HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Parise

Old
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Compared to, say, Hugh Jessiman, yes. My statement was not meant to mean Parise did not have above average skills.
... Now I'm pretty confused.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
... Now I'm pretty confused.
At the time of the draft, Jessiman was being hyped up bigtime. He was a guy that was looking to be on another level than most prospects because of his size and hints of offensive talent. He was being compared to Lindros, Bertuzzi, any and every big influential power forward in the game. With that said, he was the kind of prospect who....

Ahh, I see the problem. I kept thinking I said low risk. Excuse me...does that change anything?

Old
02-23-2007, 01:18 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Parise is hardly a low-upside player. The guy was an absolute star at UND (probably should have won the Hobey), and is going to be a multiple All-Star in the NHL.

I really don't like having to hate Parise, because I like UND and I've respected the hell out of him ever since he was there. I was not happy when the Devils took him.
Whoa cowboy! Parise is a nice player, but I wouldn't go saying he'll be a multiple all star just yet. He has a chance to be an outstanding NHLer, but the sample size is still too small at the NHL level to make that kind of comment

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Plus you never know if in a couple of years, big is in again.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Whoa cowboy! Parise is a nice player, but I wouldn't go saying he'll be a multiple all star just yet. He has a chance to be an outstanding NHLer, but the sample size is still too small at the NHL level to make that kind of comment

I'd be willing to bet an exorbitant amount of money that, barring major injury, Parise will make multiple All-Star teams.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'd be willing to bet an exorbitant amount of money that, barring major injury, Parise will make multiple All-Star teams.
You might lose that exorbitant amount of money too! Based on last season, I thought Peter Prucha would have around 30 goals again too...it hasn't happened!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:57 PM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Sometimes you can't fault a team for a bust. I bet Neil Brady was a great pick at the time but flopped. It happens. When you go off the radar and pick a flop, then you earned the hate!

Were fans/media/scouts happy with the Jessiman pick at the time?

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Just another reason why as much as I hate the Devils, I admire the hell out of them. They make the playoffs every year for a decade and come out with more top prospects than we have despite our terrible seasons. Unbelievable. Time to revamp our North American scouting department?
I agree with you completely. When the Devils are skating 14 home grown players compared to our 4 you know something is wrong, very wrong. I think it's pathetic that we have so few home grown players on the team...but hopefully that number will double in the next year or so.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
shoothepuck

Parise is a good player, proving to be a Ranger killer, and NY let him slip through their hands

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Along with Zajac. Zach and Travis do well together.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:09 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I often wondered about why we did not select Parise, how much that he was J.P's kid played into it, if at all. In the ultimate of ironies how great would it have been to turn the tables and select JP;s kid and have him play for the hated NYRs. I thought he was a great pick, especially for the devils and where they were drafting in that draft.

When you watch players that you've drafted they have to continually move forward in their game, show progress. We can bemoan picks like Jessiman, but it is funny how the same scouts don't get credit for picking Staal! Or Lundqvist, or Prucha, Sauer, Dubinski, Dupont, etc. Drafting is hard. You win some, you lose many.
I agree, let us also not forget other names like Zubov, Kovalev, Weight, Marc Savard, York, and I'd even say Blackburn.*

*trivia note 1: Blackburn was selected #1 in 01' ,the year after Lundqvist was selected #7, but of course played as a Ranger first.
*trivia note 2: D Moore was selected round 3 in 00' Lundqvist was selected 4 rounds later

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Well the Islanders didn't do much better. The fact that his dad had played for the team makes it worse. Jessiman still might be a player, or at least an asset for a trade somehow.

BTW, the Devils drafted Neil Brady of Brian Leetch so it all evens out.
That was before Lou and David Conte, so it doesn't count.

Also, if Parise keeps playing the way he is, he'll be the next Joe Nieuwendyk, and that will be awesome.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:11 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
At the time of the draft, Jessiman was being hyped up bigtime. He was a guy that was looking to be on another level than most prospects because of his size and hints of offensive talent. He was being compared to Lindros, Bertuzzi, any and every big influential power forward in the game. With that said, he was the kind of prospect who....

Ahh, I see the problem. I kept thinking I said low risk. Excuse me...does that change anything?
At the time of the Draft, it was still the "Old NHL" where "Size Matters". For years we were looking for our next "Adam Graves". At that point the team was not looking for another undersized forward. If it was the New NHL at that time, Parise would have been taken in a heartbeat over Jessiman. I see what Management was thinking. My biggest problem with the Pick is that they drafted from the IVY League in the first round. Why would you draft from a 2nd tier league when you cant afford to have a bad pick. A player out of the CHL should have been picked like Getzlaf or Perry. The mistake was picking from Dartmouth in the first round.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
johnny_rudeboy

They had an interview on Swedish TV with Christer Rockström, it was he who drafted Lundqvist and the reporter said that Lundqvist was a great pick and his answer was kind of funny. He said that Lundqvist was not a spectacular pick but he turned out great. He showed nothing of the abillity he have today at the time he was picked. So picking players is a lottery and not just pick 1-5...

It is not like they had their minds on drafting Lundqvist as their future #1 cause then they would have picked him earlier. What they saw whit him was an ok goalie who had an out side chance of making it as a back up in the future and at the time that was all one could predict from him.

So dont give to much credit to the gems found in the later rounds and dont cry outrage for the picks in the early ronds who doesnt turn out to be all that.

And the story with Jessi isnt over yet. Big boys take longer time to become any good. Even if I dont think he will become a 100p scored any time soon he could still play a part.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
BigE

Our scouting team has vastly improved over the last few years and you can see it in the picks we're making.

Give this group some time and you will see results.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote