HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chance MDZ doesn't return next year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
  #26
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Actually Poile brought MDZ here to help offensively by doing what he does best. Problem is coach Trotz and Poile don't seem to be on the same page.
I would like to know what forward upgrade Klein was going to bring...
Package some combination of Klein, Ellis, (maybe Wilson), 1st all the sudden you get some guys interested.

Goligoski got Neal and he's nothing special. Maybe slightly better than Franson. Ellison got Patrick Sharp.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:24 AM
  #27
wentz22
Registered User
 
wentz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Listening to Fenton interview on 102.5 last night it really seems like he and Poile are happy with the youth and direction of the Dcore so i cant imagine MDZ leaves. This seems more like another rift between Trotz and Poile.

Poile Fires Peter Horachek much to Trotz's Dismay

Poile Trades the picture of the Preds Defensive style Klein for Offensive risk MDZ

Poile admits that the Preds system could have resulted in Legwand not developing to his full potential

Now the Trotz scratching of MDZ.

Just my opinion.

wentz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:37 AM
  #28
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,766
vCash: 500
I think a very realistic scenario this off-season:

Trotz fired.
Poile "President of hockey operations."
Fenton GM.
Housley - HC or remains assistant.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
  #29
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentz22 View Post
Listening to Fenton interview on 102.5 last night it really seems like he and Poile are happy with the youth and direction of the Dcore so i cant imagine MDZ leaves. This seems more like another rift between Trotz and Poile.

Poile Fires Peter Horachek much to Trotz's Dismay

Poile Trades the picture of the Preds Defensive style Klein for Offensive risk MDZ

Poile admits that the Preds system could have resulted in Legwand not developing to his full potential

Now the Trotz scratching of MDZ.

Just my opinion.
Interesting way of looking at it. Honestly, a couple weeks ago, I thought there was no way Trotz is out, but more and more, I think we see him in Winnipeg next season.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
  #30
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 18,915
vCash: 500
you guys, Trotz does this with defensemen all the time. Franson, Hamhuis and even Suter. Klein went through it for years.

Legwand, Wilson, Smith, Erat and now Forsberg have been the forwards that have been through this or are going through it.

It's what Trotz does.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
  #31
wentz22
Registered User
 
wentz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
you guys, Trotz does this with defensemen all the time. Franson, Hamhuis and even Suter. Klein went through it for years.

Legwand, Wilson, Smith, Erat and now Forsberg have been the forwards that have been through this or are going through it.

It's what Trotz does.

We know it's what he does, but its not always the best asset managment.

wentz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:09 AM
  #32
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Package some combination of Klein, Ellis, (maybe Wilson), 1st all the sudden you get some guys interested.

Goligoski got Neal and he's nothing special. Maybe slightly better than Franson. Ellison got Patrick Sharp.
And who would this person be that another team would trade and be worth Klein, Ellis/Wilson, 2014 1st?

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:47 AM
  #33
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
I mean Diamond, Cooper, & whoever runs the Predlines twitter have all said MDZ is in the doghouse & it's a situation that bears watching. What exactly is dumb about me saying that?
If you can read, I specifically put I wasn't referring to Diamond. You can lump Cooper in it as well. I am referring to fan blogs, websites and twitter accounts and citing them. It is conjecture and to think we would have traded a top 4 dman in this league on a sweet contract for a guy we aren't going to qualify is idiotic. Trade him? Maybe.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
  #34
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 18,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentz22 View Post
We know it's what he does, but its not always the best asset managment.
While I'll agree with the forwards, you can't argue with the results on defensemen.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:43 PM
  #35
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
No way we trade him or don't qualify him after trading KK for him. That would be just ignorant.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
  #36
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
And who would this person be that another team would trade and be worth Klein, Ellis/Wilson, 2014 1st?
I'm not going to speculate on something can can't be speculated. I gave you a few examples of decent (but not great) players who were traded for scoring line players. Throw in 1st, Ellis, etc, all the sudden I think you get interested teams.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:59 PM
  #37
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
How's DZ been playing in Nashville?

Something has to be up with him, DZ anchored 22-23 minutes a night on the Rangers backend the last two years, and the Rangers were either contenders or the 3rd best team in the east.

He was awful early this year, and had a similar down year his 2nd season. The Rangers defense looked set with DZ, Staal, McDonaugh and Girardi at one point, but DZ just fell off this year.

At first I thought he couldn't play AV's system (he couldn't), but figured he'd be better in a tighter checking system that he was for a couple of years. Has he been playing poorly?

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:32 AM
  #38
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
How's DZ been playing in Nashville?

Something has to be up with him, DZ anchored 22-23 minutes a night on the Rangers backend the last two years, and the Rangers were either contenders or the 3rd best team in the east.

He was awful early this year, and had a similar down year his 2nd season. The Rangers defense looked set with DZ, Staal, McDonaugh and Girardi at one point, but DZ just fell off this year.

At first I thought he couldn't play AV's system (he couldn't), but figured he'd be better in a tighter checking system that he was for a couple of years. Has he been playing poorly?
I wouldn't say poorly, but more not what the coach wants. The only 3 defensemen on this team who are allowed to play the offensive side without facing punishment should a mistake happen are Josi, Weber, and Jones (who makes tons of rookie mistakes).

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  #39
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
As long as he listens to the coaching staff, he'll be fine. Guys, remember that Suter was bounced to MIL while growing into a regular NHLer. And Suter wasn't happy about the demotion either. Del Zoto is a great fit for the 2nd pairing. There is NO WAY Poile gives up Kleiner if MDZ wasn't the right guy for this team. Klein is a solid Dman locked up for years with a great contract. You don't trade that away unless you're getting value coming back. Based on Trotz's comments, this seems like a lack of effort from MDZ. With the season all but over, I'm not surprised.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  #40
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
We will see soon enough if it is a health issue. If Jones is not able to go Tue MDZ will have to be in if healthy. If it is a situation with Trotz why aree we surprised MDZ had issue with Torts and later with Vigneault. Could this be three strikes and you out? Who knows, I never liked the trade but somehow some way MDZ needs to preform. If not we have pissed away KK for nothing.
As a Rangers fan, I'm not sure Del Zotto ever had "issues" with Tortorella or AV, but he seems to have left them wanting and that's ultimately why he was moved. He has had a hard time playing up to his skill and ability, and maybe that frustrates some coaches. On the other hand I don't think he plays bad enough to just be ditched for nothing, that wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71 View Post
MDZ isn't a good fit here. Great passer, but his skating makes him a defensive liability. Just no acceleration, especially in reverse.

He looked ok paired with Jones, and has looked really bad with Ellis. This makes sense considering Jones is a little better defensively than Ellis. Ironically, the perfect pairing for MDZ would have been... Kevin Klein.
This is all true as well and part of the reason the Rangers traded him...they needed a steadier defense first kind of guy on the right side to pair with Moore

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
  #41
NYRCSKA*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Rangers fan here.

MDZ has a very low hockey IQ. He just makes dumb plays often and is a defensive liability. He has moments where he shows up, but in order for him to be a decent NHL player, he needs to get his head out of his butt. MDZ is his own worst enemy. He just doesn't get it.

NYRCSKA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  #42
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,311
vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As a Rangers fan, I'm not sure Del Zotto ever had "issues" with Tortorella or AV, but he seems to have left them wanting and that's ultimately why he was moved. He has had a hard time playing up to his skill and ability, and maybe that frustrates some coaches. On the other hand I don't think he plays bad enough to just be ditched for nothing, that wouldn't make much sense.



This is all true as well and part of the reason the Rangers traded him...they needed a steadier defense first kind of guy on the right side to pair with Moore
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ntry-1.1636499

It was no secret, though, that Del Zotto didnít get off to a great start under Rangers coach Alain Vigneault this season. That came as a surprise, since Del Zotto was supposed to be one of the primary benefactors from a switch from John Tortorella to Vigneault.

This is but one example of what I have read that differs from the opinion MDZ has issues with coach's.

It is also apparent that MDZ will not change his game. There are times he solid but far too many times he takes chances that are costly to the Preds. The Preds are not a very good passing team really have not been very good ever. MDZ takes chances especially in the neutral zone he is more likely to create a giveaway than the spectaluar play he envisions.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.