HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Old
03-25-2014, 10:10 PM
BrooksBets

vCash: 500
Poile made some questionable signings, but he made a steal of a trade for Jarnkork. This kid looks good.

BrooksBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Matte99

I was under the impression that Preds (Trotz) were very careful with rookies but giving him 3 shifts in OT and letting him go first in the shootout is hardly a sheltering coaching. I must say im a bit surprised and hope Trotz will let him into the NHL easier. As promising as he looks he clearly needs to grow into it so im a bit confused with the coaching. (maybe its just me)

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Montross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
I was under the impression that Preds (Trotz) were very careful with rookies but giving him 3 shifts in OT and letting him go first in the shootout is hardly a sheltering coaching. I must say im a bit surprised and hope Trotz will let him into the NHL easier. As promising as he looks he clearly needs to grow into it so im a bit confused with the coaching. (maybe its just me)
Uh what? He has played well against Chicago and Colorado. Why does he clearly need to grow into anything? Have you actually seen the pylons we roll out each night as forwards? Give the Hook some experience now at the end of the season, a full training camp, and let's hope he continues to grow and play well.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
If your a rookie playing OT for Trotz then your doing something right.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
The misconception is that there is all this talent waiting to be used. When we have had ready-to-go talent...

Hornqvist 1st full year in NHL: 30 goals
Radulov 1st full year in NHL: 26 goals

Yes guys like Hartnell at 18 y/o and Forseberg at 19 y/o have been on a shorter lease because they weren't ready.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfever View Post
Then why haven't posters on this board not been upset when Watson was only allowed to play 4th line and when Sissons has been stuck playing only 4th line. People only get upset about Forsberg having to play some 4th line time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfever View Post
Good question then why have Watson last year on 4th line and Sissons this year?
No one has answered, so I will.

Because prospects like Jarnkrok and Forsberg are projected to be top six forwards. Jarnkrok is a two-way guy, but Forsberg is more of a high-end offensive guy. If he is going to be in the NHL he needs to be filling that role. Putting him on a line with Clune isn't filling that role. He's filling a grinder role, which doesn't mesh with his game. If he is put in the bottom six due to lack of production he would likely be better served continuing to develop in the AHL on the top line.

Watson and Sissons are better suited for that bottom six, two-way game. Playing them with grinders isn't putting them out of place. That's the difference.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Johnz96*

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
I think this sample (although limited) shows the promise of the Iron Hook. Gaustad can teach the guy to be good in the dot, if that is is primary weakness. He helped everybody else on this team. To echo others, he did not look out of place, was not beat badly, recovered well when he was out of place, and made some good plays. For someone entirely new to the Preds system (although I don't think it is hugely different than the Wings system, just populated with far less talent) he did well. I am encouraged. And I agree with those who say Forsberg could use another year with the Ads. I think he is not quite ready yet, and do not want to ruin him.
I'm surprised he is not doing good on faceoffs, he was often dominant on the dot with the Griffins and was one of the leaders at the World Championships last year winning 58.2%.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
The misconception is that there is all this talent waiting to be used. When we have had ready-to-go talent...

Hornqvist 1st full year in NHL: 30 goals
Radulov 1st full year in NHL: 26 goals

Yes guys like Hartnell at 18 y/o and Forseberg at 19 y/o have been on a shorter lease because they weren't ready.
Hartnell is a good situation to look at with Forseberg, Harts first three years he had 2, 14 and 12 goals. Now Forsberg is a better prospect at 18 than HArts was I think we can all agree but to put him in Nashville to struggle the way Harts did is senseless. HArtnell also has a nasty side to his game that was a plus for the team theres no way FF has that in him. FF is not tearing up the AHL and is at least a year away from making the team here more likely 2 years. Shoot he could be three years away now and be the age HOOK is now breaking in. So would you rather see him develop and come into the leaguw like Hook appears to be. Ready and productive or have him here next year scoring 7 to 10 goals between 20 and 25 total points? That's a step back IMO for a guy that may be part of the answer to the problem here just not yet.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:52 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Jarnkrok has been under the Detroit umbrella in SHL/AHL for four seasons now. In any other team he would be seen as more than ready (and most lightly he was seen as ready by Detroit as well but they wanted/needed experience for this season, not the next couple of seasons).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:54 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
How has he looked? I see he has the points but does he seem strong enough? always my biggest concern about Calle...

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He looks at times like our best forward. It's clear that Smith and Jarnkrok are a step above anyone else in the offensive zone.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
I have study the game on hockeystreams.com and i have to say he´s positioning on the ice is just great. He skates well and take good decitions in the game.
I really didnt think he was this mature in the overall 2-way play. But i agree sometimes he looks way ahead of the others. BUT...rookie mistakes is there of course.. (Landeskogs first goal is all Järnkroks bad pass) and faceoff training in the offseson?
Well its not like when Philly traded P Forsberg for Lindros but i have to say Wings gave away future Solid Center depth with potential leading this Preds for many years.

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:48 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laista View Post
I have study the game on hockeystreams.com and i have to say he´s positioning on the ice is just great. He skates well and take good decitions in the game.
I really didnt think he was this mature in the overall 2-way play. But i agree sometimes he looks way ahead of the others. BUT...rookie mistakes is there of course.. (Landeskogs first goal is all Järnkroks bad pass) and faceoff training in the offseson?
Well its not like when Philly traded P Forsberg for Lindros but i have to say Wings gave away future Solid Center depth with potential leading this Preds for many years.
It has the potential to be that kind of trade. Lord knows Preds fans have waited long enough for something like this. Pray to the Hockey Gods injury or soem other setback does not derail this guy, because he is part of what this team desperately needs.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Lug

This kid is quickly turning into my favorite Pred, and it's only been 3 games. I feel like I did when Rads first came up. That shoot out goal was a thing of beauty.

Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Rookie User

His skating is so much better than it was 2-3 years ago.

I don't really know who to compare him to, perhaps Kristian Huselius but much better defensively?

2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:33 AM
SavageSteve

Basically it appears to me that Trotz is putting Calle into situations to see what he has in him as a player and to let other teams get a 'book' on him to see how he adjusts within the system. So far he has looked great, but he'll hit a wall like so many other young players do. But he does seem like he 'gets' playing both ways because figuring out how to get the puck away from the opposition and realizing you have teammates that are capable is the key to playing with the puck in their end a lot more.

Working at a university, I see so many kids that have never failed at anything in life get taken down several pegs so they can learn to adjust and accept instruction. The question is how well they can adjust (if at all)? That's realistically where the Pred's are as an organization. We are miles away from April of 2012, with the visage of Weber shaking Lidstrom's hand after a series victory over the Wings and favorite to parade Lord Stanley's Cup down Broadway.

Right now, the kids are learning to adjust from failures. If they can't adjust, we'll be more like C-bus or Florida have been in recent memory and be subject to a slow rebuild with aging veterans brought in to 'mentor' the kids and provide some offense. This staff has been successful in developing potential Cup contenders, so I feel we have that on our side if we are not impatient.

I really feel that the Pred's are realistically two years off from competing for a deep run in the West and more beyond that despite the theory that Trotz kills offense. A guy like Jarnkrok being successful here, from playing in Detroit's system that Trotz says takes kids and grows them men, are key if we want another run of success long-term rom kids learning to be men.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
WartracePred

Let's not forget that he's 22. I believe Craig Snith was 22 his rookie season as well. Although Smith has had his growing pains, he was a surprise to most Preds fans that he basically skipped the traditional seasoning in MIL. Rads did the same. Hopefully Jarnkrok is ready for Nashville at the beginning of next season. But keep in mind that he has spent the entire season in the AHL until his recall with the Preds.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Let's not forget that he's 22. I believe Craig Snith was 22 his rookie season as well. Although Smith has had his growing pains, he was a surprise to most Preds fans that he basically skipped the traditional seasoning in MIL. Rads did the same. Hopefully Jarnkrok is ready for Nashville at the beginning of next season. But keep in mind that he has spent the entire season in the AHL until his recall with the Preds.
As a 20/21 year old in college, Craig Smith scored 8 goals. 8 goals!

There was no doubt he would come into the NHL raw as a 22/23 year old.

It's actually pretty amazing that's he's turned into a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:39 PM
RomanEmpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
How has he looked? I see he has the points but does he seem strong enough? always my biggest concern about Calle...

He's looked really good. Does a good job battling for pucks, shows good awareness on the ice & is in the right place most of the time. Really excited about his future in Nashville.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:31 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

I am going to put the cart way before the horse here but: If he continues to play well and Goose is down for the count, do we keep him up here past 10 games and burn his ROY eligibility?

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Johnz96*

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
I am going to put the cart way before the horse here but: If he continues to play well and Goose is down for the count, do we keep him up here past 10 games and burn his ROY eligibility?
He can play 20 games before losing ROY eligibilty for next year.
Looks like he should be a top candidate.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:12 PM
MoserHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
His ELC can't slide, regardless in He stays here for the rest of the season ob not as he isn't a juniorplayer and already played the whole season in the AHL.

EDIT: oops, my fault. You were talking about the Calder Trophy.

MoserHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Thanks Det

Iron Hook!!!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 07:50 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
RedWingzz
#20in07

congrats to Jarnkrok on his first NHL goal. [mod] Love this guy, I now have an interest in the Preds because of him.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-27-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: discussing mod action
RedWingzz is online now   Reply With Quote