HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
03-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

vCash: 50
Playing with DD and Pacio needs some adjusting, they are essentially two players making one entity and for him to sneak in means that DD can have him as the first option before Pacio.

Hes a true winger and one that usually finishes instead of creating hes having some small issues adapting to our dandelion but it will adjust in the coming weeks.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Habblues

vCash: 500
I`m VERY impressed with Vanek`s play....He continues to get better game by game...AND he`s making the team around him better....He has some sweet soft hands.....I`ve noticed DD and Max doing some things they were not doing before Vanek arrived. Even if he leaves town on July 1st he will have made our team better....i just hope his pride takes over and he decides that he really wants to play in a city where hockey means everything.....How many millions do you need ?

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 04:38 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

When you compared to the last deadline home run (Kovalev), he's a much different player. Kovy could control the play all by himself and bring the puck into the offensive zone like no other player I've seen with the Habs. Vanek is exclusively great when in the offensive zone. Otherwise, he's pretty damn useless. With that said, he's really skilled, good shot and good vision.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Andrei79

His offensive instincts are off the charts. He's exceeded my expectations.

I watch the game differently from most here. He's been dangerous almost every shift.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:55 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Need to adjust the lines.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:57 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
His offensive instincts are off the charts. He's exceeded my expectations.

I watch the game differently from most here. He's been dangerous almost every shift.
A lot of people care only about the stats.

He have been very good so far.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:36 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Need to adjust the lines.
This. Put him on a line with Galchenyuk.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:41 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
A lot of people care only about the stats.

He have been very good so far.
I'd have to agree here.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
BRAD HABSFAN

When he is rumored to be on the move we want him, when we do not grab him MB is an idiot and needs to go, when we do grab him he isn't as great as we expected, and when/if he does leave, he couldn't handle Montreal, he just wants money, he is a moron, ETC>>>>>I sometimes think people who post/start threads are like 13 year old girls worried about what the 'flavor of the month' in clothes are. What they loved today is 'so yesterday' tomorrow. Never happy and always searching.

Vanek brings something WE DID NOT HAVE AND WE NEEDED to have any shot in the playoffs. My god the guy will be electric in the playoffs and when he hears the fans serenading him you will see a level from him that will make you open the wallet to keep him. He sits his azz in front of the net when we have the zone. Tell me the last hab to do that bigger then Gallagher. The guy scores in that dirty area in front. I just wasted my time answering a little girl who can not decide what color to wear with her lime green shoes...

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Does he need more time for adjustment ? He's kinda "okay," not really worth his pricetag from what we've seen so far other than his hattrick (Which were all essentially deflections).

I just expected more from an elite scorer.

Am i seeing this differently ?
See what happens in playoffs before deciding

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Uber Coca

You probably expected too much. Vanek is a fine player, but like most players he'll disappear for some games. There are few players in today's NHL that can dominate a game on a consistent basis anyway.

He's still one of the only forwards on this team that gets scoring chances every game. I didn't know he had such a good vision of the game before. He definitely can pass the puck.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Anyone that was expecting Vanek to dominate doesn't know how he plays. He's a slow-skating, somewhat lazy, opportunist with really good hands and vision. He'll appear to be hot and cold when viewing his stats, but he pretty much plays with the same effort level each game..sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

What a stupid thread... I missed last night's game but so far I've been impressed by Vanek's passing who can make some hard passes look easy and is usually on point on the trajectory of the puck of where the player will be. He has excellent hands up close and he's had a ton of chances already. Defensively he's not as bad as I expected him to be. He's better than Pacioretty IMO and has been one of our best player since his acquisition.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I`m VERY impressed with Vanek`s play....He continues to get better game by game...AND he`s making the team around him better....He has some sweet soft hands.....I`ve noticed DD and Max doing some things they were not doing before Vanek arrived. Even if he leaves town on July 1st he will have made our team better....i just hope his pride takes over and he decides that he really wants to play in a city where hockey means everything.....How many millions do you need ?
It's not about how many millions he could get, otherwise he probably would have signed that contract with the Islanders. It's about where. Rumor is he wants to go to Minnesota because his wife is from there.

I get that, private life is important for anyone, and it must be long for hockey wife to stay back home "alone" while the player travels left and right. She wants to be with her family.

Remains to be seen if Minnesota want him, and can afford him. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept Moulson instead, probably cheaper.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Does he need more time for adjustment ? He's kinda "okay," not really worth his pricetag from what we've seen so far other than his hattrick (Which were all essentially deflections).

First off look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZg9RBIfe8

2nd off in the past 5 years he is the 3rd leading goal scorer in the league.

3rd off a goal is a goal no matter what it is. And if it so easy to score garbage goals (tip ins) why isn't the rest of the league doing it? We have a sniper on our hands. That is what snipers do they tip and shot and hide and wait for the right time to come out.

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:29 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Vanek was never a dominant force. He does his thing and produces, but no he is not a franchise player.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
habtastic

Yes he is.

That is all.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:35 AM
MarkovtoSubban

Saw one shift of Briere and Vanek in OT last night.

With the lines needing a shift maybe:

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Vanek-Briere-Bournival

With all the injuries I'd still bench Bork.

MarkovtoSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Karl Pilkington

Vanek's s concentration is on scoring goals.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Coldplay
Courage

When Vanek is not scoring, he's putting himself in the right places to make the right plays. He's an extremely smart player, and his passing is, imo, as good as his shot.

I don't agree with the assessment that when he's not scoring, he's not doing anything.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
yianik

Other posters have pretty much covered it, Vanek isn't a prime time Kovalev who can dangle with the puck for half a minute in the other teams end and then roof a wrister after hes turned half the opposition inside out.

Vanek uses his very good size to park himself in scoring areas and uses great hand eye coordination for tips and a great release for quick shots at the net. This is his game. I have actually been impressed at how he both takes and gives short quick passes that lead to scoring chances. I am more interested in signing him than before we got him as I think he can be a 30 goal guy for years to come.

Last edited by yianik: 03-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Masuli

Thomas Vanek stats from Canadiens NHL stats:

Montreal: 9GP 4G 1A -1+/- 2PP 1GW 32S
Islanders: 47GP 17G 27A 4+/- 5PP 2GW 137S

This Vanek guy seems awful

No really Vanek is everything he is expected to be: Park your ass in front of goalie, cash in rebounds. I'd throw him the money to lock him up for 5+ years.

Masuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Erik Estrada
Pinotte

Our #1 problem this season is scoring goals.
Vanek scores goals.
The extra goal(s) he can provide could mean the difference between winning and losing a series.
Vanek is the best thing that could have happened to the team at the trade deadline.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:50 AM
zzoo

I like Hossa more than Vanek.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:

Dominant force? He never was, nor was he ever expected to be. He's a goal scorer who scores goal scorer goals. Yeah, the hattrick goals were a deflections. Those are precisely the kinds of goals that pure goal scorers get for you. Notice anyone else get those very often? You kinda answered your own question.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote