HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rosen-Micheletti

Old
02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
imagine if we had mike crispino full time, that would be brutal
You do always want to give Crispino an 'A' for effort, though. He's absolutely lost when covering Rangers games, but I always feel like he's trying so hard!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
A bit OT here but will the Rangers do anything next week to honor J.D. when the Blues are in town?
I'm going a bit OT too by asking this, but does anyone besides me think it's weird how, aside from a few mentions here and there by Sam, any news of JD is virtually non-existent since he went to the Blues? I mean, the guy was the Hedda Hopper of hockey. He knew practically, if not every, player and had stories about just about everyone. Since he went to St. Louis, it's like he dropped of the face of the earth.

And no, I don't think the Rangers will do anything to honor JD, and that's not meant as a diss or anything. It just seems like the attitude is, he left and we all said our goodbyes and that's that. Having said that, I'd love it if they did do something. Kind of like Old Home Week.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
You do always want to give Crispino an 'A' for effort, though. He's absolutely lost when covering Rangers games, but I always feel like he's trying so hard!
lol, I love Crispy. He's a good fill-in because he just gets so surprised by everything. He has great enthusiasm, too bad he doesn't know enough to commentate. I can just watch the Malik shootout video for his reaction, priceless.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
paintballruler*

all Doc and Chicho talk about is how good broduer is....i cannot stand it

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
I'm going a bit OT too by asking this, but does anyone besides me think it's weird how, aside from a few mentions here and there by Sam, any news of JD is virtually non-existent since he went to the Blues? I mean, the guy was the Hedda Hopper of hockey. He knew practically, if not every, player and had stories about just about everyone. Since he went to St. Louis, it's like he dropped of the face of the earth.

And no, I don't think the Rangers will do anything to honor JD, and that's not meant as a diss or anything. It just seems like the attitude is, he left and we all said our goodbyes and that's that. Having said that, I'd love it if they did do something. Kind of like Old Home Week.
Pure speculation on my part but:

I'm not sure that JD left on the best terms. They showed an intereview with him before the season started and he was getting choked up about what the Garden meant to him, what the Rangers meant to him and how much the job meant to him. I'm not saying he was forced out but I do think that he might have felt he had to leave.

There were several quotes attributed to former Garden employees in the SI article on Lil' Jimmy that I could have seen JD being the source of.

02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
Having heard some unbelievable homers on Center Ice, I believe Chico is one of the most objective color guys around when it comes to penalties. Doc and Chico not only thought the Jagr penalty was weak, they were happy when the Devils didn't score on that power play because they didn't agree with the call. You don't have to like either of them, but you have to admit that's pretty objective.

Chico can be just as ebullient about the opposing team, he was slobbering all over the Penguins all game long.
As an addendum to my earlier comment, I do have to say that we're lucky in the NY area to have three groups of commentators who are pretty good at calling a spade a spade. While Resch's Brodeur-fixation drives me nuts, I have to admit that he and Emrick are good at maintaining neutrality, as are Sam and Joe and the Islanders duo (who's names I forget and am too lazy to look up right now).

Old
02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
and the Islanders duo (who's names I forget and am too lazy to look up right now).
You gotta at least know Howie "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" Rose man. The other is Billy Smith.

Old
02-23-2007, 01:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Emrick knows his **** and calls the game well. I just can't stand his voice, that's all.
Chico on the other hand makes me want to stick a fork through my eye. Even Devils fans that I know can't stand the guy.
I agree with anthony.

Of course it was better with Sam and JD, but im not disappointed with the new combo.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You gotta at least know Howie "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" Rose man. The other is Billy Smith.
Actually its Billy Jaffe.

http://msgnetwork.com/ourteam_bjaffe.jsp

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Is it really? LOL, whoops. I heard Billy all those times and just assumed it was Smith.

Old
02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
You gotta at least know Howie "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" Rose man. The other is Billy [Jaffe].
Of course Howie Rose! I couldn't have named the other guy and thought it would be more polite to leave them both off...

