HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Vetenary clinic in Montreal for eye surgery?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2014, 08:53 PM
  #1
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Good Vetenary clinic in Montreal for eye surgery?

Well here is the situation. My cat got an eye ulcers that will probably require surgery. The vet i went referred me to Centre venerinaire DMV in Lachine. After some reading on the internet i just see that they are extremely charging and not the best, maybe.

Do anyone got any recommendation? I read that Liesse Animal Clinic in Dorval look good. But do you any recommendation or feedback about a clinic to operate your animal?

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
  #2
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Well here is the situation. My cat got an eye ulcers that will probably require surgery. The vet i went referred me to Centre venerinaire DMV in Lachine. After some reading on the internet i just see that they are extremely charging and not the best, maybe.

Do anyone got any recommendation? I read that Liesse Animal Clinic in Dorval look good. But do you any recommendation or feedback about a clinic to operate your animal?
Frankly, I always thought that DMV was pretty much one of the best.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:15 PM
  #3
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Frankly, I always thought that DMV was pretty much one of the best.
Well i dont know, seriously, but i found this after some search

http://www.vetratingz.com/ratings/18...naire+DMV.html

Half of the people who went there seem unhappy. So i dont know. They might be good, but im just hoping they dont charge like 3000$ for it or ill freak out ...

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
  #4
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
http://www.taschereauveterinarianhospital.ca/

This is where I go by far the best place I found but its on the south shore.
Its allots cheaper then any other place I ever been. The only problem is they treat you like humans so you wait in the in the room like in a emergency room.

psychonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
  #5
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Well i dont know, seriously, but i found this after some search

http://www.vetratingz.com/ratings/18...naire+DMV.html

Half of the people who went there seem unhappy. So i dont know. They might be good, but im just hoping they dont charge like 3000$ for it or ill freak out ...
That's what emergency care for an animal costs. It's crazy but you made the commitment. Emergency care is typically $600 a night in hospital plus diagnostics plus treatment plus surgeon costs plus drugs. Plus HST.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:40 PM
  #6
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
That's what emergency care for an animal costs. It's crazy but you made the commitment. Emergency care is typically $600 a night in hospital plus diagnostics plus treatment plus surgeon costs plus drugs. Plus HST.
That's why I got pet insurance. I pay 40$, it covers 90% of the bill for my dog and he's covered for everything, except vaccination shots.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
  #7
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
That's why I got pet insurance. I pay 40$, it covers 90% of the bill for my dog and he's covered for everything, except vaccination shots.
Mind i ask you where you take these kind of assurance please?

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:45 PM
  #8
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
That's what emergency care for an animal costs. It's crazy but you made the commitment. Emergency care is typically $600 a night in hospital plus diagnostics plus treatment plus surgeon costs plus drugs. Plus HST.

I know i made the commitment. Just trying to find now a kid of cheaper and trusty alternative.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:46 PM
  #9
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Mind i ask you where you take these kind of assurance please?
I'll send you a pm.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:55 PM
  #10
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,321
vCash: 50
http://www.cvrivesud.com/

Not in Montreal, but ya... Pretty much the top clinic in the province.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:56 PM
  #11
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Mind i ask you where you take these kind of assurance please?
Too late for your eye problems or for any other pre-existing condition the animal has . "Insurance" is something you have to take out almost day 1 when they are kittens and have no medical history.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:02 PM
  #12
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Too late for your eye problems or for any other pre-existing condition the animal has . "Insurance" is something you have to take out almost day 1 when they are kittens and have no medical history.
Not true, you can insurance the animal at any age. The only difference being it will be much cheaper when the animal is a baby.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
  #13
Oshawa General
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
I know i made the commitment. Just trying to find now a kid of cheaper and trusty alternative.
I have (2) big dogs, also had a cat and the only place I trust now is a Vet in St Lazare, well worth the drive, price is reasonable, very caring Doctors and caring staff, St-Lazare Veterinary Hospital

http://www.veterinairevaudreuil.ca/s...st-lazare.html


Last edited by Oshawa General: 03-23-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: wrong info
Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:14 PM
  #14
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Not true, you can insurance the animal at any age. The only difference being it will be much cheaper when the animal is a baby.
Not true. When making a claim the insurer will look at all existing medical records since birth, pre-existing conditions are not covered.

