Couturier.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:19 AM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I don't see why Schenn should be signed for any more than Couturier.
Agree, he is not worth more to this team or contribute more than Couts. Couts will make 1.75 for the next 2 years.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Maybe trade Schenn for a mid 1st rounder and get a couple of really good prospects (Fleury and Barbashev/Milano/Pastrnak maybe?)?

Old
04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Maybe trade Schenn for a mid 1st rounder and get a couple of really good prospects (Fleury and Barbashev/Milano/Pastrnak maybe?)?

He might be awful lately but trading him for a mid-1st would be AWFUL asset management.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Closed Thread