HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov want to stay !

Old
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Then Gainey should get off his hiney and sign him now. Alot can happen between now and July to make him sour on the situation in Montreal, so why wait?
From what I understand any extension signed has to fit under the salary cap this year. We obviously have no cap room to sign anyone even if they wanted to.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Habitants

great news!
i kinda got that feeling when he was working on his canaidan citizenship..

the article says "experts beleive he could get at least 4 mil" it does not say "i would take 4 mil" so dont get your hopes up...
imo he should get a kaberle type contract, 5-6 year 4.2 range

sign him to 6 yr 26mill deal ~4.3/yr

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Did any of you took time to read the article?

Quote:
Joint au téléphone par La Presse, l'agent du joueur russe, Don Meehan, a admis que son client se plaît à Montréal. «Il est très heureux avec le Canadien, a dit M. Meehan. Et il a toujours été très heureux à Montréal. Mais je n'ai pas encore discuté avec Andrei à propos d'un nouveau contrat. Nous allons attendre la fin de la présente saison avant de s'asseoir ensemble pour discuter.»

Quant à savoir si le Canadien allait être le premier choix de Markov au terme de la saison, Don Meehan s'est montré évasif. «Ça va dépendre de l'offre qu'ils vont lui faire, a-t-il répondu. On verra. Je n'ai pas encore parlé de la situation avec Bob Gainey.»
''He's verry happy with the club'' said Meehan. ''He's always been very happy in Montreal but i didn't talk to him yet about a new contract. We gonna wait the end of the season to sit together and talk about it''

When asked if the Canadiens would be Markov's 1st choice, Meehan was evasive ''It depend the offer they will make. We will see. I didn't talk about that situation with Bob Gainey.''

--
So Meehan didn't talk to Andrei or Bob. The only thing concrete was his PR move saying Andrei loves the city and he's happy with the team.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:09 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
The guy in your avatar is +6 and Dandenault is Even
Well I meant one of our best defencemen in +/- he was tie with Komi last week at +3 I think and well Even isnt in +.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
When the contract is signed I will buy a Markov jersey.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
The guy in your avatar is +6 and Dandenault is Even
Well usually, when a d-man gets a +1, his pairing d-man gets one too.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:20 AM
eddy

For what Markov brings to this team what he's asking sounds very resonable to me. Sign em' asap.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
For what Markov brings to this team what he's asking sounds very resonable to me. Sign em' asap.
Lol, I love it when people don't read the articles but comment on them.

Markov didn't say a word in that article, it's all mainly speculation from his agent. Saying that Markov is happy to play in montreal and has always been happy here and that he will re-sign here if he feels the offer is good.

That's all speculation though, cuz he mentions that he hasn't spoken with Gainey/Markov as of yet.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:30 AM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Lol, I love it when people don't read the articles but comment on them.

Markov didn't say a word in that article, it's all mainly speculation from his agent. Saying that Markov is happy to play in montreal and has always been happy here and that he will re-sign here if he feels the offer is good.

That's all speculation though, cuz he mentions that he hasn't spoken with Gainey/Markov as of yet.
Unfortunetly I can't read french... but if you would like to translate it for me that would be great

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
From what I understand any extension signed has to fit under the salary cap this year. We obviously have no cap room to sign anyone even if they wanted to.
after dec 31 for a UFA you can sign a contract and it doesn't affect the salary cap this year.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
milou

Bravo !

That said , a lot of players pretend that they want to resign with the same team, and than ...

The good thing with Markov is that he's so shy that it could play for us , because he knows all the players here , and i don't see him enjoy the idea of starting everything with another team .

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:16 PM
brownman*

10 year/$45 million

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
after dec 31 for a UFA you can sign a contract and it doesn't affect the salary cap this year.
I've read otherwise.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=261641

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Open your ****ing eyes, Markov is BY FAR our MVP and BY FAR our best player.
Thats not saying much.

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Duff88

But Michel Bergeron said it himself, Markov has no hockey sense!

I'd be ready to sign him up to 5.5 if it's what we need to keep him here. The comment on his five goals is pretty ridiculous when considering how much he brings to the table.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
JFB

Can't believe I see some posters suggesting a 6 year contract. Haven't we learned our lesson ?

Give him 3 years MAXIMUM. If he's still good, then re-sign him 3 years later.

And don't forget the trade value... You can't trade a guy with a long-term contract, while pending UFA's are worth 1st round picks these days...

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
marvelousmotion

Gainey's philosophy:

- Give one-year contracts to a lot of players (Ryder, Higgins etc..)
- Do not sign pending UFAs until the season's end

Why? Players tend to give more effort when they are playing their last year of a contract.

Is it effective though?

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

How will his stats look like without Souray???? Understand the defensive part of his but aren't we overrating his offensive skills???

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Can't believe I see some posters suggesting a 6 year contract. Haven't we learned our lesson ?

Give him 3 years MAXIMUM. If he's still good, then re-sign him 3 years later.

And don't forget the trade value... You can't trade a guy with a long-term contract, while pending UFA's are worth 1st round picks these days...
In the cap world it makes sense to sign a player like Markov to a long-term deal. We know that he'll only keep getting better and if we sign him for 3 years at 5m (say) then we might have to offer him 7m after those 3 seasons. I'd like to see Markov get locked up for 5+ years, I can't say the same for Souray.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:03 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How will his stats look like without Souray???? Understand the defensive part of his but aren't we overrating his offensive skills???
They would go up IMO... He's standing passive trying to setup Souray all night long.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Reuben

Um he's doesn't play with Souray for starters, only on the PP and Markov is the one making tape to tape passes so SOuray can unload his bomb on the pp

Signing anyone over 25 to a 10 years contract is just plain silly.

3 years 13.5 hopefully could get it done for Markov

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think Streit will eventually be at the same level of Markov defensively, and better offensively (call me crazy, just a hunch). Is Markov overrated? Maybe a tad by some of our fans, but he's still the best dman we have in many aspects of the game.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
JFB

Quote:
In the cap world it makes sense to sign a player like Markov to a long-term deal. We know that he'll only keep getting better and if we sign him for 3 years at 5m (say) then we might have to offer him 7m after those 3 seasons. I'd like to see Markov get locked up for 5+ years, I can't say the same for Souray.
Come on... What if Markov becomes a Brisebois ?

I don't like the risks of long-term contracts. And IF he's really worth 7m in 3 years, then be it. I can live with that risk.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I think Streit will eventually be at the same level of Markov defensively, and better offensively (call me crazy, just a hunch). Is Markov overrated? Maybe a tad by some of our fans, but he's still the best dman we have in many aspects of the game.
Totally acknowledge that he has great hockey sense, practically unbeatable 1 on 1, and a great passer. But I'm a little concern by his production not on PP. Obviously it's a problem that all the team has but I still think the 5 on 5 will be better when d-men will pinch from time to time and when they'll be able to make great first passes. And while Markov is a great passer, I find him to be a little non-proactive. He needs to take control of the game with the talent he has, he would able to do it.

But then do we overrate it 'cause we compare with the others we have? Obviously he becomes indispensable 'cause looking at the rest of the squad, who will make a great first pass if not him???

'Cause as far as pinching is concerned, I'm amazed to see how Streit do it great but how Markov doesn't do it more often.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
3 years 13.5 hopefully could get it done for Markov
That would be perfect

However i predict that he will get at least 5 considering that Brewer got 4.2 (rumored) and that Markov is a notch above him imho.It would also be wise to sign him before July 1st because i fear that there may be a bidding war for him if he become UFA.This is certainly something that we don't want to happen.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote