HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Choosing Custom Skates

Old
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
jphillips348
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Choosing Custom Skates

First time on ice in forever, but now that I'm an adult apparently no retail skates fit me. And yes, I've tried them. I will be getting fitted for custom skates probably next week. Stuck at a choice between APX2 and MX3 totalone. Make your case!

jphillips348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:00 PM
gosinger

Vapor and Supreme line feature a different fit, so get whatever fits - I don't think you can make up for the different last shape even with the width/heel options you get for customs.

You can get almost any feature of one skate at the other when going custom, be it comfort edge, lacing system, tongues, toe-cap, and so on. So go to a trusted fitter, trust their judgement, and get what they would recommend.

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:26 AM
jphillips348
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
Vapor and Supreme line feature a different fit, so get whatever fits - I don't think you can make up for the different last shape even with the width/heel options you get for customs.

You can get almost any feature of one skate at the other when going custom, be it comfort edge, lacing system, tongues, toe-cap, and so on. So go to a trusted fitter, trust their judgement, and get what they would recommend.
From what I understand, they do width, length,toe cap, heel width, arch length and they change the new eyelet system to the regular eyelets and stitch in whatever height needed for depth for my instep. Only thing I guess will really vary will be the pitch... I hear the way the hell sits on the t1 is kind of a reverse pitch, against the apx which is fairly aggresively forward... having never skated on anything that was much past neutral I'm not really sure how to compare how they would feel. I wonder if the t1 could overcome the negative pitch with something as simple as heel lifts on the runner or if its actually the shape of the boot? I guess that's something I'll need to talk about when I get fitted. Good call.

Old
03-26-2014, 01:46 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

VH Footwear.

Look em up. Almost the entire Winnipeg Jets team now uses them (based in Winnipeg).

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:08 AM
jphillips348
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
VH Footwear.

Look em up. Almost the entire Winnipeg Jets team now uses them (based in Winnipeg).
Seeing a lot of people mentioning that on the forums... But not finding a lot of comprehensive or long term reviews. The reviews and forum posts I have seen, seem more marketing than actually feedback lol. You have any links to more in depth stuff on them?

Jets not exactly being a selling point

Old
03-26-2014, 04:40 AM
jphillips348
Rookie User

Found a 20 page thread on modsquad about these... Seems like an amazing product out of the box... Pictures a guy put up after 4 months of wear looked a bit troubling.

Old
03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips348 View Post
Found a 20 page thread on modsquad about these... Seems like an amazing product out of the box... Pictures a guy put up after 4 months of wear looked a bit troubling.
I think the post that I just added to that thread with pictures of the updated stitching should put your mind at ease. MAKO owners had to wait for the MAKO 2 to get a revised skate that addresses the issues of the original MAKO. Scott Van Horne can instantly revise his hand made skate as issues occur, albeit minor cosmetic ones so far.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:51 AM
jphillips348
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I think the post that I just added to that thread with pictures of the updated stitching should put your mind at ease. MAKO owners had to wait for the MAKO 2 to get a revised skate that addresses the issues of the original MAKO. Scott Van Horne can instantly revise his hand made skate as issues occur, albeit minor cosmetic ones so far.
Yeah I looked at those pictures at 4 something in the morning I think... I went back after you mentioned the runners and see he's playing at a whole different level than I will be playing pick up games / beer league with a bunch of firemen. Those things look like they went through a sharknado. lol... and read more closely that he's on them about 25 hours a week. I'll probably be closer to 25 hours bi-monthly. Thanks for the input. Appreciate it