HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Old
03-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Cigar City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMach View Post
Real stoked to get down there in a couple of days, but we haven't gotten our tickets yet for next weeks games. I'm sure like most arenas that have been built/renovated somewhat recently there is no bad seat in the house, but I was wondering if you guys had any comments on ideal seats, especially for a students budget.
I prefer the first few rows of the 300 level on the attack twice side, but sometimes you can find lower level attack twice for like 30 bucks depending on date and opponent. Those are my favorite.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:37 PM
ClassicMach

Snagged a couple of mid-row 200 level and mid-row 300 level, both in Lightning attack twice. Shame it looks like rain all week lol

ClassicMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMach View Post
Snagged a couple of mid-row 200 level and mid-row 300 level, both in Lightning attack twice. Shame it looks like rain all week lol
Good for you on the 200's. Those are usually out of my price range! Lol.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:55 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50
My girlfriend and I are planning on visiting Tampa and the area in September. Maybe we'll even be able to catch a Lightning pre-season game somewhere in Florida (I heard one will be Orlando?).

How's the weather at that time? It's still hurricane season in September, right? Should we postpone?

Thanks for your replies!

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:04 AM
berlin
wait...... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning on visiting Tampa and the area in September. Maybe we'll even be able to catch a Lightning pre-season game somewhere in Florida (I heard one will be Orlando?).

How's the weather at that time? It's still hurricane season in September, right? Should we postpone?

Thanks for your replies!
Very hot

berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:

Thanks for your replies!
It's pretty warm still in Sept, but it's usually starting to cool down a bit near the end of the month.

And yes, it's still hurricane season. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, the forecasts are usually pretty good about where they are headed and 99% of the time you have plenty of time to duck and dodge. We also haven't had any major storms for quite awhile.

That 1% can be kind of...exciting.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:07 AM
MattM92

Quote:

Thanks for your replies!
They have played at the Amway Center for a preseason game the past couple of years and it was a blast. I went 2 years ago when we played St. Louis and it was quite fun. Orlando is an easy hour and 40 minute drive from Tampa.

It's still going to be hot, but it shouldn't be late July, early August hot. And don't worry about hurricanes. I've been here for 17 years and have never been threatened by one. You'll be fine

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:42 PM
ClassicMach

Didn't remember to come back here after I got home lol.

What an unreal experience. I really LOVE how you guys toe the line of major and minor league sports, in the best way possible. Still keeping the dignity of major leagues without the snobbiness that stifles the fun. The atmosphere is incredible. Before that, my only NHL experiences were in Minnesota and Detroit, which are great, but not really comparable. Impressively knowledgable fanbase, the pre and post-game festivities add a ton to the experience. Hattricks was great, the TBBC was awesome.

All in all a very unique experience and I'll definitely be back as soon as my savings account thinks its a good idea.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:46 PM
ClassicMach

Oh, and hanging out by the parking lot as the players were leaving was awesome. Great bunch of guys, collected a whole whack of signatures. Missed out on getting a couple of the biggies I was hoping for (Brown, Johnson) but I'm definitely not complaining.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
The wife and I will hopefully be moving down to Tampa soon. (when we sell our house) I see 2-3 sports radio stations just quickly googling. What station/s do you guys consider the best?

Last edited by SpokedLightning: 04-15-2014 at 12:28 PM.
SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 12:20 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
The wife and I will hopefully be moving down to Tampa soon. (when we sell our house) I see 2-3 sports radio stations just quickly googling. What station/s do you guys consider the best?
What time of day are you listening?

98.7FM has a decent morning show, only because Dingman will actually mention hockey. I haven't listened to 620AM too much in the morning and 1010AM is the same as 98.7FM. 970AM has the hockey games, but it isn't a sports station.

I work midnights, so I listen alot to 98.7FM or 620AM, and it isn't local at that point, it's national sports. 98.7FM has national sports some too during the day with Jim Rome.

We get Farrel (sp?), the V show, and Amy Lawrence for national on midnights. Booger and Rich have a show, which I hate, during the days and so does Whitney Johnson, who I also hate, Big Dog Steve Duemig is evenings and is hit or miss for me.

I hate the Rays, and local guys suck off the Rays verbally on a regular basis. During football season I like hearing about the Bucs.

You'll have to listen and figure out what you like best, like I said it can also depend on the time of day you're listening. When possible, I listen online to New York Sports radio.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Maliki2

Was going to go to the game but all the parking is sold out...what options are left for game 2 and are they safe?!?!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 06:47 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Was going to go to the game but all the parking is sold out...what options are left for game 2 and are they safe?!?!
There's places throughout downtown you can park, metered spaces.

They don't cost too much overall, and they aren't in bad areas.

Just start from the arena and work your way outwards and find one. It'll be cheaper and there is really no safety issue. Plenty of people park throughout the area, so you're not just out there by yourself.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Werewolf

Park in the parking garage across the aquarium (lots of parking there and close to the arena) - get there early.

Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
Listen to 98.7 and 620 between 6am and Noon - for local sports coverage. Between Noon and 3pm you have Rome on 98.7 and 620 has Jay Mohr which are nationwide shows. At 3pm 98.7 and 620 go back to local coverage until Rays starts - 6 to 7pm. As has been mentioned before 970 carries the Lightning.

So yeah...these two radio stations pretty much will cover all your local sports coverage.

Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 01:43 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Listen to 98.7 and 620 between 6am and Noon - for local sports coverage. Between Noon and 3pm you have Rome on 98.7 and 620 has Jay Mohr which are nationwide shows. At 3pm 98.7 and 620 go back to local coverage until Rays starts - 6 to 7pm. As has been mentioned before 970 carries the Lightning.

So yeah...these two radio stations pretty much will cover all your local sports coverage.
98.7 from 9-12 is better than the garbage of Ron and Ian on 620 at the same time. Big Dog is an idiot except when it comes to golf and betting. He's on at 3-7ish and Booger and Rich are on 98.7 at the same time. Rich is an idiot, Booger only knows football. Mark Ryan is on 98.7 from 7-10 I think and he's decent. You get nationwide shows after that. So it's basically pick your poison.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
When it comes to sports radio in Tampa Bay my advice would be to get SiriusXM.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:28 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Well after only 2 weeks on the market our house is under contract. So it looks like you'll be getting two more northern transplants in a couple of months.

thanks for all the sports radio advice btw.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Jacko95

Hopefully your colors transplant from yellow to blue as well

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 03:55 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50
Not really a Tampa Bay question but have any of you been to the Florida Panhandle? Any places to recommend (beaches and so on)?

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
angelsil
On Thin Ice

Quote:
Not really a Tampa Bay question but have any of you been to the Florida Panhandle? Any places to recommend (beaches and so on)?
Destin has nice beaches, though it's a bit touristy.

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 11:01 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
Destin has nice beaches, though it's a bit touristy.
Destin was my first thought. She's right, pretty touristy.

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
snowden
Man is matter

The panhandle sucks

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY