HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Pacioretty appreciation

Old
03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
HABS win CUPS*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'll just leave this right here....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=legitimate
with that in mind

he has some of the best hands in the league and one of the fastest shot releases some of his goals remind me of the old Gretzky top of the circle blasts into the top corner

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 02:31 PM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
with that in mind

he has some of the best hands in the league and one of the fastest shot releases some of his goals remind me of the old Gretzky top of the circle blasts into the top corner
uh...

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
with that in mind

No he doesn't. Gretzky??

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:55 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
No he doesn't. Gretzky??
im saying he scores from similar places on the ice most goal scorers cants like between top of the circle to the offensive zone blueline - i didnt call him gretzky

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:14 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I love that he's been playing on the PK. I really want Patches to become a reliable two way player that scores 30 goals 60 points while playing vs top lines.

I'm thinking Patrick Sharp.

He won't ever hit 50 goals. He may hit 40 once or twice. I dont see him as captain material though. Not yet anyways.
If he could keep working on his two way play, Patrick Sharp isn't out of the question, but I just see them as ultimately dissimilar players. He's already on par or better offensively than Sharp (at least goalscoring) and both are really fast.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
If he could keep working on his two way play, Patrick Sharp isn't out of the question, but I just see them as ultimately dissimilar players. He's already on par or better offensively than Sharp (at least goalscoring) and both are really fast.
Yea Max could ultimately be the better offensive player. Sharp really started to shine offensively at 25, when he scored 36 goals and 62 points. Max on the other hand scored 33 goals and 65 points at age 22, and has been shining offensively since.

Like you said, if Max can continue to work on his two way play, like Sharp did as he matured, we'll really have a gem on our hands.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Andrei79

One of the best goal scoring wingers in the league. Great pick by Timmins, who got both McDonagh and him in the 1st round.

Oh, and some guy named Subban right after.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Clumsyhab

MaxPac is now #1 in the league for game winning goals with 9!

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:50 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Max in the playoffs could be amazing. Cammalleri-like in the sense that if he gets hot he could just rack up goals.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Today's game is the perfect example of what a game changer can do (excluding goalies).

Boring game, but Pacioretty scores in the third and gives 2 pts to the Habs.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:43 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'll just leave this right here....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=legitimate
That provided some good reading for the morning.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
MaxPac is now #1 in the league for game winning goals with 9!
**** yeah Max

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

All in all, a consistent 35 goal scorer is golden in this scoring-deprived Bettman Era hockey.
Problem is Patches has never scored 35 goals in a season. Not in his minor league, college or pro career. He may or may not reach that mark this year. It's this unrealistic expectations that sends many fans declaring he's a superstar one day to he's a bum another day.

Patches has an elite shot. One of the best in the league but there are aspects of his game that are not elite and those aspects are overlooked quite often. On a Stanley Cup contender Patches is a second line winger not a first liner.

To expect Patches to be more than a 30/30 player is extremely unrealistic.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
ForeverHabs97

I feel like ever since we took Gallagher off the Desharnais Pacio line, Max has had less opportunities to score goals because both of the players were looking to set him up.

Now that he's got Vanek on his line, he seems to look for the pass to Vanek instead of just shooting like he used to.

Does anyone know his PPG when paired with Gally/Vanek?

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:38 PM
MD thaivuN
Micro Dangerous

vCash: 470
I think if Patch can manage to have strong season starts, he'd easily break 40+ goals a year

MD thaivuN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Andy

I like Pacioretty overall as a player. He's a little passive at times not in terms of physicality but in terms of overall effort. He's best when he's fighting for open ice in the slot area, though he's inconsistent in that department. His ability to clog passing lanes and intercept passes on the transition is underrated, helped by his long reach. A great scorer.

I'm not a big fan of his attitude at times, I find he pouts far too often and is a little bit of a whiner, but I don't really put much importance on that.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
ottawahabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Problem is Patches has never scored 35 goals in a season. Not in his minor league, college or pro career. He may or may not reach that mark this year. It's this unrealistic expectations that sends many fans declaring he's a superstar one day to he's a bum another day.

Patches has an elite shot. One of the best in the league but there are aspects of his game that are not elite and those aspects are overlooked quite often. On a Stanley Cup contender Patches is a second line winger not a first liner.

Here are the first line LW for cup contending teams currently: versteeg, steen, selanne, sheppard, gaborik, lucic, kunitz. Absolutely no issues with having pacioretty on a first line, and claiming he's a second line player is ridiculous.

ottawahabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Like I said in that thread, put him with a legit number one center and he'd score 40 goals. He's scoring 30 with DD. No way a guy like Getzlaff, Kopitar, Spezza doesn't get him to 40 goals.

He's not a superstar player himself but he's a legit 1st liner who could make a superstar better. I would love to see him paired with Galchenyuk next season. I think they'd be good together and I think it would help Galchenyuk's development a lot. They don't have to be welded to the hip, but I'd like to see some of that.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:02 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

if he hadn't missed those games he would've easily got 35 possibly 40.

Pacioretty has far outstripped his expectations of him when he was drafted. I remember him being more advertised as a playmaking winger. No one thought he would be one of the game's high end snipers.

Has anyone mentioned his hilariously low cap hit yet?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:01 PM
sharks9

Quote:

Oh come on, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. He had 33 in 79 in 2011-12 so it's possible he could've scored 2 in his last 3 games. This year he has 32 in only 65 games, are you saying that it really matters to you whether he scores 3 in the 8 games that we have left?

Pacioretty is top 10 in goals over the past 3 years and saying he's not a first liner on a Cup contender is just straight up wrong and embarrassing

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Noob616

Quote:
I think you're being contrarian for no good reason here. He hasn't scored 35, but he's scored 33 in 79, and currently has 32 in 65.

It really isn't a stretch or unrealistic expectation to expect him to be around the 35 goal mark most years during his prime, especially if he can play with someone better than Desharnais. Sure, he's going to be closer to 30 than 35 but this is a tad hyperbolic for what the guy was saying.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Oh come on, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. He had 33 in 79 in 2011-12 so it's possible he could've scored 2 in his last 3 games. This year he has 32 in only 65 games, are you saying that it really matters to you whether he scores 3 in the 8 games that we have left?

Pacioretty is top 10 in goals over the past 3 years and saying he's not a first liner on a Cup contender is just straight up wrong and embarrassing
Definitions either mean something or they don't. If you're going to call him a 35 goal scorer, I'd assume he has scored 35 at least once. Lo and behold, he hasn't. And if you're going to give him a mulligan well hell give him a bigger mulligan and call him a 40 goal scorer. Why stop there? let's call him a 50 goal scorer.

The reason I say he isn't a first liner on a contending team is because on a contender a coach would not tolerate his inconsistencies. With the Habs they have no choice. He's their best scorer so they give him every opportunity and put up with his inconsistent play.

Lafleurs Guy claims if you team him with a better center he'll score more. I actually believe if you team him with a better center the coach will eventually take him off the better center's wing. Patches has terrible positioning most of the time. He places himself in terrible angles and his stickhandling leaves a lot to be desired so he can't maneuver himself into a better position once he has the puck. If Lafluers Guy's statement was true he wouldn't have been relegated to the 4th line with Team USA. They would have given him that better center man. I can hear the counters now: Bylsma is an idiot.

At best Patches is a 30/30 player. Nothing to sneeze at. But let's not make him out to be something he is not. That will only create disappointments.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
elsubz

Love him but god are his passes attempts awful. Could already be at 40 if it wasn't for this.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:36 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Definitions either mean something or they don't. If you're going to call him a 35 goal scorer, I'd assume he has scored 35 at least once. Lo and behold, he hasn't. And if you're going to give him a mulligan well hell give him a bigger mulligan and call him a 40 goal scorer. Why stop there? let's call him a 50 goal scorer.

The reason I say he isn't a first liner on a contending team is because on a contender a coach would not tolerate his inconsistencies. With the Habs they have no choice. He's their best scorer so they give him every opportunity and put up with his inconsistent play.
You're over exaggerating again. It's unreasonable to say that he's a 50 goal scorer, but it's entirely reasonable to say he's a 35-goal scorer when he's at that pace over a large sample size. Besides, he still has enough time this year to hit 35 even with games missed due to injury.

All you're showing is that you know nothing about goal scorers in today's league. Show me examples of these first line wingers on cup contenders that score goals at a more consistent rate than Pacioretty. The only ones with a better GPG than him this year are Stamkos, Ovechkin, Nyquist, Perry, Steen and Pavelski, Only 3 of which I'd say are on teams that are legitimate Cup Contenders.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Andy

Quote:

At best Patches is a 30/30 player.
???

He's already surpassed that goal total twice, this year and in 2011-2012.

Also, he surpassed that point total in 2011-2012.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote