HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster for next season...wide open

Old
02-23-2007, 02:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
To the moderators:

Why aren't you moving these posts to the "rant" thread?

Indeed, I didn't send the letter I wrote...but I'm going to now. Talk about your double standard.
A little ranting is ok...just like going a little off topic is ok. Best analogy I can come up with would be like trying to give speeding tickets to people driving no more than ten miles over the speed limit....it is the eleven and overs that tend to get moved but it is subjective of course.

02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
A little ranting is ok...just like going a little off topic is ok. Best analogy I can come up with would be like trying to give speeding tickets to people driving no more than ten miles over the speed limit....it is the eleven and overs that tend to get moved but it is subjective of course.
I know I certainly appreciate this little bit of leeway. It's easy for anyone who is passionate about this team to stray off topic a little bit now and then.

I think it's a little silly to call it a double standard.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyEh View Post
Compare the 01-02 roster (Cup Finalists) to the 05-06 roster (Cup Winners). Just 9(of 32 players each year) are hold-overs. Most of those were role players, people like Kevyn and Craig Adams making less than $1M a year. And even among the IMPACT players, only Erik Cole was a Carolina draft pick. Brind-Amour, Hedican and Ward all came through trades.
I don't see how that's relevant to what the Caps are trying to do. No one ever said that Caps would build exclusively through the draft, and right now some of their best players came from outside the organization.

I believe that the current plan is to acquire as many young, cheap core players as possible while hopefully drafting well, and then supplement that core with more expensive FAs when necessary. The team is also stockpiling prospects and picks that can then be used to trade for veterans when the time is right.

So far, IMO, the Caps have done exactly what they said they would since the start of the rebuild.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't see how that's relevant to what the Caps are trying to do. No one ever said that Caps would build exclusively through the draft, and right now some of their best players came from outside the organization.

I believe that the current plan is to acquire as many young, cheap core players as possible while hopefully drafting well, and then supplement that core with more expensive FAs when necessary. The team is also stockpiling prospects and picks that can then be used to trade for veterans when the time is right.

So far, IMO, the Caps have done exactly what they said they would since the start of the rebuild.
Exactly right. I think we're all just a little impatient from time to time. Especially...after the team was ahead of schedule earlier this year and in the top 8 in the East. What will be the telling tale is if Ted/GMGM will now pull the trigger and use some of these assets to mold the team into a winner. I'm a little torn, because I think it might be a little early to start making major deals involving our youth.

Old
02-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I'm a little torn, because I think it might be a little early to start making major deals involving our youth.
I might agree with you depending on your definition of a "major deal."

It's too early to sell off prospects for vets, but I think it's the perfect time to trade prospects for prospects. That's hardly a major revelation since a lot of the regulars here (myself included) want to move Eminger for another youngster in a change-of-scenery swap. I wouldn't consider that to be a major deal, just as I wouldn't consider a swap including Fehr or Green to be a major deal.

Now if GMGM moved all three of those guys at once plus a pick, then we're definitely getting into major deal territory.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I might agree with you depending on your definition of a "major deal."

It's too early to sell off prospects for vets, but I think it's the perfect time to trade prospects for prospects. That's hardly a major revelation since a lot of the regulars here (myself included) want to move Eminger for another youngster in a change-of-scenery swap. I wouldn't consider that to be a major deal, just as I wouldn't consider a swap including Fehr or Green to be a major deal.

Now if GMGM moved all three of those guys at once plus a pick, then we're definitely getting into major deal territory.
I would certainly consider any deals including our prized 1st round selections of the last 5 years major. I mean these are the guys that have been touted as the future of the franchise. Especially Green. I mean Leonsis has said publicly that he's a #1 in the making.

I'm torn on Eminger. I'd say I'm probably 51% against, 49% for a deal for a similar youngster coming back. All depends on the return.