HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander

Old
02-24-2007, 06:01 AM
blueliner94

vCash: 500
Nylander

Do you think he can get a 1st round pick and a decent prospect? Most teams are looking for a 2nd line center . His points are up there any thoughts?

blueliner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

The Rangers need a second line center also, so IMO trading him just to aquire prospects is going to do more harm than good. It could possibly do more good for the long run, but while the Rangers managment believe are in the playoff hunt, I dont think they would do a move like this. Then again this organization has never ceased to amaze before. But as for the question, I dont think he would get a 1st rounder personally, ofcourse I could be wrong but I dont see many teams out there who are willing to give up youth for older vets, that is unless that team is the NYR

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
The Rangers need a second line center also, so IMO trading him just to aquire prospects is going to do more harm than good. It could possibly do more good for the long run, but while the Rangers managment believe are in the playoff hunt, I dont think they would do a move like this. Then again this organization has never ceased to amaze before. But as for the question, I dont think he would get a 1st rounder personally, ofcourse I could be wrong but I dont see many teams out there who are willing to give up youth for older vets, that is unless that team is the NYR

A play-making center on pace for 85 points? Yeah, I think he'll get at least a #1. A team like Atlanta would easily give up a #1.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
A play-making center on pace for 85 points? Yeah, I think he'll get at least a #1. A team like Atlanta would easily give up a #1.
You could be right, just stating my opinion

Old
02-24-2007, 07:29 AM
johnny_rudeboy

What are Nylanders stats come play off time?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:42 AM
gaglinefan

Nylander

Who takes his place? We are a center challenged team anyway. He has skill and can turn a game handling the puck. I know, I know, we could be on the way out of the playoffs anyway (don't tell Rangers tho, first round money was sent lol). I think it is in the best interest of the organization to be as competitive as possible and bring along our younger players into a culture of winning (as much as we can).

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Chimp

Selling our only true center? We need centers ourselves, we're not selling them.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:07 AM
SML

It would be real tough for this team to deal Nylander and not admit they have given up on the season. I wouldn't be crushed, IMO, this team really should be broken down and started from scratch. We have some serious young talent on Defense and in Goal in our system. Unfortunately, by the time that talent gets to the NHL level, almost all of our current scoring forwards will be well past their prime if they're even still playing. As people have pointed out in various threads though, first round picks are only as good as the scouting work you've done and the players you select with them. If we're dealing our only real true center and not getting a replacement, only to receive a draft pick we're going to waste, then we may as well keep him. The other thing is that dealing a guy like Nylander helps the team you trade him to so the pick becomes a depreciating asset, as the better they play the lower the pick becomes.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:35 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I would trade him and I would want a 1st rounder and a prospect for him. There areplenty of UFA centerman coming on the market. All will be at least 5 years younger, briere, Drury, Gomez, etc and their price will not be that much more than what Nylander's option would be.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:45 AM
eco's bones

Trading Nylander would be a blow to playoff hopes this year. That being said--a legit 2nd line center--1st liner as a passer with a team option for one more year would definitely be worth a 1st rounder +. A team like Atlanta looking for someone to feed Kovalchuk--he's what the doctor ordered. As for the option if the Rangers have made a decision on not using it--it would be stupid of them not to deal him. I'm not sure here whether the Rangers might want to go after some more legitimate and/or younger 1st line center such as a Jokinen during the off season. Saving some money on Nylander's contract to use to attract such a player and at the same time picking up an extra 1st rounder and whatever else might prove to be of great benefit to the team in the near future and in the long run. If it were up to me and I could calculate that first rounder being in the top 20 I think I'd do it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:26 AM
DarthSather99

Trading Nylander would definetly be a sign of us giving up the season but it will enable us to bring up some of our kids (along with trading others). Isn't that what people have been clamoring for all season.

I remember us making a nice run once we purged our roster a few years ago. It also propelled us to an amazing season the following year, with the young guys. We have far and away so many more good players now than then.

We are a long shot to get the #8 spot right now. What are our chances of starting the playoffs playing against Buffalo/Devils the first round?

I think we can definetly get a first rounder + for Nylander. Remember the team that would trade the first rounder would be a bottom of the draft first rounder. We could end up with two players like Van Riemsdyk and Backlund with our pick and a traded pick.

Last edited by DarthSather99: 02-24-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add content
DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Whats Nylanders contract situation again? Player option next year?

If so he could be traded and resigned in the summer?

If we were dunzo....

Nylander straight up to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan

02-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Fletch

A #1?...

perhaps, for the right team. He's not going to make good players great, but great players would remain great with him. jas' example of Atlanta is perfect, as Nylander would need a Hossa or a Kovalchuk to remain on pace for 85 goals.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

If we were dunzo....

You know it is a bug in EHM -07 that make Ryan such an easy target to get...

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Gamma82

Nylander is replaceable. The guy drives me nuts, he handles the puck as well as anybody in the league, but he never shoots.

Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:49 AM
AXN

Nylander has been a lot better than I thought he would be. Rangers would be fools to trade him. Unless they get Tkachuk back in return. He is a good top two line center.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:52 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma82 View Post
Nylander is replaceable. The guy drives me nuts, he handles the puck as well as anybody in the league, but he never shoots.
Very true, this guy is capable of putting 1 or even 2 in the net every single day if he only just wasn't trying so damn hard to get an assist. I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence or he's just very, very altruistic. I hope he starts shooting before it's too damn late

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

If we were dunzo....

Please no Ryan. There's a reason he's included in almost every rumour from the ANA side. To me, he looks more like Brendl than Jagr. If you want a Parise type, go after Little from Atlanta. Bourret is more feasible though.

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 02-24-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:59 AM
chosen

I seriously doubt Nylander could get a late 1st round pick and no way he fetches a top 10 pick.

As long as Jagr is here Nylander will probably be here too.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:14 AM
blueliner94

I was posting with the intention that we are sellers here. As much as I would love to see this team in the playoffs I think 7 out of 10 of us here know how far they will go. With what people are saying about a deep draft this year. Giving our bad history of drafting maybe having two number 1's is a sure way to pick up a number 2 center for the future or trade up in the draft. Don't get me wrong im kinda torn here. I love watching this team work hard and win games but the amount of games they have done that had been slim.

I just feel we have a great number two center who will be UFA , we could get a a very nice return. If sather has class he talks it over with the boys with intention of picking him back up not like the Leetch deal. And if not there are some very nice UFA also we could pick up. Not sayinf sell sell sell but one player wont be a tear down here.

blueliner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Tact

What about this trade?

To VAN: Michael Nylander
To NYR: Marc Chouinard and 1st Round Pick in 07

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma82 View Post
He has fired 2 shots less than Straka this season. I never hear you guys complain that Straka never shoots. Cullen has fired 156 shots and scored almost half as much as Nylander, but I guess efficiency isn't worth as much as bombarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
What about this trade?

To VAN: Michael Nylander
To NYR: Marc Chouinard and 1st Round Pick in 07
As it would be a really crappy draft pick - Vancouver is high in the standings - I wouldn't. But most of the guys in this thread would probably sell their mother for a 1st rounder. "It's youth!"

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
"It's youth!"
Youth wins hockey games

Old
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
frozenrubber

Atlanta

First of all, one does have to echo the notion that the team is giving up on the season if Nylander is traded. However, this could be minimized. Barring a full purge (which we will not see), many teams will move UFAs but resign others who remain their core. We saw Straka given an extension. While moving Michael would strip talent, it wouldn't necessarily leave the team for dead. But where they sit currently in the standings, regardless of talent, have a VERY uphill road.

The problem lies here: who fills the #1/#2 Centerman slot next year. It is completely unreasonable to try to fill both holes via free agency. As evidenced by last summer, even if the Rangers have the greatest interest in a player, 29 other teams can now field equally lucrative contracts. As it stands in my eyes, the Rangers need Nylander for 1 more year.

But much like the St. Louis/Boston situation, Nylander should be handled like Brewer/Stuart. If a contract extension can be worked out by the deadline, then move him.

In regards to the return, I would think or hope the Rangers have very little interest in draft picks at this stage. They are wonderful in certain circumstances, but this is where you start plucking kids you want.

As brought up many times in this thread, Atlanta is a perfect fit. Not only does he epitome the type of player needed, but Don Waddell will pay an excessive price. His job is on the line and we have the player he actually needs, not a stopgap. No he will not move a Coburn or roster player, but Bryan Little does not seem out of range, maybe with a throw in of Valabik (while he hasn't lived up to billing, how many HF posters were salivating for that monster). No interest in Bourret, however.

Any reference to trading him and resigning him in the offseason are ludicrous. Nylander is a amiable guy and from all accounts likes NY, but he likes being a situation where he succeeds. He'll do just as well in Atlanta.

So am I the only wishing we lose to the Blue Jackets tonight to help Maloney/Sather see the writing on the wall?

Last edited by frozenrubber: 02-24-2007 at 01:03 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He has fired 2 shots less than Straka this season. I never hear you guys complain that Straka never shoots.
True but Nylander doesnt shoot from more high percentage areas imo. Seems that way to me at least

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote