HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laforge presentations

Old
02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
The Joker*
Simba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I would hope the Oilers wouldn't leave themselves in such a dangerous position of possibly losing Smyth and getting absolutely nothing back in return.

With the problems this team has in attracting quality UFAs (Laforge alludes to this himself in what you said), it's not like it'd be easy for the Oilers to spend that 5M on someone else.

Losing Smyth would be a kick in the junk, but it'd be even worse if he simply walked away.
Yeah, I don't quite agree with it either. Unless they think that he will re-sign before July 1st but not before the deadline.

The Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:05 PM
The Polak*

I'm confused, if smyth hasn't signed his "final offer" yet, why would he suddenly want to sign it as he gets closer to UFA?

Sounds like he might end up testing the market.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil3rs View Post
Yeah, I don't quite agree with it either. Unless they think that he will re-sign before July 1st but not before the deadline.
The only reason I could see the Oilers not trading a soon to be UFA in Smyth before the deadline would be for the same reason the Oilers didn't trade Marchant and Joseph...they were needed for the playoff drive.

This year, the playoff drive is hanging onto the edge of a cliff with one hand, and with every loss one more finger loses its grip.

Last edited by Digger12: 02-23-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
The Joker*
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
I'm confused, if smyth hasn't signed his "final offer" yet, why would he suddenly want to sign it as he gets closer to UFA?

Sounds like he might end up testing the market.
I dunno, your guess is as good as mine, doesn't make sense to me either but it's exactly what LaForge said.

He also when he said "he might playout his contract" said that "that's what lots of athletes do, look at Barry Bonds". So I dunno what that meant.

The Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The only reason I could see the Oilers not trading a soon to be UFA in Smyth before the deadline would be for the same reason the Oilers didn't trade Marchant and Joseph...they were needed for the playoff drive.
That would be brutal to not make the playoffs and still lose him for nothing.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:42 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
-I asked him if the EIG would be able to continue to spend up to the cap as it continued to move up and he avoided the question.

Classic spinmaster

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Kamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
That would be brutal to not make the playoffs and still lose him for nothing.
Unless the Oilers contend for the Cup this year it would be a terrible mistake to let Smyth go for free.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
OYLer

Driving the Bottom Line by getting net results that aren't in the red...

Quote:
This is what he talked about:

-Said that they have absolutely no interest in trading Smyth and the has an offer on the table, essentially saying it was $25mil over 5 years and he could either take that offer or playout his contract and move into the open market.
The negotiating nightmare continues for KLowe as Smytty continues to stuff-in the goals and rack-up the points. The decision not to sign Ryan 1st and worry about the RFAs later backfired.

Quote:
-I asked him if the EIG would be able to continue to spend up to the cap as it continued to move up and he avoided the question.
This is not an acceptable response or an acceptable strategy, and the paying fans need to know that if the EIG aren't just concentrating on building a new facility, and using tax payers money and then being "tightwads" and not spending to the CAP in order to finance Bricks & Mortar at the expense of icing a truly competitive team. Player asset management and winning is more important to the fanbase than if the EIG can increase the value of the franchise by scrimping on the hockey operations budget just so they can eventually cash-out as big financial winners because a new Arena Complex gets built.

Quote:
-Said they would get a new rink.
Money talks and spending on obtaining great players takes the back seat again. Not Paying the Price of Admission and spending to the CAP limit is inexcuseable. I shall not support these owners, if this is their intentions. The ice has been leveled, let's not cheap-out and make The Edmonton Oilers and second class team because there is a lack of vision that recognizes that winning (in the hottest economy in Canada) is the only acceptable outcome.

The fan base will fade away if the Oilers don't choose to spend the necessary dollar$ in order to have and equal and fair chance of winning. The poor small market weak sister excuse no longer applies.

Quote:
-Said that the all-star game was an absolute disgrace and he was glad there was no one watching it because it's an embaressment to the game. Everyone hates it - players, owners, GMs
I agree with him.

Quote:
-Said that Messier night would last 23 minutes, not a second longer.
Good to hear, by my avatar it should be apparent the degree of respect I have for #11. But NHL hockey is a 'What have you done in order to win lately!' so let win some games, sign some players, fire a coach or 2 and bring in some new blood, whatever it takes to capture another CUP! If spending to the CAP limit is the problem then E-Town will always be a Hicksville backwater only suitable for pond hockey. We the Paying Customers, the most important of stakeholders deserve more.

Quote:
-Talked about how Edmonton and Canada as a whole sucked and why would anyone want to live here so that's why it's hard to find free agents, they have to market it as being an attractive place to play.
EXCUSES! EXCUSES! EXCUSES! Money talks and BS walks! If the new CAP is U$46,000,000.00 then spend it, raise the corporate ticket prices and the ticket prices in general. If the fans won't pay then sell the franchise and stop pretending the EIG is only interested in doing community service. We in Edmonton are either willing to compete or we are not.

Quote:
-Said that there's no such thing as tradition in hockey, this is an entertainment business not a church.
I agree 100%. So if the Oilers don't make the playoffs, all senior management staff should be prepared to take a pay cut by the same percentage as the money that was not spent to get to the CAP limit. Profits for the EIG shouldn't be removed from the operations budge but invested into the players budget for the 2007/08 year. As an Emonton property tax player, I will not support a losing team that does not contribute to the spillover economic benefits to other non-related business (hotels, sportsbars, shopping outlets, etc.) because the EIG refuses to Pay the Price of Admission ! ! !

Quote:
-Not a big fan of Bob Cole and Harry Neale and made fun of the Leafs 40th year anniversary a bit.
Hey we lost that game, lets hope the Yotes don't spoil our party. Winning is the BOTTOM LINE ! ! ! I'm hoping our esteemed President & CEO hasn't forgotten the prime directive. That MAXIM from which all good things follow in professional sports. In the short, medium, and long term running on "the cheap" just won't get the job done and the bills paid.

I was going to end at that last statement for effect but thought I would be remiss if I didn't point out some additional ways to increase revenues. The Oilers should perhaps offer some more imaginitive season ticket sharing solutions, wherein they would offer to broker (for a fee) those season ticket holders who want to offload tickets that they can't or do not want to use. This strategy might help reach the 100% ticket sellout goal. Much like in the old Gardens, institute a rule that if seats aren't occupied by season ticket holders by the end of the 1st period (excepting exordinary circumstances - really bad weather, etc.) those ticket could be resold at a discount and then maybe many financially challenged fans (younger and older alike) could be afforded an opportunity to attend most of a game they might not. Fan bases grow out of more exposure and less inflexibility.

Last edited by OYLer: 02-23-2007 at 05:00 PM.
OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote