HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pominville to Montreal this summer??

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
People realize Pominville plays for the US nationally right?

Hardly un gars de chez nous
He's as American as I am a Leafs fan.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblood20 View Post
http://www.habsolumentfan.com/pominv.../2014/03/15252

Just saw that on my Facebook feed. Thought you guys would like it!!

It says that Pominville is trying to sell Montreal to Vanek so that he signs here and that this summer, Pominville will be traded here.

And it says that the source is familly.
I wouldn't touch anybody who would do that to his present team. If true

Old
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Plekanec > Pominville
But Pominville >> Gionta, so there's that at least.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I wouldn't touch anybody who would do that to his present team. If true
I would. Cause it means to him the Habs are more important than everything else.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblood20 View Post
And it says that the source is familly.
Rob Blake's nephew used to give me "inside information" every year about how he was unhappy with the Kings and wanted to go play for the Leafs. Then it was he was unhappy in Colorado and was going to sign in Toronto as a free agent. Then it was he was going to end his career in Toronto and replace Mats Sundin as captain.

I also used to know a hockey player from the Windsor/Essex area (won't say who, he still plays, we don't talk anymore) who used to tell people at summer BBQs he was gonna sign with the Red Wings just to mess with them. Every BBQ. I'd have to look up if he's a free agent this year because if he is he's gonna do it again.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Jason Pominville is the wild's leading scorer...he's 31 and only makes 4 million bucks....he just signed and extension to stay with the wild and if this rumour were true, that would be tampering. So maybe what pominville would really like to do is coax his former teammate into joining the wild this summer, much like former teammate daniel briere will try to do for us. I smell t-shirts being made already.

Team Briere
Team Pominville

which will vanek choose? somebody should get on that and make briere look like a vampire...pominville like a werewolf hahaha
that would be awesome

Old
03-24-2014, 10:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Load of bull.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Dagistitsyn

What would Minnesota want in exchange?

Old
03-24-2014, 10:54 AM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Of course every city has bars but Montreal has a reputation around the league for a well earned reason. Not to mention that with Montreal is a hockey mad city that LOVES it's superstars, it's not hard to imagine a player getting in trouble outside of the home.

Also, because he does have a family and kids schools and day to day live become more difficult. I was born and raised in Montreal and live in the GTA now and I can tell you right now from an outsider perspective, I see why people wouldn't want to play for Montreal for a long period of time. There's a huge cultural difference and it can be very intimidating if you're not used to it especially with the politicical situation that surely doesn't and won't help.
Montreal is a great city. I was born and raised there myself. That said, it's not for everyone. Night life isn't what most of these guys care about. These guys all make a ton of money. They can do any of that stuff in any city they please and have the best experience. Also, as much as we don't want to admit it, the language is an issue not to mention the even worse politics that surround it as are the relentless media and fans.

Old
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
If we get rid of high salaried players like Plekanec(5M) and Gionta(5M) or even Briere, maybe we can fit them all

Old
03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Montreal is a great city. I was born and raised there myself. That said, it's not for everyone. Night life isn't what most of these guys care about. These guys all make a ton of money. They can do any of that stuff in any city they please and have the best experience. Also, as much as we don't want to admit it, the language is an issue not to mention the even worse politics that surround it as are the relentless media and fans.
It's not so much that "language/politics is not an issue" but that you don't know what every single hockey player's decision making is when it comes to going to Montreal. Every team has a thousand different reasons why and why not to sign somewhere.

Between the mid 90s until the late 00s, Montreal wasn't an attractive destination. Gainey wine and dined free agents like Shanahan and had strong relationships with guys like Jason Arnott and offered the most money to guys like Daniel Briere and they just wouldn't come. You know what's also common in that time? Montreal wasn't a good team. And Montreal was just another team. Then the Canadiens won the Eastern Conference in regular season and had the All-Star game and Draft in Montreal. It put a spotlight on the team for superstars to experience the city as more than just a place they have to play in. And with free cap space, Gainey was able to grab up several free agents in one year. And it changed the image of Montreal for free agents.

Grumble all you want about Gainey but between 07-08 and 12-13 Montreal has missed the playoffs once and brought in tons of free agents other teams wanted. Cammalleri, Gionta, Moen, Cole, Prust, all of these guys were expected to sign elsewhere. They signed in Montreal. Paul Mara, Brandon Prust and Danny Briere took less money in Montreal than offers from other teams.

Right now, Montreal gets an early shot at signing Vanek. We don't have to invite him to Montreal on the first day of free agency. His tour is now. Any factor for him coming or not coming is different to every other team.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
JAVO16

Anybody know Vanek or Pominville's cousins ?

Old
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
I heard (source familales) that Crosby is trying to convince Orpik to sign here this summer and then Crosby will be traded here.

If you need more credibility I can include a photo of Bergevin.
Well played

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and i have a source, my brother, who works with briere's sister who says that danny had asked to be traded. angry at how he is used

maybe i should open a blog and legitimize myself
Not surprising to be honest. But having lived next to a prominent NHLer for the better part of my youth, they don't really speak about contractual matters all that much.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
His posts make me irrationally hate Eden Hazard.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Mike8

I thought this ridiculous 'rumour' was brought up and shot down already.

On another note: I don't see why there's this insistence that Montreal's got some exceptionally good night life. Relative to Minnesota, maybe. But relative to an average North American city, not really. Montreal's a big town, albeit a nice one, and there's not enough money in Montreal for it to be the party city for young millionaires that a lot of other North American cities can offer. It's also so unpleasant in winter that the night life is only consistently good in spring/summer -- when players aren't likely to either be in the city, or going out as much.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:23 AM
GeorgeLebay

I hope he gets booed the crap out of from now on

Last edited by GeorgeLebay: 03-24-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Well played

Not surprising to be honest. But having lived next to a prominent NHLer for the better part of my youth, they don't really speak about contractual matters all that much.
Maybe not to YOU

Old
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Websites would write anything to get clicks these days.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Soon it will be MSL's turn.

Old
03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
People realize Pominville plays for the US nationally right?

Hardly un gars de chez nous
Dude, I played my youth hockey with him and he's as Quebecer as I am (we grew up in Repentigny). I think he is / was eligible to play for both Canada and US, but for Canada he didn't have any room.

Un gars de chez nous 100%

Old
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I thought this ridiculous 'rumour' was brought up and shot down already.

On another note: I don't see why there's this insistence that Montreal's got some exceptionally good night life. Relative to Minnesota, maybe. But relative to an average North American city, not really. Montreal's a big town, albeit a nice one, and there's not enough money in Montreal for it to be the party city for young millionaires that a lot of other North American cities can offer. It's also so unpleasant in winter that the night life is only consistently good in spring/summer -- when players aren't likely to either be in the city, or going out as much.
Exactly, if people would travel a little more they'd realize the nightlife here is pretty average at best compared to some cities.

Old
03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
Exactly, if people would travel a little more they'd realize the nightlife here is pretty average at best compared to some cities.
Phuket, Hong Kong and Singapore have a big leap ahead in the "crazy crap factor"

In N.A. though, NY, and LA are nuttier

Old
03-24-2014, 12:20 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
What would Minnesota want in exchange?
Probably Gallagher and a NHL ready D prospect (so, either Beaulieu or Tinordi).

One thing is for sure, they don't need centers (Granlund/Mikko as 1/2 and Haula/Brodziak as 3/4), so we'd have to trade Plekanec elsewhere. Or not resigning Markov. Because Poms is making 5.6 millions for the next 5 years.

So, it's not happening. There's a much bigger chance that Vanek joins Pominville and his NTC in Minny than the opposite...

Old
03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Not a legitimate source.