HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it Time to Call up Montoya?

View Poll Results: Should we bring Montoya up for a start or two
Bring Montoya up and see what he has 18 19.15%
Wait till less then 10 games are left and where we are 30 31.91%
not this year at all 32 34.04%
trade him for a 57 year old like Brad Park 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I dont wanna flame but I question your intelligence on many posts. Henrik is killing it right now and the Rangers are wasting his contribution.
Exactly. "Catch lightning in a bottle"? The only way to improve on Lundqvist right now is to pitch a 22 game shutout streak. He has something disgusting like a 1.7 GAA and .920 save % since the All-Star break. I don't see how anyone from the A is going to improve on that. No offense to anyone or any player and I'm not saying this guy is better than that guy, but Lundqvist is "lightning in a bottle" right now.

You have to see if Weekes is moved, if Hartford is in contention, if we're in contention.. alot of factors for and against, but improving on Lundqvist is not a reason right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
I would bring Montoya up next season as the backup to Lundqvist and find a way to get rid of Weekes.
No need to find a way, he's UFA this season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:01 PM
SaveHextall

What % chances do you see Montoya making the team as a back-up next year?

I'm not sure playing 20-25 games is the best thing for him at this stage of his career.

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i wouldnt bring up montoya, hes playing very well so lets leave him be. i would keep him for the stretch run in hartford and into the playoffs, let him get used to winning big games down there. keeping both goalies wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. you could have a 2-headed monster in net.

like it or not, the Rangers are doing the right thing in building this team. from the net out. weve got a VERY solid core of defenseman coming through the pipeline, and 2 spectacular goalies both of whom are currently under 25. im pretty excited about what the next few years are going to hold for this team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
WheresBarnaby

Definetly not this year maybe next year as a backup. I was not impressed at all when he played in preseason. I'm not sure he can even play at the NHL level to be honest, and I still don't see what the big deal is with that guy? I know his AHL stats are good, but he's no Henrik Lundqvist

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I know his AHL stats are good, but he's no Henrik Lundqvist
Not yet, but he could be.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
he isn't Henrik Lundqvist ??????????? Thank freaking God maybe he doesn't drop to his knees on every shot.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
he isn't Henrik Lundqvist ??????????? Thank freaking God maybe he doesn't drop to his knees on every shot.
The defense lost this game, not Henrik. Don't be a smartass

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Dagoon44

ARe you freaking kidding me? Did you watch the game? He blew and was beat with 2 40 foot wrist shots that Steve Weeks would have stopped. Give me a break the guy was horrible tonight. The team didn't finish off the Jackets but they gave him a lead and he blew it.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:03 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
The defense lost this game, not Henrik. Don't be a smartass
Norrena WON this game for Columbus by doing what Lundqvist did not.

And has not been doing.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:09 PM
2Leetch_94

lol, has not been doing, no he's only put up the best stats since Christmas of any goaltender. (Maybe after Brodeur, not sure of his stats). And have kept the Rangers in every freakin' game. Here's an idea, let's play a full sixty minutes sometime. I heard it usually helps winning games and not letting teams hang around.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Dagoon44

Here's a stat for you Wins and loses whats Hanks look like?

Old
02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
2Leetch_94

That's almost as dumb as judging a pitcher in Baseball off his W-L record.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:16 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
lol, has not been doing, no he's only put up the best stats since Christmas of any goaltender.
Hmmm ... I'd like to see the numbers but in the end it really doesn't matter. Stats are lovely things but we all know which matter most.

Lundqvist has had three stright winnable games. He took none of them including losing a game on the skills event at which he normally excels. You suggest that the team "play a full sixty minutes sometime. I heard it usually helps winning games and not letting teams hang around."

I agree. And I think that goes as much for Lundqvist as for any player in front of him. Norrena could have lost tonight's game and no one in the world would blame him. He was peppered with quality chances. The difference between Norrena and Lundqvist tonight (as Brodeur and Lundqvist the last two) is that Norrena made ALL the key saves which Lundqvist did not.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
2Leetch_94

24/23 1392 11-10-2 45 1.94 606 561 .926 since Christmas. Not including tonight. I did these stats on the 23rd, you can double check but I don't think I've missed any games. Maybe someone like Brodeur/Luongo has put up better stats.

And I agree Lundqvist hasn't been as good as last year clearly, and he hasn't stepped up and made the key save all the time but a 1.94 GAA and .926 SV% should result in a better record than 11-10-2, maybe that's just me.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
That's almost as dumb as judging a pitcher in Baseball off his W-L record.
Last time I looked they were and also paid for it. Anthony Young was a great live arm and a can't miss Met he lost 20 straight and was gone. 1 good year means crap. Hank has been ok not great he is good for 1 softie a game and never won a money game this year and oh what was the playoff record 0-4

Old
02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
trade him for another 57 year old like brad park is what i voted...but

now that we're not going to make the playoffs id like to see him play some games in march, why the hell not. we're goign to keep lundqvist but lets see if montoya's value can go up even more. montoya for a 1st and a nice prospect who will probably bust. yay, love being a nyr fan. :takes another chug of molson XXX:

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
dedalus

Quote:
he hasn't stepped up and made the key save all the time
Thank you. My point.

Old
02-24-2007, 10:50 PM
2Leetch_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Thank you. My point.
Yes, but is he really the reason the Rangers are where they are? This team lacks a killer instint which also goes for Lundqvist this season - which they had last year until after the Olypmics where everything fell apart. The Rangers just make too many turnovers and it costs them.

Old
02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Yes, but is he really the reason the Rangers are where they are?
Of course he isn't, nor did I ever say he is.

Old
02-24-2007, 11:35 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Hmmm ... I'd like to see the numbers but in the end it really doesn't matter. Stats are lovely things but we all know which matter most.

Lundqvist has had three stright winnable games. He took none of them including losing a game on the skills event at which he normally excels. You suggest that the team "play a full sixty minutes sometime. I heard it usually helps winning games and not letting teams hang around."

I agree. And I think that goes as much for Lundqvist as for any player in front of him. Norrena could have lost tonight's game and no one in the world would blame him. He was peppered with quality chances. The difference between Norrena and Lundqvist tonight (as Brodeur and Lundqvist the last two) is that Norrena made ALL the key saves which Lundqvist did not.
Did the fact that we stopped playing our game, forechecking and attacking the goal and turned our game into a finesse game have anything at all to do with the outcome? Did you happen to notice that we control games when we play north/south. Then Jagr over extends his shifts, upsets the rotaion of the lines. Our PP kills our flow. Hockey is more of a team game than any sport I know. It takes all the guys doing there job.

Columbus collapsed around the front of their goal after the 1st and instead of contesting for the turf we fancy dan'd it and blow the game. As far as Brodeur and Lundqvist go the last two NJ / NYR games Lundqvist clearly outplayed Brodeur. Brodeur caught the breaks, Lundqvist didn't. Parise's goal had nothing at all to do with Lundqvist. He made the save, Rachunek screwed up and knocked it in his own net, the positoning of his stick was all wrong, if he touched it you could immediately see what was going to and did happen. In soccer that would be scored as an own goal. In OT I guess you would say Marty willed the Prucha shot to his the crossbar. We lost those 2 NJ games because of the breaks of the game. NJ capitialzed, we as a TEAM didn't.

Now tonight I thought Lundqvist was going down too early. That could very well be a sign that he needs a rest. Kind of like when a pitcher stops coming over the top and starts coming down. Rachunel instead of playing the body ole the play and gave up prime scoring space and Nash is not slouch. What part did Rachunek play on that play? What about Hossa or Starka who also ole it trying to check Nash. By my count that is 3/5 of the players on the ice who had an opportunity to end that play at any single time.

Lundqvist is not a sacred cow by any means. But how bad is a team when it gives up 2 short handed goals? As has been the case for most of the season the PP has been the true underlying reason why we have not been as successful as this team might have been.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:52 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
It takes all the guys doing there job.
To my knowledge, no one has ever claimed otherwise.

Quote:
Columbus collapsed around the front of their goal after the 1st
Which doesn't change the fact that Norrena successfully handled more and in some cases more challenbgin shots than Lundqvist.

Quote:
As far as Brodeur and Lundqvist go the last two NJ / NYR games Lundqvist clearly outplayed Brodeur. Brodeur caught the breaks, Lundqvist didn't.
Yes. The "unlucky" thing again. Got it. See "rabbit's foot" comment above.

Quote:
In OT I guess you would say Marty willed the Prucha shot to his the crossbar.
Errrr ... Prucha didn't have a shot in the overtime.

And I don't suppose it matters at all to your argument that the game need never have gone to overtime. Protecting its 2-goal lead would have ensured that the team need never have dealt with the "bad break" of hit crossbars.

Quote:
Rachunel instead of playing the body ole the play and gave up prime scoring space and Nash is not slouch. What part did Rachunek play on that play? What about Hossa or Starka who also ole it trying to check Nash. By my count that is 3/5 of the players on the ice who had an opportunity to end that play at any single time.
That's fine. All I'll say is this. Your argument here exactly matches those I get from Flyers fans when they tell me that Niittymaki really is an excellent goalie and the franchise's future. It's always the fault of the guys in front of him. Personally I don't let Niittymaki off the hook by accepting excuse-making, so I'm not going to play the hypocrite and offer that what's good for the goose is not just as good for the gander in Lundqvist's case.

Quote:
Lundqvist is not a sacred cow by any means.
Of course he is. Goalies of teams generally are and it becomes more so when they are young goalies. (See Niittymaki statement above.) One need only look at the visceral responses to critiques of Lundqvist to see that he is treated as a sacred cow.

Old
02-25-2007, 12:03 AM
True Blue

Much as I want to see youth imported

Montoya is not one of them. He can be in Hartford this year and next. Besides, would one really want to subject the kid to this defense?

On Henke, he certainly has not been the same exact version that he was last year. Last year, he was one of the very best in the league. A legit trophy candidate. Those type of years do not come along every single year. He seemingly could win games by him self every single night. He may have more years like it, but right now he is not. However, if last year's defense was considered mediocre, then this one can be characterized as a step below. This year, while still good and better than what many others have given even prior to his rookie year, he is not giving you the impression that he can singlehandely win every games. Although since the All-Star break, he has been much closer to his rookie form. However, the Rangers mediocre record cannot be pinned on him. He has still given the Rangers their best chance at winning a good amount of games. The problems of this team do not begin or come close to beginning with him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:33 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
lol, has not been doing, no he's only put up the best stats since Christmas of any goaltender. (Maybe after Brodeur, not sure of his stats). And have kept the Rangers in every freakin' game. Here's an idea, let's play a full sixty minutes sometime. I heard it usually helps winning games and not letting teams hang around.
but it is amazing how lundqvist always finds a way to lose 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 and the other goalie plays better.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:22 AM
SML

Yes, I think it is time to see what this kid is about. The time probably was last month, to generate some buzz about him and possibly raise his value. That said, we have a chance to do the same thing heading into the next big trade season, draft day. It's a gamble b/c if he stinks you just lost value, but I think most GM's are a bit wary to deal for a goalie that they've never seen vs. NHL competition.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
2Leetch_94

Is that Montoya's stats? If so, very impressive.

Edit: Okay, I guess Fly deleted his post, lol.