HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Erik Estrada

vCash: 500
Think John Leclair in front of the net in 93. Not a pretty hockey player like Guy Lafleur, but effective at scoring goals.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
BobBobrovsky*

I guess the OP never saw Vanek in Buffalo. Dude has great hands. Makes scoring goals look easy. Nice change for our team. Sign him!

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Sentinels

Vanek didn't even play much in the 3rd since we were on the PK for most of the period.

Sentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Anyone that was expecting Vanek to dominate doesn't know how he plays. He's a slow-skating, somewhat lazy, opportunist with really good hands and vision. He'll appear to be hot and cold when viewing his stats, but he pretty much plays with the same effort level each game..sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.
Sounds like me playing in the local rec league, lol

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Ihatekessel

Vanek is an offensive hockey player, has a feel for the game, soft hands, quick release, great eye/hand coordination, sees the whole ice etc. etc.

Some here just wanna complain, complain complain. Yada Yada Yada.

Maybe we shouldn't have made the trade? Coulda plugged Bork in our top 6? Who needs a goal scorer anyways? Not Us!

Give UR head a shake, people!

Ihatekessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
evilstanley

noone ever said Vanek was a dominant force.

He is a rogue game breaker. He has the offensive flair and skill to leap on a scoring chance or make a threatening play. He is definately a flashfire player, even on a scoring streak.

by definition a 'dominant' player is one who dictates the pace of a game. Vanek is not this player, although his offensive input can change the pace of said game. Also, a 'dominant' player wouldn't content himself with such poor defensive play.

Arguably one of the East's most dangerous players in the O zone, ill give him that.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:10 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

While I wouldn’t call Vanek an amazing hockey player, he’s so unbelievably good in front of the opposing team’s net, it’s ridiculous. Once him and Desharnais work out a bit more chemistry, the rewards could be substantial. Not to mention the fact that our defencemen have so much more time with the puck when he’s in front of the net, such a great distraction.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
HABS win CUPS*

His talent is level is unreal look at how fast he just slots into a new lineup and starts scoring - very impressive

I'm starting to think that we should really offer him some major cash to stay

Last edited by HABS win CUPS*: 03-25-2014 at 02:32 PM.
HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Bacchus1

He's still finding his chemistry on his line. I think that soon both him and Patches will start lighting it up.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
He's still finding his chemistry on his line. I think that soon both him and Patches will start lighting it up.
They're actually scoring more than they deserve. They're hemmed in their zone more often than not and usually giving up many shots and chances against. The experiment with Vanek at RW has to die sometime soon.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
His offensive instincts are off the charts. He's exceeded my expectations.

I watch the game differently from most here. He's been dangerous almost every shift.
In what way do you watch the game differently?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
never expected him to be a dominant force

i expected him to chip in some goals for a push for the playoffs and then would like to see him score some more in the playoffs to help a potential cup run

thats what i expected when we traded him for relatively cheap, i did not expect him to be here the next 7 years

so far so good, he plays exactly like i thought he would, nobody said he was an explosive skater who can score 50, it was always : knows how to find his way in the slot and can potentialy score 40

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:32 PM
hockeyjockey

lol, dominant force? He isn't a Crosby or Malkin type player. What he is a player with above average offensive skill set that has a super quick release, great hand eye coordination and net presence.

Unfortunately, in today's NHL, that is worth 7M

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Go Habs Go

Vanek scores in bunches, hes doing exactly what he has always done.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:55 PM
tinyzombies

He just beat the Avs and tonight the Sabres with that pass. I'm fine with him. Sign him up. Love the playmaking and scoring combo at 217 pounds. That's the way to win a Cup, not with smurfs.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I'm pretty sure he's teaching Pacioretty things about offense, he's been making a lot more crafty plays and both seem to be developing chemistry.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
FazChenyuk

He played ok today expected more but he created plays. By watching the replay, looks like pacioretty didnt even touch the puck it touched the sabres d so it would have been a 5th goal in habs uniform. Like I said he could be invisble all game and just take a snapper or make a play and boom.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:54 AM
SB164

I've been really impressed by his passing skills actually.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:05 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm pretty sure he's teaching Pacioretty things about offense, he's been making a lot more crafty plays and both seem to be developing chemistry.
Pacioretty already had 30 goals before Vanek came. Not sure what Vanek can teach Patch... now that he has someone else who can score on his line, he is picking up some assists (especially that gorgeous pass on Vanek's goal vs Columbus).

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:00 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I've been really impressed by his passing skills actually.
fantastic passer. he's not a gallagher compete wise but i still love his game. it's a style of game that shouldn't deteriorate much with age.

i think the team's still getting used to his skill set. you'll probably see PK, Markov, Emelin start to feed him more tips. They're not used to a player like that.

i think he'll only get better as the year dwindles down. if that's the case then sign him sign him sign him.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:08 AM
MrRuin

Vanek has always been an excellent passer. Part of the reason why he was rarely recognized for his passing ability was that he never played with many players who could put his feeds into the net, simple as that. With the Islanders and Tavares this became very obvious since there was suddenly another high quality scorer on his line. His career numbers do reflect this also, he has almost the exact same amount of goals and assists to his name.

Vanek needs time to adjust to linemates and his linemates need time to adjust to his style of play which is very distinguished. He likes to slow down the game, pull up just past the blue line and feed passes in the slot or work down low behind the goal and get pucks in front. He has very good awareness of where players are on the ice to feed them the puck which is part of the reason that makes him an excellent playmaker. Still, this process needs time to fully develop. It took Vanek several week to get going with Tavares and Okposo but when they were on they were the best line in the whole league.

Vanek works best with another player able to put Pucks in the net and someone who is doing the extra work in the corners and on defense. And one common misconception about him - maybe even one of his biggest flaws in his recent (2-3 years) game - is that he has become a pass first guy and is NOT a shoot first guy anymore. This makes him sometimes play way too fancy.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Jacques Trap*

Vanek is a player who for the most part is noticed only when he scores a goal. He can very easily slip under (a fan or viewers) radar otherwise.

Jacques Trap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:42 AM
slovakia18
English? I can't.

Don't Panic..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-...48544035265643

Topic:
Vanek is a great Playmaker and he can to stage his Teammates for scoring chances.
I hope Vanek resign here, Montreal fans love him and this is a epic franchise.

slovakia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:21 AM
macavoy

I was never one who wanted Vanek here because I thought he was over rated and going to be over priced. But we got him for so cheap, that I liked the deal but I felt everyone was over rating him. I still think they do or did.

But I have to say this, he has changed the makeup of this team. Having another Pacioretty calibre top 6 forward has really changed the dynamics of this team. Having Gionta play some time on the 3rd line has improved his productivity. Having an extra legit scoring threat as opposed to Gallagher makes DD & Patches a true first line.

I'd be open to resigning him to a 6-7 year deal at $7m a year. I don't really want that 7th year and either way, I'd want the deal front loaded so that his contract is tradeable in the final 2 years. But I suspect there will be a team that will offer him $8m+ over the max. This year's UFA crop is pretty bad.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:56 AM
BRAD HABSFAN

There is something you miss at times watching on TV but at a game you can not miss--when the puck is in the offensive zone Vanek sets his butt right in front of the crease and takes abuse. We have not had a guy with a scorers touch taller then Gallagher willing to do that in at least 20 years. Guy is a beast and I am willing to pay for that. Pacs, Chucky, and Vanek will put up points for us. 2 legit goals scorers and a potential star on our team..

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote