HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
03-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Pacifist Goon

vCash: 500
Depends how seriously you take yourself too. I like to play as hard and competitively as I can and am happy to match up with anyone that wants to play hard out or get up to any monkey business, but it doesn't mean you play that way against someone else that isn't.

You don't run them over to find out either.

I know it's for fun and for exercise and keeping fit, so I don't lose too much sleep over any tossers looking to put any cheap shots on. Shame to let others get the better of you in terms of giving up the game.

Live and let live, unless by mutual agreement.

Same with guys that aren't that good or struggling a bit. If you 're not going to try and help your team mates to improve and get better and just want to rag on them, you should just leave(mod edit). No one wants to play with a tool.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-27-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: phrasing
Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Lefty9420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Why not do pick-up hockey? Usually the guys are good about sportsmanship and pass more often than not. The only downside is sometimes there just isn't enough guys.

In my beer league seasons, we'll only have 2 or 3 games in over 15 a season that there's any beef on the ice at all.
I have done pick up or open hockey. Problem is that most of the rinks are so full with travel, house league, high school, mens league and figure skating that the only open hockey times are during the day when I'm at work and you normally don't get many guys. There is one guy locally who always rents the ice like on a Friday night for two hours. It's all pick-up and whoever shows up shows up, but you need to be invited. I have an in to that group now, so that's a real possibility.

Another story. So right around the time I quit the one rink was starting a new league. Basically it was to be the anti-mens league league. Instead of having teams that year after year are stacked, causing problems, ect. It would be run like house league. Pay your money and you have to show up to 2 of the 3 evals. regardless of skill level. Then predetermined captains would pick teams and that was your team for the year. Next year everyone goes back into the pool. Sounds great, except the captains just picked all their buddies. Also you could name one other person you wanted to play with. So I would name player X, who would name player Y, who would name player Z. It wasn't long that you pretty much had established teams being paired up. It folded after like 2 seasons.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:15 AM
College Cage Hang

There's a league in my area where you are graded A B C or D, then they draft the teams random each team picks A's then B's etc etc so the teams in theory should be even.

Guys who come in new do self grades and then are evaluated to ensure their grade is accurate.

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
I one timed a shot the other day and got my stick ax chopped at the moment I was shooting... snapped it in half.

I hate breaking sticks... especially on cheap plays like that. It was an S19 too, my favorite stick. I'm currently somewhat poor so I'm down to my 2 crappy sticks until I can get another one again.

I know how these things work too, I guarantee I'll break another one next game.

Beer Leaguer problems.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
HiEverybody

Got a pass at the point, and fired a wrist shot towards the net. It was deflected by a stick and hit the ref. I think he took it personally because the last 3-4 games I get man-handled, and he let's everything go against me. Then I'll stick check someone, and I get a slashing call. Does he honestly think I calculated the deflection off the oppositions stick so it would hit his fat moving ass? Honestly, people like this make showing up to 10:30 PM games more difficult than it already is....

HiEverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEverybody View Post
Got a pass at the point, and fired a wrist shot towards the net. It was deflected by a stick and hit the ref. I think he took it personally because the last 3-4 games I get man-handled, and he let's everything go against me. Then I'll stick check someone, and I get a slashing call. Does he honestly think I calculated the deflection off the oppositions stick so it would hit his fat moving ass? Honestly, people like this make showing up to 10:30 PM games more difficult than it already is....
Maybe at this point you ought to try to recreate that shot

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Pete Mitchell
"Watch the canopy!!"

Check out this horrible reffing display from my playoff game last night.
Stole the puck from the d-man at the left point of my d zone, the other d-man comes accross the ice, I lower my sholder and he hits me and bounces off and falls. I then have a clean break from center ice go in and score. This puts us in the lead 3-2. Oh but wait as we're celebrating the ref waves off the goal and calls me for interference! I've never seen an interference call on the man with control of the puck let alone allowing the penalized player skate half the ice with the puck in possesion. They score on the ensuing PP taking a 3-2 lead. We came back to win 5-3 in the end anyways (had the 3rd and 4th goals). But that was by far the worst penelty that has ever been called on me (and there has been plenty).

Pete Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
Stole the puck from the d-man at the left point of my d zone, the other d-man comes accross the ice, I lower my sholder and he hits me and bounces off and falls. I then have a clean break from center ice go in and score. This puts us in the lead 3-2. Oh but wait as we're celebrating the ref waves off the goal and calls me for interference! I've never seen an interference call on the man with control of the puck let alone allowing the penalized player skate half the ice with the puck in possesion. They score on the ensuing PP taking a 3-2 lead. We came back to win 5-3 in the end anyways (had the 3rd and 4th goals). But that was by far the worst penelty that has ever been called on me (and there has been plenty).
The fact that he let you skate down the ice and score before calling anything clearly tells us that he's a terrible ref and should resign effective immediately.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
Definitely possible. Not saying you are in the wrong in this situation, but it is possible to have control of the puck and hit someone else.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Connors View Post
Definitely possible. Not saying you are in the wrong in this situation, but it is possible to have control of the puck and hit someone else.
Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Racing into the corner and I wasn't going to let the guy beat me there or especially clobber me as I focused on the puck. I won the race, scooped up the puck, extended an arm into his chest and skated right through him. Immediate interference call

Old
03-31-2014, 04:37 PM
raptor5191
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Depends how seriously you take yourself too. I like to play as hard and competitively as I can and am happy to match up with anyone that wants to play hard out or get up to any monkey business, but it doesn't mean you play that way against someone else that isn't.

You don't run them over to find out either.

I know it's for fun and for exercise and keeping fit, so I don't lose too much sleep over any tossers looking to put any cheap shots on. Shame to let others get the better of you in terms of giving up the game.

Live and let live, unless by mutual agreement.

Same with guys that aren't that good or struggling a bit. If you 're not going to try and help your team mates to improve and get better and just want to rag on them, you should just leave(mod edit). No one wants to play with a tool.
Word.

I am a very competitive by nature guy. However, I am usually the first one to try to help out the new folks because they are the future of our sport, adult, kids...doesn't matter.

However, I love when the intensity of the game is high, even at pickup. I am not into anyone getting hurt or being stupid, but I like to skate hard if I am going to be out there. I appreciate it when others do the same, no matter what their skill level. I feel like as long as folks are getting out there and putting out that's straight up good for me. Good on em.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:38 PM
Pacifist Goon

It's not hard to pick the guy or guys on the other team looking to win the Stanley Cup and throw their weight about and be bad sports.

They're the ones I'm happy to oblige.

I had one guy on the opposition on the weekend playing defence, I was parked in front of the net and he was beating hell out out of my stick with his, chopping at the shaft.

I'm 6' 4'' 240, and he would have been about 5' 6'', probably in skates and giving up 70 or 80 pounds and he was an angry man. I decided I was going to wind him up and knock him on his ass at the first opportunity, not a blindside or freight train, just a bit of a shove to see how much angrier he could get. I don't think I came across him again after that shift though so I didn't get to tell Hockey Smurf to 'get back In the garden you gnome'.

Fun, fun, fun till someone loses an eye.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Cigar City

I've been looking for this thread for sooooo long.

Other team ties game on a deflection with 12 seconds left. Game goes to shootout.

"Captain" chooses the three players with the least amount of skill on the team. Lose 1-0. Ughhh...

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

I can't help but shake my head every time people complain about a non-call in beer league hockey, as if it really matters, and are so quiet when the call doesn't go against them. My game yesterday, the other team scored a goal early where one post was off but we didn't say anything because the post being off made no influence on the play as they scored on the far post. Later on, we scored a goal where one post was off and we scored on the opposite post and they're all complaining to the ref that it shouldn't have counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
I've been looking for this thread for sooooo long.

Other team ties game on a deflection with 12 seconds left. Game goes to shootout.

"Captain" chooses the three players with the least amount of skill on the team. Lose 1-0. Ughhh...
I don't know, it's just beer league and regular season doesn't matter (unless it was playoffs.) I'd be fine with giving some lesser players a chance. I haven't been a part of a shootout for a while, oddly enough they're still in the rules, I just very, very rarely am a part of ties. When I was captain a couple years ago, one of the guy's son (who's father wasn't even on our team or the team we were playing against) was like 18 or 19, was only playing during his summer break and was the first time he ever got to play in the same league as his father, I threw him out there because he was a good kid and to let him be a part of the action. He has gotten very good, very quickly, but he wasn't that good when he first started, he was probably average or slightly below average.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:48 AM
CunniJA

I agree. There's absolutely no problem with letting worse players shoot during the shootout in the regular season. For our playoffs that we're in right now, it's 5 minutes of 4-on-4 and then shootout. In the playoffs, we certainly always send out the best five if we get to a shootout because we're playing for extra games.

But, during the regular season, why not? If nothing else, then those players will get more experience. You already got one point anyway, so who cares?

Unless you need that home ice advantage. That would be perfectly understandable.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
MattGTI

I got absolutely blasted on a dirty hit from behind in a no check league last night.

I was playing RD, and one of our wingers was gaining their blue line, so I was at about center ice, and this big lug who was lagging behind literally mugged me from behind with a cross check. I am not a small guy(6'2" and around 210) and he buried me. I didn't see it coming, it was 100% unprovoked, and I really feel I could have been really hurt on the play. As it is, my right wrist, and right hip are in a lot of pain today, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance.

Whats the ettiquette on reacting to that? None of my teammates on the ice saw the play, most of the bench did. To be honest, I am pretty much the most laid back person in the world- and I went beserk. I went right after him, and three of his teammates got inbetween us, before my guys came over. I hadn't had even penalty in 20 games prior. I got a minor for roughing, as did he.

We play them next week. Obviously, winning the game is paramount, as is having a good time. There is part of me that just really wants to lay into this guy. Thats wrong, right? My teammates were all fine with how I reacted, and we have had a couple run ins with that guy, and a couple guys on that particular team. I would really like to just line him up and use his forward force to just send him *** over tea kettle. However part of me knows its wrong, and I shoudl just move on.
However, it was pretty much the dirtiest play we had seen in a beer league game to this point. As I said, it was entirely unprovoked.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:10 PM
wils5150

that guy's move from 2 weeks ago was pretty bush.

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
rinkrat22

for me, I wouldn't go in looking for payback. I would however be very quick to go right at him if he did something dirty and dangerous. If he just did something dirty, he'd get dirty right back. If it was something that could injure me, I'm calling him on it and if that means getting sideways then so be it. I don't go to play hockey for some fun, exercise, ball busting, and to forget about being an adult for a couple of hours not to get hurt from some tool that thinks this is for anything more.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:23 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
that guy's move from 2 weeks ago was pretty bush.
Wils, it was that other big guy on that team. He tagged me good. That team has a bunch of ********. Luckily, they aren't coming back for spring/summer session. Only a couple of their forwards and their goalie is.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
wils5150

its to bad some think its game 7 and forget people work for a living

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:46 PM
PS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I got absolutely blasted on a dirty hit from behind in a no check league last night.

I was playing RD, and one of our wingers was gaining their blue line, so I was at about center ice, and this big lug who was lagging behind literally mugged me from behind with a cross check. I am not a small guy(6'2" and around 210) and he buried me. I didn't see it coming, it was 100% unprovoked, and I really feel I could have been really hurt on the play. As it is, my right wrist, and right hip are in a lot of pain today, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance.

Whats the ettiquette on reacting to that? None of my teammates on the ice saw the play, most of the bench did. To be honest, I am pretty much the most laid back person in the world- and I went beserk. I went right after him, and three of his teammates got inbetween us, before my guys came over. I hadn't had even penalty in 20 games prior. I got a minor for roughing, as did he.

We play them next week. Obviously, winning the game is paramount, as is having a good time. There is part of me that just really wants to lay into this guy. Thats wrong, right? My teammates were all fine with how I reacted, and we have had a couple run ins with that guy, and a couple guys on that particular team. I would really like to just line him up and use his forward force to just send him *** over tea kettle. However part of me knows its wrong, and I shoudl just move on.
However, it was pretty much the dirtiest play we had seen in a beer league game to this point. As I said, it was entirely unprovoked.
Its beer league. We were playing a team that was better than our team and their best player broke out. I back checked hard and as he was coming to the face off circle i swooped in and poke checked the puck. He collided with me and went flying. Refs were watching and no call was made. Clean poke check with incidental contact. Dude was flying when he hit me.
Next play im watching the action in the corner when bam. Im laying on the ice wind knocked out of me. Guy cross checked me in the chest. As i get up he yells thats for hitting me from behind.
I look at him, crack my neck and say nice hit and skated off.
I checked with my teammates and they said it was a clean play and he hit me when i swooped in for the poke check.
Somehow i got under this teams skin.
Lots of slashes, extra body contact and a few more questionable checks on me.
My captain was saying i dont know what it is but you got under their skin so keep it up. Im a clean player. I just play hard. Last couple of minutes of the game and the captain is telling my teammates to watch my back just in case. Yeah i was nervous.

Even though theyve beaten us by a healthy margin many times we squeaked out a win.
They were so focused on getting me that they lost their cool.

I believe in just focusing on my game and dont believe in retaliation. Its beer league and i just want to play hockey. And get up for work the next day. Just play hard and sometimes other teams get frustrated because they have to work for it.

The cross check he gave me caused a mild concussion when my head hit the ice. I was woozy for a few days after that.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:57 PM
goalieboy82

what got me when i was playing was there was always one or two refs that didn't know how do ref well. they would make bad calls or didn't call offsides.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 07:05 PM
goalieboy82

plus there is always one player who thinks he* is the greatest player ever and plays each game like they are going to make the nhl. plus there is always one player who had one to many beers before they came (and one to many after).

*i say he because most of the players in the league i played in where guys (there were a few women but i never hear them say that they were the greatest ever).

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Ozz

Lost in OT in the division championship game tonight. The other team earned it, and we were down 2 men to begin OT, but we should have had it in the bag way before it came to that.

The same linemate refused to pass on no less than 5 oddman rushes/plays, saying that he's no good at passing. Unfortunately he was no good at doing anything else with the puck and so I looked like an idiot out there skating my ass off to get open for nothing.

My main part of my game is getting open for a pass, and I have one of the best shots/scoring touches on the team, but it was just ignored. At least TRY to move the puck, if you fail then you can't be blamed. But refusing? Unacceptable. At least score if you're not going to pass, then the end result is the same. No one else even made him be accountable, which further upset me. No surprise to me that we lost because of that.

Old
04-04-2014, 08:28 AM
terranraida

vCash: 50
Saw that the local ice rink was doing an ENTIRE WEEK of pick up games..

Unfortunately they're at noon and I work 6AM-2PM

terranraida is offline   Reply With Quote