I know this from experience.

My dog was insured at 2 years old, and he had knee problems at 4 years old. The insurer didn't cover a $1800 surgery because they examined vet records and at a very early age the vet had noted looseness in his knees and possible arthritis.

Our research found that this is standard in all the major animal insurance plans.
Also, if you make a claim on a condition that condition is not covered again, and your premiums will go up.

Better to sock away $40 a month and pay out of pocket.
These plans rarely work in the pet owners favour.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
  #15
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Not true. When making a claim the insurer will look at all existing medical records since birth, pre-existing conditions are not covered.

I know this from experience.

My dog was insured at 2 years old, and he had knee problems at 4 years old. The insurer didn't cover a $1800 surgery because they examined vet records and at a very early age the vet had noted looseness in his knees and possible arthritis.

Our research found that this is standard in all the major animal insurance plans.
Also, if you make a claim on a condition that condition is not covered again, and your premiums will go up.

Better to sock away $40 a month and pay out of pocket.
These plans rarely work in the pet owners favour.
Maybe it depends where you insure you dog.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:25 PM
  #16
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Maybe it depends where you insure you dog.

These are pretty standard policies with the big name insurers. How many claims have you made and when did you insure your pet?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:27 PM
  #17
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
These are pretty standard policies with the big name insurers. How many claims have you made and when did you insure your pet?
I got my husky insured at a around year old and he's now four. I only made one claim, although it was minor. It was for a blood test which cost around 100$. I only ended up paying 10$.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:28 PM
  #18
Kobe Armstrong
Registered User
 
Kobe Armstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,505
vCash: 713
Pliers and sedatives

Kobe Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:32 PM
  #19
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I got my husky insured at a around year old and he's now four. I only made one claim, although it was minor. It was for a blood test which cost around 100$. I only ended up paying 10$.
Try making a major claim for a condition that exists on his medical record. You will be denied the claim guaranteed. That's why it is favourable to take out the policy when they are kittens/pups.

I guarantee 100 percent the OP cannot make an eye surgery claim for his pet. Ever.

Unfortunately the insurer will not tell you at the time you take out the policy, they will tell you when you try to make the claim.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:35 PM
  #20
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Try making a major claim for a condition that exists on his medical record. You will be denied the claim guaranteed. That's why it is favourable to take out the policy when they are kittens/pups.

I guarantee 100 percent the OP cannot make an eye surgery claim for his pet. Ever.

Unfortunately the insurer will not tell you at the time you take out the policy, they will tell you when you try to make the claim.
I hope I never have to make a major claim.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:41 PM
  #21
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,130
vCash: 500
Pierrefonds vet clinic


I find them to be the best in the Montreal area. Haven't tried the St Lazare one mentioned above, but tried most others.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 06:35 AM
  #22
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Thank a lot all for your recommendations. Ill will call a few of thwm and see what are my options

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 08:54 AM
  #23
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,856
vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Not true. When making a claim the insurer will look at all existing medical records since birth, pre-existing conditions are not covered.

I know this from experience.

My dog was insured at 2 years old, and he had knee problems at 4 years old. The insurer didn't cover a $1800 surgery because they examined vet records and at a very early age the vet had noted looseness in his knees and possible arthritis.

Our research found that this is standard in all the major animal insurance plans.
Also, if you make a claim on a condition that condition is not covered again, and your premiums will go up.

Better to sock away $40 a month and pay out of pocket.
These plans rarely work in the pet owners favour.
40 a month is not cheap...

That is $500 a year so by age 4 that's already costing you $2000 and the insurer wont even cover a surgery on half potential problems? hardly seems worth it.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
  #24
rickthegoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
I have no idea on the prices compared to other places, but I have been to the St-Hyacinthe hospital affiliated with Université de Montreal vet faculty, and was blown away with the proffesionalism of these people.

I went there with a dog from the Mira fondation that had cataracts in both eyes.
Truly impressed with the medical staff.

http://www.medvet.umontreal.ca/chuv/...compagnie.html

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.