Thanks to you and SBOB.

Old
02-23-2007, 02:48 PM
JRGNYR

I like Sam and Joe. In fact, I liked Joe going back to '02 during the Olympic coverage. He's no JD, but the comparison isn't fair. And if you somehow can listen to JD as a color guy from '86 and compare it to last year... well, there's no comparison. Even the best in the business took time to get to that point. So let's cut Joe a little slack.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
kasparaitis666

Quote:
While Sam is my favourite, Doc Emrick is amongst the best play-by-play guys in the league. I don't like that he can never keep his mouth shut (I think most play-by-play guys feel that their job is to talk ALL the time, though, so that's not specific to him). I do like that he is good at using a broad vocabulary to describe the game in greater detail than most.
Uses a broad vocabulary? Half of the time he uses words that don't fit in the context of the game, and or makes words up. A perfect example is when he says something like: The shot was stopped in the goalies paraphernalia!

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm going on a limb and I'm going to say that Joe has been better than JD has been over the last 5 or so years. Joe's been a breath of fresh air. I cannot imagine a single person disliking the guy. He's brutally honest. Can't find that much in the game.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Billy Jaffe is the worst in the business. Worse than the Boston guys. Worse than the Buffalo guys. Worse than anyone.

Old
02-23-2007, 03:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I'm going on a limb and I'm going to say that Joe has been better than JD has been over the last 5 or so years. Joe's been a breath of fresh air. I cannot imagine a single person disliking the guy. He's brutally honest. Can't find that much in the game.
I like Joe as well. I also don't feel the need to compare him to JD.

Old
02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Well i think both are doing a good job and have no problems or issues dealing with them or listening to them.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparaitis666 View Post
Uses a broad vocabulary? Half of the time he uses words that don't fit in the context of the game, and or makes words up. A perfect example is when he says something like: The shot was stopped in the goalies paraphernalia!
Paraphernalia is a correct word. How else do you call the stockings (called hockey socks) held by gather belt with a little mattresses tied over them?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Equipment

Old
02-23-2007, 03:32 PM
94now

Quote:
I cannot imagine a single person disliking the guy. He's brutally honest. Can't find that much in the game.
That is the problem to me. Being a Ranger fan for so long I tend to hate the honesty when it comes to my team. I prefer him talking about Isles shortcomings rather. I know what is bad myself. Chico doesn't take shot at Rangers, and even if he does say something negative he does it cautiously enough... Joe's comments about Jagr do not do any good. They just inflame already frustrated fans.
As for Sam, he , IMO, has never loved the game the way JD did. He is a fine pro that over the years was able to compliment JD well enough. Joe, if he wants to stay, has to take over and make Sam what he truly is: a fast talking guy.

Old
02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I like Joe as well. I also don't feel the need to compare him to JD.
Not comparing them, just saying that I've enjoyed Joe a lot more than I did the JD of the last 5 or so years.

Old
02-23-2007, 03:52 PM
shoothepuck

Sam and Joe seem to be doing ok. Anyone who would listen to Chico, as opposed to having the sound turned off, needs to have their head examined.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
94now

Quote:
Equipment
Technically it is not accurate, although I agree for the moment that would be an OK term ( Goalie equipment usually excludes protectives which is a separate item list)

Old
02-23-2007, 05:32 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma82 View Post
I have no problem with them, obviously I'd rather have JD in the booth. You have to give them time to compare them with Sam and JD, who worked together for how many years?

It could be a lot worse.
I agree 100% and I can't stand Doc and Chico. Joe is a 30-40 goal scorer, and JD was Gretzky, but that's ok with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Sam and Joe seem to be doing ok. Anyone who would listen to Chico, as opposed to having the sound turned off, needs to have their head examined.
Doc's voice is just obnoxious too.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not comparing them, just saying that I've enjoyed Joe a lot more than I did the JD of the last 5 or so years.
I know you aren't. I think some fans are, though.