HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How different is being a goalie in hockey than in soccer?

Old
03-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Can you not get used gear? There are so many steals out there.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
TorontoLeafer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Can you not get used gear? There are so many steals out there.
That's right! I forgot about that. I'm not so keen on a used jockstrap though.

Do you know how leg pads are measured? And the glove, what does full right and regular mean?

TorontoLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
PS12

You said youre new to hockey. Are you new to skating?

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 03:18 PM
TorontoLeafer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS12 View Post
You said youre new to hockey. Are you new to skating?
I've done quite a bit of rollerblading through out my life but only a bit of ice skating.

TorontoLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoLeafer View Post
I've done quite a bit of rollerblading through out my life but only a bit of ice skating.
Goaltending will be a journey for you then. I've seen some pretty good skaters on my own team try playing goalie and it was an unmitigated disaster. A goalie's mobility is key to their success. Standing in one spot and then dropping down only works so many times before its starts becoming extremely ineffective. Moving in goalie equipment on skates feels very awkward. Prepare to fall down on accident many times.

For the equipment I would never order a pair of goalie pads that I'm unsure of if they'll fit me or not. Always try on the equipment before buying. If you're trying on goalie pads, bring your goalie skates with you or borrow a pair at the store to use.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:07 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoLeafer View Post
That's right! I forgot about that. I'm not so keen on a used jockstrap though.

Do you know how leg pads are measured? And the glove, what does full right and regular mean?
You see used jocks for sale too.... But yeah maybe new on that.

Full right is basically left handed goalie. They have a right handed stick (in their left hand), and catch right handed. Regular is regular. Some lefties play regular, mostly because Full right is way less common and if you just use what is available it will probably be regular gear. Right handers playing full right is significantly less common.

You need
-helmet (for ice, a good one. Pucks come fast as hell and you will some to the head. Getting hit in the head sucks at best.)
-chest/arm protector (real old school stuff these were separate but most stuff now is combined. I dunno that any big name mass produced stuff is still separate arms and chest, unless your counting the fact that they are physically separate pieces often laced together)
-Gloves (blocker, catcher)
-Pants (goalie pants, maybe suspenders too)
-Leg pads (best to just try them on. The sizing is a bit confusing. Basically its the measure of the boot length + up to the knee then they will give like +2 for a thigh rise, meaning how many inches extra it sticks up over your thigh. Different manufacturers measure differently, and if the horizontal part that covers the top of your boot is longer that makes the pads measurement longer... even if it will fit the same as a smaller pad with a smaller boot. Generally manufacturers will have you measure knee to ankle, then have a chart that tells you what size. Best to just try on.)
-Jock (goalie specific again, typically will be at least a double cup.)
-Skates (again, goalie specific)
-Stick
Throat guard and or dangler is smart too. I just use a dangler (clear plastic thing that is tied onto the mask's cage and hangs down in front of your throat under the mask). Mine has been hit multiple times, so I am glad its there. I use separate knee pads too. Leg pads have a flap laced on that covers your thigh and knee, but most are semi minimal. For the most part that area will be blocked by the top of the pads, even when your butterfly... But I have taken at least 1 good puck to the knee that made me glad I had more. Really, I got knee pads because my older leg pads had no thigh rise were not really meant for butterfly so I was fairly exposed.

Spend on your mask and jock. Skate fitment is important.
Pro stuff actually is more protective. Nice if you can get it.

If you want to do it, you can do it on the "cheap"... Kinda. I paid $600 US and was OK... But that was all used and I did take the occasional stinger. I ended up spending more later to replace stuff so that I could be more confident I wasn't going to catch a bad puck. I am kind of a pansy, but the point is you would be well served to save up a little more and spend as much as you can.

I started with out experience, ice skated maybe 10 times total but had roller bladed... Yeah, fell over a good few times. Definitely had to stop myself with the crossbar when skating to my crease the first few times... But that has gotten much better and damn playing on ice/skating is fun.
Its ****ing hard, and just so insanely hot and physical... I though I understood that, but just was in no way prepared. Good fun though, nothing like shutting down a sure thing.

Last edited by scryan: 03-23-2014 at 11:17 PM.
scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 07:35 AM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

And I just thought of another thing. Go workout. A LOT. Especially on your legs and core because it isn't easy to be in the position a goalie stands for very long.

thevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Goaltending will be a journey for you then. I've seen some pretty good skaters on my own team try playing goalie and it was an unmitigated disaster. A goalie's mobility is key to their success. Standing in one spot and then dropping down only works so many times before its starts becoming extremely ineffective. Moving in goalie equipment on skates feels very awkward. Prepare to fall down on accident many times.

For the equipment I would never order a pair of goalie pads that I'm unsure of if they'll fit me or not. Always try on the equipment before buying. If you're trying on goalie pads, bring your goalie skates with you or borrow a pair at the store to use.
This is pretty accurate. If you were expecting soccer to give you a leg up on learning how to be a goalie, sorry to disapoint you

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
tfong

I've played both, fairly different skill sets though. But the soccer/football goalie needs to be more aware of the formation and needs to be able to command more than a hockey goalie. Hockey goalie needs to be way more reactive since shots tend to come in from in closer whereas football goalies need to predict shot paths at least a second or two ahead.

Then there is the several thousand dollar price gap between the two heh.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 06:31 PM
TrueBlue86

As a soccer goalie you will be facing 3-4 shots and in hockey you will be facing 30-40 (40+ if you play for the leafs). So yea...

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Znith

Start by playing shinny. Don't join a team when you first start, you'll get killed and get disheartened pretty quick. You can pick up used gear for $600 or so, but it will be harder if you're in the UK.

edit: then again the level of organized hockey is so much lower in the UK...there might be easier beginner stuff than in Toronto/oakville.

Znith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:50 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Shinny or beginner's clinic are good places to learn.

Hockey is going to be much much difference.
You will need to be a great skater and have great balance.
You'll need to be able to dig an edge into the ice and push off with BOTH legs can't stick to a strong side.
You will not be able to get 50% of a puck and keep it out like a ball if you aren't holding your arm tight to your chest there are lots of ways for a puck to squeak through.
You cannot be slow to hit the ground if you are expecting to come down on th puck hen you start you'll see a ton of goals simply shot along the ice quickly

That said it's great to be involved in 25-40 shots in a game and more room for error.
If you can get the right start I'm sure you'll do great and love it!

SaintMorose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:50 PM
JoeCool16

Your build is right at least! Although in lower levels, skill matters a lot more than size.

What's the used equipment scene like in the UK? In Vancouver, Canada you'd be able to find used goalie gear through something like craigslist ridiculously easy. It'd come down to which brand you want, and how much you want to spend. But that's because it's also hugely popular here.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
in hockey you are expected to stand in front of the shot and get hit, as opposed to soccer where you just dive out of the way

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote