HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Milan Jurcina

Old
02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
What would you think if the Caps went with Erskine, Eminger, Pothier, Morrisonn, Green, Schultz (or some other Hershey kid), and Jurcina as their defensive corps next season (plus a depth guy stashed in Hershey - Finley might be in Hershey next season) --- taking the money that they would have spent on that so called number one defensemen and use it to bring in a play making center for the second line (with Fehr/Semin as the wingers)?

I have this little niggling feeling that's what may happen.
My sense is that GMGM will exhaust the trade route pretty early on in the off-season (pre-July 1). If that falls through, then I could see a modest free agent signing (along the lines of a Preissing at $3-3.5 / year).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So Tarik is a NHL talent evalulator now?

Nice.

Why can't he just report the god damn news?
When I hear comments like this from a reporter I assume he's regurgitating what he's heard from coaches/GM, etc...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar View Post
I take issue with 2 things there.

From everything I've read, it wasn't a matter of Jurcina not cracking the lineup in Boston, it was a matter of Lewis did not want him on the ice. Lewis was coaching with a veteran bias and would rather have a more dependable 3rd pairing than go through Jurcina's growing pains.
Yeah, the only conclusion you should draw from Jurcina's playing time in Boston is that Dave Lewis missed the boat on this one. (I'm being generous...I've been very disappointed with Lewis.)

On top of that, Jurcina's growing pains weren't nearly as bad as York's, what, old age(?) pains!

We shall see...

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I don't think there is much question that the reality of things is that the Caps have a problem on defense.

Jurcina only highlights the problems. He can't get in the lineup on a losing Bruins team and after a few games is leading the Caps in ice time. I am not sure what that means though, since Nycolat lead the Caps in ice time for several games before losing his spot in the lineup.

Morrisonn and Jurcina played well together in their pre Caps days and they bring a little something. But lets be fair...its just a little something.

The Caps #2 young defenseman, Eminger, was just scratched. Their #3 young defenseman, was sent to the AHL. Their #4 looks good and steady, but so have the #2 and #3 young D for stretches before going off the rails.

The rest is....
Erskine: a healthy scratch with previous teams.
Heward: Marginal and scratched pre Caps
Muir: Marginal and scratched pre Caps
Pothier: 3rd pair pre Caps.

Now Jurcina a regular healthy scratch pre Caps.

Its scary to consider that Pothier and Morrisonn are the only Caps defensemen to be neither scratched nor sent to the minor leagues this season.

Frankly, make whatever reason you wish, that Eminger was scratched and Green sent to Hershey is not a sign of good growth in progress. Jurcina was traded for lack of growth. Erskine let walk for not cracking the lineup.

You can make a case that the rebuild is regressing in this area and the defense looks like an expansion team.
I think someone has been saying this and then suddenly.... BAM!...Eminger scratched and Green demoted.

Jurcina looking good is a product of the Trap and Small fish in a microspcopic fish pond.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
What would you think if the Caps went with Erskine, Eminger, Pothier, Morrisonn, Green, Schultz (or some other Hershey kid), and Jurcina as their defensive corps next season (plus a depth guy stashed in Hershey - Finley might be in Hershey next season) --- taking the money that they would have spent on that so called number one defensemen and use it to bring in a play making center for the second line (with Fehr/Semin as the wingers)?

I have this little niggling feeling that's what may happen.

There is a good chance that is our D next year, less Eminger perhaps. Jurcina playing well may have made them think twice about any planned big move. I would hope that we would spend some of that saved money to help the team up front, but I am starting remember that we are only in the middle of rebuilding ahem saving money, and we only accumulate second pair types anyways. I suspect there is/was no intention of paying for a high ticket number one D. I think our plan is to expect Backstrom to fill that void up front, Green Sarge et al on the blueline and continue to save money/accumulate good young players into next season.

Off topic I am hoping GM saw Heward's play last night and we realized we would be fools to trade Eminger.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
There is a good chance that is our D next year, less Eminger perhaps. Jurcina playing well may have made them think twice about any planned big move. I would hope that we would spend some of that saved money to help the team up front, but I am starting remember that we are only in the middle of rebuilding ahem saving money, and we only accumulate second pair types anyways. I suspect there is/was no intention of paying for a high ticket number one D. I think our plan is to expect Backstrom to fill that void up front, Green Sarge et al on the blueline and continue to save money/accumulate good young players into next season.

Off topic I am hoping GM saw Heward's play last night and we realized we would be fools to trade Eminger.
I could see us trade Eminger....as long as we add something to it and get back a better d-man

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24 View Post
I think someone has been saying this and then suddenly.... BAM!...Eminger scratched and Green demoted.

Jurcina looking good is a product of the Trap and Small fish in a microspcopic fish pond.
You lose ALL your cred by hammering the whole physical defenseman angle. You opinion is that these players are not good enough because they are not physical.
Erskine is physical and a scrub. Green is highly skilled but not producing the offense that is required of him. Eminger is just plain too erratic.

Schultz is playing pretty well and he doesn't hurt anyone and thats just fine.

Personally, I am worried about the defense. Worried that Green was pushed and has a confidence issue. Eminger's confidence was crushed by Cassidy and has never recovered.

What the Capitals lack that they need is quality experience on defense. They need experienced players on D far more than they need physical players. IMO, Morrisonn, Green, Eminger, & Schultz are all quality defensemen on a good NHL team. What they are not is the backbone of a defense of a good NHL team. Lean on them and you get what happened to Pitkanen in Philly. Regression.

These players will learn and grow their confidence if they have a chance to succede. They don't when all there is out there with them is another rookie or a scrub.

Just picking two names out of the air as examples....
This is a winning team defense:

Hannan-Green
Schultz-Kenny Jonsson
Pothier-Morrisonn

Trade Jurcina and trade Eminger and trade the first round pick and get two quality and established 20:00 defensemen to provide stability for the young defensemen.
Whether they hit or not.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Im not worried about the D in terms of long term outlook. They will be fine as long as Mafki adds the right peice to go with the young guys. A solid, minute eating, stablizing, experienced, force back there that can step in and provide some leadership and swagger on the blue line.

Morrisonn, Green, Pothier, Jurcina, and Eminger/Schultz make for a decent group...they just need that number one guy to pull it all together.

Who that will be...no idea.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

An older, established guy who might be dealt to make way for youngins in Nashville at some point could be Marek Zidlicky.

He's making 3,200,000 next year, and 3,500,000 in each of 2008-09 and 2009-10. I might target him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:57 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Unless Eminger is part of a package to bring a legit #1 center or top pair NHL-ready defenseman, I don't see the wisdom of trading him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
I'd say we're going to be as bad next year if that is the case, although the thought of Heward gone does make me a little giddy. There's a decent crop of UFA Dmen that will be available this year, we HAVE to bring in alteast one.
Then who isn't a Cap next season?

Last edited by HockeyCritter: 02-20-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Combined posts
HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
alexovetjkin

Quote:
The thing he got criticized the most for was not using his size enough: i.e. hitting.
I don't know how could Lewis, former d-man himself, let Jurcina go. The only answer is with Chara nobody looks good enough.

That check on Malkin was incredible. I don't think even Chara could do a better job.

alexovetjkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexovetjkin View Post
I don't know how could Lewis, former d-man himself, let Jurcina go. The only answer is with Chara nobody looks good enough.

That check on Malkin was incredible. I don't think even Chara could do a better job.
That was such a bogus call. I'll take that penalty every time though. Awesome awesome hit, I can;t recall Malkin trying to go inside on Jurcina again that game. Unfortunately, he had that great shot from the boards...

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:58 AM
DefenseDotCom

Milan Jurcina, in my view, had his worst game yet as a Cap - he let a Shark get around him, babied a clear, iced an outlet pass, etc. Still, MJ played 23+ minutes and was +1 for the night. In 9 Cap games, his lowest TOI was 20:23 for that first Pens game, and his top TOI is 28:55. Four road games against speedy, skilled offensive teams (MTL, Pens, Bolts). MJ and Mo mesh splendidly. MJ is big, has decent mobility, likes to hit and makes good outlets. My enthusiasm is getting more difficult to temper. Maybe this post will jinx him against NJ on the road.

DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:09 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseDotCom View Post
Milan Jurcina, in my view, had his worst game yet as a Cap - he let a Shark get around him, babied a clear, iced an outlet pass, etc. Still, MJ played 23+ minutes and was +1 for the night. In 9 Cap games, his lowest TOI was 20:23 for that first Pens game, and his top TOI is 28:55. Four road games against speedy, skilled offensive teams (MTL, Pens, Bolts). MJ and Mo mesh splendidly. MJ is big, has decent mobility, likes to hit and makes good outlets. My enthusiasm is getting more difficult to temper. Maybe this post will jinx him against NJ on the road.
That's what I'm really really excited about right now. Having Jurcina allows us to split up our best two defensemen: Mo and Pothier. That makes for a more balanced defensive squad and somewhat covers for the fact that we don't have a real #1.

I think 1 more game makes 10...at which point we're allowed to be excited about Jurcina.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I'm pleasantly surprised by Jurcina. Thought he played pretty overall since he has been here.

02-23-2007, 10:53 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseDotCom View Post
Don't forget chasing a man behind the net on the penalty kill (and one without the damn puck!) which led directly to the Sharks PP goal. He left Mo alone in front of the net and Gordon could drop in time to take away the tip-in. I was very disappointed in that play. However, I'll take those growing pains in order to get everything else he brings. I hope he learns.

I don't see how you can be a Dman all your life and still chase a man behind the net on the PK.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

I miss Jurcina and am glad he's on the Caps. Makes watching my other boy Morrissonn as well as Ovechkin even more enjoyable. Milan and Shaone were great together in Providence, and it disappointed me to see Shaone be traded after playing so well for the Bruins. You have two gems there, appreciate them.

I despise Lewis for a lot of things, and the way he handled Jurcina was one of them. The kid had a decent season last year and for some reason Lewis shoved him aside this season for the likes of Dempsey and York. Once Dempsey was waived, York still played over Jurcina while the kid either sat on the bench or was in the press box. Sure, he made his mistakes like every other young defenseman, but he was a far superior player than York or Dempsey was- why he sat in the press box or bench over these two, one will never know.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote