HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Angelo Esposito, opinions?

Old
02-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Bjindaho

vCash: 500
Espo already posts meaningless points.
And he has shown no indications that he will ever be willing to commit to defense.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:33 AM
sniperfan

and speaking of the devil, he scored some very nice goals against drummondville last night.

http://www.remparts.qc.ca/videos/20070223.wmv

sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Agreed. He is nowhere even close to Lecavalier's skillset. Lecavalier today is way better than Espo's upside. Way, way better.
Maybe part of the problem is Esposito has been coddled. Perhaps Patrick Roy isn't the best coach for him. Lecavalier became a much better player because of Tortorella being an ogre with him. Perhaps this is what Espo needs to whip him into shape. There's no denying he's got skill.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Not racist. Xenophobic, possibly.

Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners. It would be considered an ethnic slur to disparage someone of Italian descent. Oh yeah, and ethnic slurs are just as bad as a racist remark, even though they are often confused and treated as synonymous. To boot, they are frowned upon by the mods and most people. Although I'm not passing judgment on the post by DanyHeatley#1 fan.

Last edited by Ryan Van Horne: 02-24-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Wow, I feel like I read this exact post last year as it related to Phil Kessel. Nothing like a little over-analysis to drop a guy down the charts. I'm not saying be doesn't deserve to drop a bit based on the play of Kane and others and some of the things he needs to obviously work on, but some of the comments are pretty extreme. It's a common theme in each draft year though, the guy who was projected #1 going into the draft year, slowly gets dropped because in some ways, he is held to a higher standard. While Kessel didn't drop too far (the 4th forward taken), in 1995 Petr Sykora dropped to 18th after being projected 1st overall because teams felt his adaptation to the pro game wasn't much in his draft year v a year earlier. His development stagnated it was said. Steve Kelly, Terry Ryan, Teemu Riihijarvi, Brad Church, Radek Dvorak and Chad Kilger are just a few of the forwards that were taken ahead of him. Sykora shouldn't have been #1, but he definitely belonged in the top 10.

In terms of production, I don't think anyone should be surprised it has dropped while not playing with Radulov anymore. He is still producing while getting more attention defensively. If I were sitting in the 5-8 spot, I'd be quite pleased to see Esposito drop to my slot given his upside. I like Couture quite a bit and see him as a safe top 6 forward, but he doesn't have the upside of Esposito if you ask me. Even Gagner I'd have trouble taking ahead of Angelo at this point, although you could go either way without it being a bad pick. I haven't seen VRK, but Kane and Cherapanov seem like the top 2 forwards at this point, then you've got 5 or 6 guys all in the same bracket. Esposito certainly belongs in that mix if you ask me.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
VOB

My concerns about Esposito started last season and have been deepend this year. He is a perimeter player who has no fire in his belly and still doesn't know what the end of his rink looks like. I would not pick him in the top 10.

Yes, people were indeed concerned with Kessel last year, not that he wouldn't develop into a good player but rather that some in his draft class were better than him...and those people were more or less proved right.

Kessel though is a much better player than Esposito and will have a much more productive pro career.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote