HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Girdle and shell combo

Old
03-20-2014, 02:29 PM
ccarrigan

vCash: 500
Girdle and shell combo

I had a hardish fall the other night and hit my hit pretty hard, and I've been looking to upgrade from the pants I wear now (CCMs). I don't have much knowledge in the girdle / shell arena and thought some people here might have suggestions. I play in a decent level men's league about 3-4 times a week. I don't need a TON of protection and bulk, just a bit more. Thanks!

EDIT: I think they are the U+ 04 pants.

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
gosinger

Most girdles offer similar or less protection than pants of a similar price-class (notice there are no low-cost girdles for ice out there?), with exception for the once-retail-now-pro-stock Rbk 9k girdle.

The following is my subjective ranking

Ultra protective: Rbk 9k / Jofa 9800
Very Protective: APX, TotalONE, Easton Synergy, Jofa 7500
Sufficiently Protective: Warrior Project

If you like the tight fit, a girdle is the way to go (I currently own and use 3 of the above). If it is just for protection and you prefer the loose fit, a pant might be the better fit.

Also, MSH has a ton of topics on the subject of girdles.

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
ccarrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
Most girdles offer similar or less protection than pants of a similar price-class (notice there are no low-cost girdles for ice out there?), with exception for the once-retail-now-pro-stock Rbk 9k girdle.

The following is my subjective ranking

Ultra protective: Rbk 9k / Jofa 9800
Very Protective: APX, TotalONE, Easton Synergy, Jofa 7500
Sufficiently Protective: Warrior Project

If you like the tight fit, a girdle is the way to go (I currently own and use 3 of the above). If it is just for protection and you prefer the loose fit, a pant might be the better fit.

Also, MSH has a ton of topics on the subject of girdles.
Yep, I did notice that it's $100 or nothing for ice girdles. I'll check out MSH as well. Do most shells fit various brands?

Old
03-20-2014, 04:11 PM
fryer98

I wear a Mission roller hockey girdle I paid $20 or $25 dollars for in adult league. It provides enough protection for me.

And Louisville TPS shell I got in 1999 that's in tip top shape.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

I have the Projekt girdle and some Bauer shell, and the one time I fell this season I landed right in the spot between the padding on my rear

The Projekt isn't bad, but I'd like it more if it had a bit more protection.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 10:55 AM
kadayo

Tackla Girdle

I have been using the Tackla 4000 girdle and shell combo for years. There is a 4000 and a 4500. The 4500 doesn't come up as high and has poly inserts for additional protection. The 4000 comes up higher on your rib cage and does not have poly inserts. I never had a problem being hit by shots or falling doing any damage to me.Worth looking into.

kadayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
ccarrigan

Thanks all! Are there any with cups and sock velcro? I'd rather not have to wear a jock as well if possible.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:05 PM
gosinger

Warrior Project has a cup pocket, plus you can easily add velcros (did so to my T1 as-well).

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

I have the CCM Vector and now the Bauer TotalOne

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...or-pro-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...e-core-sr.html

Ive used the CCM for a few years and the TotalOne for one month.

The CCM I think is more durable at least it seems that way as the fabric is stiffer and tougher. The Bauer on the other hand seems to have more protection.

I like both because they can be taken off with your skates on so now I enjoy lacing up my skates without having bulky pants on and plastic digging into me midsection. Plus for multi-game days such as tournaments I can get undressed without going through the hassle of removing my skates.

I have a few colours of the CCM shell but the main one I used ripped as the belt on the shell is not a full loop but stitched at the back so pulling it too tight rips the fabric which is light material as it is. I use the Tackla shell for my main shell and its bomb proof.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Brunomics

Stay away from the girdles that velcro up. I had one and eventually it stretched out. Go with the ones like the tackla 4000 or 4500.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 12:08 PM
leftwinger37

I was lucky enough to snag a 9K girdle in 2011 before you had to sell a kidney to get a brand new one. I like it and it is protective, but I don't think it's the gold standard in protection.

Have you ever thought about just upgrading your pants? You've got a lower-end model pant, so you can expect low-end protection. If you bump yourself up to a mid level pant, you'll get more protection without adding much bulk. You'll save some $$$ in the process too.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't see how you can get more protective than a 9k girdle. The thing is a tank compared to other girdles on the market.

Chau Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
I don't see how you can get more protective than a 9k girdle. The thing is a tank compared to other girdles on the market.
I'm not knocking the 9K, I own one and I really like it, but Tackla girdles are more protective.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote