HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whatever happens, not even attempting to negotiate contracts with Souray and Markov..

Old
02-24-2007, 06:37 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Whatever happens, not even attempting to negotiate contracts with Souray and Markov..

...is irresponsible!

As nothing has happened so far, the most shocking thing I have heard is Gainey Thursday confirmed the club's policy not to negotiate during the season and that no attempts whatsoever have been made to sign either Markov or Souray...

This policy, to me, is stupid and it is absolutely irresponsible not to have at least tried to sign them now, to the extent he wants to keep them both or at least one of them...

This is what most if not all other teams do with their impending UFAs they want to keep, such as Phoenix re-signing Doan and trading Nagy after trying to re-sign him, Boston trying to re-sign Sturm, POilers trying desperately to re-sign Smyth, etc...

Actually, the only way this make sense would be if Gainey does not intend to retain either of them and has made his mind up to trade both before the deadline, an unlikely scenario???

This remind me of another stupid policy the Habs had for a long time (I believe they've cured this one), this time at the draft. While ALL other teams conducted meetings and personality checks with potential draftees, the Habs, for some reason, thought they were smarter than everyone else and DID NOT meet any player before the draft, leading to their disastrous drafting through most of the late 80's and throughout the 90's, aprticularly in teh 1st Round.

Time to shake off the dust on some of this archaic stuff!!!

Last edited by plafleur10: 02-24-2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: title not long enough, last part cut
plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:59 AM
AH

hmmmmm.

It must be Saturday since I see another one of your whine sessions.

Koivu signed his contract during the season last year.

Markov's contract is almost done if you believe Murray Wilson (he said so last Saturday). There have been other rumours with regards to this on RDS.

The personality tests at draft time have been going on since Andre Savard stepped in. Kind of odd to be complaining about something that was resolved at least SEVEN years ago.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:03 AM
BLONG7

The Gazette had a story where after Jan1/2007 the negotiations had begun with Markov's agent, it's just a fact that even while this goes on BG does not talk about it to the press...Just a hunch, but I think BG has a deal set in place for Markov, even Souray said Markov was the teams #1 Priority...As for Souray, only BG and Souray's agent know what will really happen, just because BG doesn't spew to the press about what is going on, doesn't mean that there is nothing happening...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Toro

Gainey let Huet become a UFA last season and signed him when any one could have. But this is a very dangerous way of doing business.

I agree this policy is not a good one. It has to go.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:28 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Gainey let Huet become a UFA last season and signed him when any one could have. But this is a very dangerous way of doing business.

I agree this policy is not a good one. It has to go.
No he didnt.
http://www.habsblog.com/2006/06/26/c...s-2-year-deal/

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:29 AM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Markov's contract is almost done if you believe Murray Wilson (he said so last Saturday).
So Murray Wilson knows more about Bob Gainey than Bob Gainey himself?

Damn...

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:46 AM
plafleur10

Did the guy make this up?

Quote:
hmmmmm.

It must be Saturday since I see another one of your whine sessions.

Koivu signed his contract during the season last year.

Markov's contract is almost done if you believe Murray Wilson (he said so last Saturday). There have been other rumours with regards to this on RDS.

The personality tests at draft time have been going on since Andre Savard stepped in. Kind of odd to be complaining about something that was resolved at least SEVEN years ago.

Here's a Gainey quote from the Fourth Period, check out the last 2 paragraphs, where Gainey confirms he has not negotiated with anybody:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070223.html

Old
02-24-2007, 08:49 AM
plafleur10

Murray Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
So Murray Wilson knows more about Bob Gainey than Bob Gainey himself?

Damn...
Murray Wilson is Gainey's best friend. Remember the Saturday when Gainey's daughter disappeared, Wilson was not on the game broadcast that evening, but rather was at the Gainey house with the family.

Don't understand, however, how Wilson could be saying something different than what Gainey told the media in Nashville...

Old
02-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
so where does it say that Huet was not a UFA when we signed him this past offseason?????

we traded for him, and let him become a UFA and then signed him for 2 yrs...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
SOLR

June 26th...UFA starts july 1st.

Old
02-24-2007, 09:46 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
As long as we sign Markov.. That's all I'm concerned about with our UFA's at the moment.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:52 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Murray Wilson is Gainey's best friend. Remember the Saturday when Gainey's daughter disappeared, Wilson was not on the game broadcast that evening, but rather was at the Gainey house with the family.

Don't understand, however, how Wilson could be saying something different than what Gainey told the media in Nashville...
WRT to the policy of not negotiating with free agents dueing the season, then how do you explain the Koivu contract last year in FEBRUARY?

Old
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
plafleur10

Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
As long as we sign Markov.. That's all I'm concerned about with our UFA's at the moment.
Agreed Markov IS the #1 UFA priority, although I would wish he would be less moody and assume more of a leadership role given the type of money he will command, but this is not his personality...

I'm not sure if things are that great between him and Carbo, there was a little incident during the 2nd period vs, caps Tuesday that might have not been noticed on TV (I was at the game).

We got a PP and Markov/Souray were sent in as the first unit on the point. There was a whistle quickly after the PP started, had like 1:44 left, with a faceoff in the offensive zone, Carbo called Markov back and sent in Streit, Andrei was VISIBLY upset and skated back to the bench extremely and exaggerately slowly, to the point where one of the refs got upset, blew the whistle and skated to the Habs' bench to give them some sort of warning (probably that a delay of game or too many men on the ice penalty would occur next time a change was so slow), you could see Carbo was hopping mad...

This is the type of thing the 4-5MM$/year player he will be next year just can't do...

Old
02-24-2007, 10:00 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
At the same time as your not getting it done right away when you have the chance, we have seen that contract talk for pending UFA's can be a distraction. Look at all of talk in the media about Smyth, Guerin (or is it tkachuk), Brewer, etc... All of these talk about not signing an extension or they are going to get traded. If you look at this policy, it tells the players that the reason there is no contact about contracts is not because the team doesn't want to sign them, but because they want the players to focus on the team, and winning, and not about where they are going to play next year and for how much. There is plenty of time (hopefully 3 weeks) to sign players after the season and this policy allows them to focus on winning.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:05 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
...is irresponsible!

As nothing has happened so far, the most shocking thing I have heard is Gainey Thursday confirmed the club's policy not to negotiate during the season and that no attempts whatsoever have been made to sign either Markov or Souray...

This policy, to me, is stupid and it is absolutely irresponsible not to have at least tried to sign them now, to the extent he wants to keep them both or at least one of them...

This is what most if not all other teams do with their impending UFAs they want to keep, such as Phoenix re-signing Doan and trading Nagy after trying to re-sign him, Boston trying to re-sign Sturm, POilers trying desperately to re-sign Smyth, etc...

Actually, the only way this make sense would be if Gainey does not intend to retain either of them and has made his mind up to trade both before the deadline, an unlikely scenario???

This remind me of another stupid policy the Habs had for a long time (I believe they've cured this one), this time at the draft. While ALL other teams conducted meetings and personality checks with potential draftees, the Habs, for some reason, thought they were smarter than everyone else and DID NOT meet any player before the draft, leading to their disastrous drafting through most of the late 80's and throughout the 90's, aprticularly in teh 1st Round.

You're definately right on this one. This is totally irresponsible imo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
plafleur10

Koivu

Quote:
WRT to the policy of not negotiating with free agents dueing the season, then how do you explain the Koivu contract last year in FEBRUARY?
You are right, Koivu is the SOLE exception...

The reason is he is our captain.

Check out today's article in La Presse confirming, both from Gainey's and Don Meehan's mouth, that NO negotiations whatsoever have taken place with Markov so far and that Koivu last year was an exception due to the fact that he is our captain and that the archaic "no negotaition during the season" policy otherwise stands:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

I rest my case!

Old
02-24-2007, 10:09 AM
plafleur10

Too busy

Apparently, according to the article, the reason for not negotiating during the season is MR. gainey is too busy with the rest of his functions (ie. making trades) taht he has no time to negotiate contracts...

Old
02-24-2007, 10:23 AM
SOLR

People need to understand that it cost more money to sign a player in February than in june.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
AH

Quote:
You are right, Koivu is the SOLE exception...

The reason is he is our captain.

Check out today's article in La Presse confirming, both from Gainey's and Don Meehan's mouth, that NO negotiations whatsoever have taken place with Markov so far and that Koivu last year was an exception due to the fact that he is our captain and that the archaic "no negotaition during the season" policy otherwise stands:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

I rest my case!
Or we could take Murray Wilson's word for it and it's done. are you actually trying to build a case for your whine fest based on what the interested parties say in public?

Come on....

Old
02-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Lucius

Let's be honest here, the regular season ends in mid-April. If we make the playoffs and go out in round one, that's late April. If we go out in round two, that's early May. If we go out in round three, that's mid May and if we win the cup or lose in the finals, that's early June.

Free agency is July 1st.

If he cannot sign someone to a contract in (best case scenario) one month... he cannot sign them period.

It also gives both sides the maximum amount of knowledge. IE: Markov is our hero now, but a well placed own net goal in an important playoff game and suddenly, that four year contract may not sound like such a good idea.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:05 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
...is irresponsible!

I know you just like to ***** and whine and you are essentially a troll here, but I'm going to respond anyway.

You are, i you believe a word of what you've written, incredibly niave.

Of course Gainey is going to say he has had no discussions and will continue to have no discussion during the season. That way the ravenous Montreal media stay out of it and their contract talks to not become a distraction during the season and playoff race.

With the Montreal media, Gainey, Souray and Markov would constantly be talking about the contracts and a whole ****storm would whirl up on talk radio, television and the print media.

So Gainey cites "team policy" for the reason there are no talks. But if you think, for one second, that conversations haven't been ongoing for several months, you're hilariously gullible.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:14 AM
znk

Didnt ottawa do the same thing with Redden and Chara?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:23 AM
plafleur10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I know you just like to ***** and whine and you are essentially a troll here, but I'm going to respond anyway.

You are, i you believe a word of what you've written, incredibly niave.

Of course Gainey is going to say he has had no discussions and will continue to have no discussion during the season. That way the ravenous Montreal media stay out of it and their contract talks to not become a distraction during the season and playoff race.

With the Montreal media, Gainey, Souray and Markov would constantly be talking about the contracts and a whole ****storm would whirl up on talk radio, television and the print media.

So Gainey cites "team policy" for the reason there are no talks. But if you think, for one second, that conversations haven't been ongoing for several months, you're hilariously gullible.
The beauty of it is we will know before Tuesday who is more naive (at least about the Markov signing "done deal").

The "sect" of gullible fans who see Gainey as sort of the next best thing after God and who see a masterplan even in his mistakes (and who also think it is right for him to outright lie to the media and fans to "keep them out of it" according to your "theory") (and who will not hesitate to personnally attack any poster who dares post against the "Gospel") or the realistic fans who point out mistakes when they believe they are made and who realize, amongst other things, that the field has been levelled by the salary Cap and taht there is no reason for the Habs, with the best fan base in hockey, to satisfy tehmselves just to be an average team and that this organization more tahn any other has a duty to always strive to be the best.

I, for one, am a proud member of the second group and, call me a "whiner", a "troll" (whatever that is), an "incredibly naive" person, a "Saturday morning whiner" or any other insult you can come up with, I will continue to voice my opinions here as I see fit (and will try to remain civilized despite your provocation).

I would also like to add that I belive the press and the fans have a fundamental right to the truth and that it would be very wrong to outright lie to them as you suggest, wrongly in my view, that Mr. Gainey has been doing.If Mr.Gainey does not want to divulge something, which is his right to a degree, all he has to say is "No comment" or "I would prefer not to discuss this at the time being" or, as the Habs like "policies", "Our policy is not to discuss contract negotiations" and taht does the trick.

Old
02-24-2007, 11:33 AM
AH

Quote:
I would also like to add that I belive the press and the fans have a fundamental right to the truth and that it would be very wrong to outright lie to them as you suggest, wrongly in my view, that Mr. Gainey has been doing.If Mr.Gainey does not want to divulge something, which is his right to a degree, all he has to say is "No comment" or "I would prefer not to discuss this at the time being" or, as the Habs like "policies", "Our policy is not to discuss contract negotiations" and taht does the trick.
OK ... SURE. He should just divulge what he is up to so that he can be taken to the cleaners when it comes to trades and contracts, or PISS OFF his entire team by saying I am offering so-and-so player for Jokinen but the Panthers do not want to bite.

I wonder how much the offered player will now want to go to war for the team knowing he is on the table.

Old
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
so where does it say that Huet was not a UFA when we signed him this past offseason?????

we traded for him, and let him become a UFA and then signed him for 2 yrs...
Um no we didn't.

Huet was signed before July 1st, which was the official date he would've become a free agent. You're thinking of Bouillon, who was officially signed around July 1st at noon, but contract negotions were going on a bit before that.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote