HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
03-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Lemons

vCash: 500
Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Does he need more time for adjustment ? He's kinda "okay," not really worth his pricetag from what we've seen so far other than his hattrick (Which were all essentially deflections).

I just expected more from an elite scorer.

Am i seeing this differently ?

EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED.

PLAYOFF EDIT: I DONT EVEN GNO ANYMORE.

Last edited by Lemons: 05-01-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I was wrong.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Have you ever seen him play?

He's like that.

The whole line didn't look good the whole game actually.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:46 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
I thought he has been doing great, He was on the puck tonight like crazy, Never gave up on the plays. He stood out to me a lot tonight with his hard work.

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Smoky Thompson

I've been pleasantly surprised with his passing skills actually. He's taken over 30 shots since the trade, eventually he'll start scoring more goals.

Something that was evident tonight is how strong he is on the puck. Only guy on his line who was able to sustain the constant pressure imposed by the Bruins.

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:47 PM
le_sean

He's a pure goal scorer, that's how they play.

Cammalleri didn't do anything when he wasn't scoring goals either.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Habsland35

wouldnt put too much stock into tonight...the whole line was bad but honestly, thats vaneks style

the night he scored his hattrick he looked the same way as he did tonight, only difference is that he scored 3 goals

it doesnt seem like hes doing much on the ice but hes really effective...going to be the difference maker in the playoffs

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Does he need more time for adjustment ? He's kinda "okay," not really worth his pricetag from what we've seen so far other than his hattrick (Which were all essentially deflections).

I just expected more from an elite scorer.

Am i seeing this differently ?
Since 07 he is the 4th highest goal scorer...not bad...
He has created alot of chances, and has 4 goals and 3assists....would it have been better to pick up Conacher ontrade deadline day?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LLoyd Christmas I

vCash: 134
He's deadly when he has space to operate.

I'm just glad a team like the Bruins didn't pick him up, he'd be absolutely lethal in their system.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Bleu Blanc Rouge

Why is there always someone who brings up something negative ******. We just beat the hottest team in the league with 10 forwards, enjoy the moment ****.

Bleu Blanc Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habsfan88

Tonights game was the worst time to bring up this topic, because think about it... How is he supposed to have chances or show off his offensive prowess if we never established proper puck possession in the offensive zone. Not going to hate, we played great defensively, the PK was outstanding as well and obviously Budes was fantastic.

But tonight was not a night where this team was able to develop any sort of offensive chemistry. our lone goal was a tipped shot from the point, and then the rest of the game was a "perfect road game", as the cliche goes.

Lets see what happens in Buffalo

habsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

It's kind of the story of his career, lately more than usual. Lots of floating with some game breaking brilliance. Think Ryder with a lot more moves. But you can get away with occasional disinterest when you are that complete an offensive player.

He's skilled enough that he's a positive possession player in a purely offensive role, but he's a net negative defensively, and avoids all contact except for the times he feels like going to the net. This year he has often looked more interested in avoiding injury and preserving himself for his next contract than earning said contract.

He can still be dominant at times (there was a brief period when Okposo-Tavares-Vanek was arguably the best offensively line in the league), but he's not going to drive offense by himself. The best way to make use of his talents is to increase puck possession.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThaDevilGirl

I don't like the fact that Max kept trying to pass to Vanek. Shoot the damn puck ffs.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Clumsyhab

He does look slow, but I still want him re-signed with the Habs.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

You need time, find and build chemistry is not done over the course of 2-3 weeks

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
He does look slow, but I still want him re-signed with the Habs.
In a perfect world Vanek resigns with the Habs and Briere is moved. The biggest concern with Vanek is that this team is collecting a dangerous amount of one way players. But talent like that is harder to find than defensive plugs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:53 PM
gusfring

When has Vanek been a dominant player?

He isn't Malkin Crosby or Tavares.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Noob616

Well that's the thing, I hope Vanek makes people realize how good Pacioretty is. Vanek is in the Cammalleri/Ryder mold of sniper, not a great possession forward, has little to no defensive value, and is more about being in the right place in the right time with good puck skills. It's not a slight against him because he's still a heck of a player, he just isn't good enough to be "the guy".

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
LastChancePrice

Yop he suck. Same as Martin St-Louis.

You crying about the game tonight? Well, i saw tons of Habs player not following the beat, not just him.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
WakeUpNHL

Vanek playing safe not to get injured... as a UFA he has a big contract to sign at the end of this year.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Yeah he only had a hat trick since coming here. What a bum

Seriously tho, he scores in bunches. He's like a super Michael Ryder that is more skilled, more complete and competes harder. In effect, he actually does replaces Ryder who was kind of missed this year and that we didn't replace this summer (he wasn't good at the end of last season but he was one of our primary goal scorers all year. This season we only had Pacioretty...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL
Vanek playing safe not to get injured... as a UFA he has a big contract to sign at the end of this year.
Of course, the entire world is a conspiracy against the Habs. I know that song.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 03-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post
Tonights game was the worst time to bring up this topic, because think about it... How is he supposed to have chances or show off his offensive prowess if we never established proper puck possession in the offensive zone. Not going to hate, we played great defensively, the PK was outstanding as well and obviously Budes was fantastic.

But tonight was not a night where this team was able to develop any sort of offensive chemistry. our lone goal was a tipped shot from the point, and then the rest of the game was a "perfect road game", as the cliche goes.

Lets see what happens in Buffalo
ha. that's why it was brought up tonight. vanek was great last game too. made some unbelievable passes.

he was the best player on his line tonight.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Impossible Glory

We need that kind of talent badly, even if I wouldn't give him 8,5-9M for an extended period of time. Goalscorers usually peak young, it's not out of question that he hits Dany Heatley territoy in 3-4 years.

He does look a bit slow though. Maybe his conditioning isn't top notch, Buffalo and Long Island aren't really places that keeps you motivated. Wouldn't worry about it though.

Impossible Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Lebowski

He's fine. It's the way he plays and has always played. He's not someone that will dictate the flow of the game, even though he's a fairly good passer and can dangle at times. GIve him some room and he can beat any goalie thanks to his shot alone. That's an invaluable asset on any team.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Dr_Hook

He never was a dominant player. He is a prolific goal scorer.

Personnally, I don't think he's a fit on the right side of Patch/DD at even strenght ; I thought the line looked better with Gally. Get VAnek on his preferred side (the left) of whoever is centering the so called 3rd line so it creates another legitimate scoring threat. That plus 1st wave PP should be his ideal role

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Bullsmith

He's an elite goal scorer. Marian Hossa lite, and Marian Hossa was similarly criticized for much of his career, certainly through his time in Ottawa. Then he went to game 7 of the finals 3 years in a row for three different teams.

I'll take my chances on Vanek, if he'll sign. No hesitation at all, frankly. The guy's not just hands, he's a bull. Once he finds chemistry with a center (Galchenyuk perhaps, next year) he's good for 25-35 for the next few years. And this team could seriously compete in that window, if they can add pieces like Vanek.

MB did a hell of a job at the deadline this year. May well come to naught, but he gave the coach some useful pieces this year.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote