HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ward on the move?

Old
02-24-2007, 05:30 PM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I'd like to see him traded for the two obvious reasons - his subpar play for most of the season, and to free up space for Girardi, Pock, Baranka, Staal, etc.

Girardi and Pock have certainly proven that they can hang with the big boys, and hopefully Staal isn't far off either.
Same here.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
YIKES we better be getting some sort of other assets.... picks or prospects
if there were some sort of Blake-Ward three way trade, the extra picks and prospects would come from the Rangers.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He got into a shouting match with Jagr? What the hell was that about? Something like that does sound like a ticket out of town for him.

I do agree that if he is traded for a UFA-to-be that it does give the Rangers some needed flexibility on the blueline come this summer.

But I've liked Ward. I can't say I've been very disappointed. He's a third pairing guy that played most of the season on the 2nd pair with Tyutin and he wasn't terrible. Just another case of the Rangers acquiring players and putting them in positions that exceed their talent level.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
bubba5

I will be interesting to see if Ward is in warmups tonight.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Gamma82

Ward isn't the player that is going to lead the Rangers into the playoffs, let alone to the Cup. If he can be used to acquire assets do it and let some of the youngsters see if they can fill the spot like Girardi has done.

If not there are players equal to Ward available every year in the UFA pool.

Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:24 PM
shoothepuck

Ward going would not be a big loss. He hasn't lived up to expectations, but what else is new about players NY picks up.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Quote:
Aaron Ward walked through the hallway downstairs dressed in a suit and long coat. It appears he’s definitely still with the club, although he’ll be scratched tonight if Karel Rachunek is healthy enough to go.

“I’ll dress seven for the warmup and then make a decision from there,” Tom Renney said.

What he wouldn’t say, however, was more interesting. He wished not to comment on the Ward situation at the present time.

“I would like to make sure I’m in the right frame of mind,” he said, later adding, “I’ll elaborate on that after (the game).”

Renney said he had other things to worry about leading up to the game and didn’t want whatever Ward’s situation is on his mind. Obviously, it’s interesting and I’ll update everyone later on what Renney says.

You should know that Renney was asked about whether this has anything to do with Ward still being a Ranger by the time the game was over and Renney said it did not.

“No, nothing like that at all.”

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Aaron Ward is not going to make or break the NYRs chances of making the playoffs. He's played like crap for well over a month. In addition he was brought in as a stop gap measure. Maybe, just maybe some of the D in Hartford are though to be ready so a good time to move someone who we acquired for nothing for something. I would rather have the pick than a player. I don't want no UFA in return. Play Pock the rest of the way. He's earned his spot. He is being much more responsib;e in his own end and he is not running up ice anymore when he has no business doing it in the 1st place. Move Rachunek too while we are at it and Nylander and Malik as well.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:55 PM
26KOCUR26*

Word is Ward and Jagr went at it

If so, I say keep him - about time someone called Jagr out for being a dog/whiner.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

26KOCUR26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26KOCUR26 View Post
If so, I say keep him - about time someone called Jagr out for being a dog/whiner.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/
Interesting...but that shouting match occured almost a month ago. This team is falling apart, as usual.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:16 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
if there were some sort of Blake-Ward three way trade, the extra picks and prospects would come from the Rangers.
you really believe blake who is signed next year for almost 3 times as much as ward holds more value? maybe in the past... but its clear blake is not the same player he was

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Block More Shots

I like Ward but I wouldn't be completely opposed to dealing him. He's a good physical defenseman but if we're out of it after the next few games, I say we deal him. We might be able to get a 2nd and a prospect for him, ya never know. We've got some nice defensemen coming up through the system so it may not be a bad idea.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

According to Renney he was sat out because he is to energetic (According to Josh http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/)

Anyone else think Renney is a moron? please, everyone is welcome aboard the Fire Renney express.

Quote:
As you also probably saw on TV, Renney wanted to sit Aaron Ward tonight because he’s sometimes too energetic. I don’t know what that means either, but this is what Renney had to say:

““I wanted him to watch one and maybe even be upset enough to come back out and play the type of game I know he can play,” Renney said. “I wanted Aaron Ward here and I still do. I think he can really help us under these circumstances.”

I don’t think many of you agree.

Anyway, I saw Ward in the hallway after the game, still dressed in his suit and wool trench coat, and asked him about how Renney said he needed to sit out a game and think about it.

He chose not to comment.

““I have no comment,” Ward said. “I can’t really say anything that would help the situation, so I have no comment.”

Does this mean there’s more to it? I’m not sure, but I would not be stunned. Would you?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The RDS report about Blake waiving his NTC was wrong.Why would Blake waive his NTC?He has his ring,a ton of money and a beautiful home on the beach in southern California.Besides his wife loves California.Why would Blake waive his NTC to go from one non-playoff team to another non-playoff team in the Rangers?There was a report on TSN early last week about Blake going to San Jose for Evgeni Nabokov who also a NTC

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:04 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
““I wanted him to watch one and maybe even be upset enough to come back out and play the type of game I know he can play,” Renney said. “I wanted Aaron Ward here and I still do. I think he can really help us under these circumstances.”

“I have no comment,” Ward said. “I can’t really say anything that would help the situation, so I have no comment.”

Does this mean there’s more to it? I’m not sure, but I would not be stunned. Would you?

So Ward's not going anywhere. Those of you who disagree, who exactly would replace him, and don't tell me untested rookies are the answer. Ward was pissed about this no doubt, but it probably was a good move on Renney's part. The team obviously was no better, if not worse without him in the lineup, but this may help him iron out his shortcomings. Which are few IMO, but he could use a game off I think. Again, I agree with Renney's ,move as far as benching him goes, by the same token he could sit most of the team.

In tonights press conference he did hint to "doing what he has to do to make this a playoff team down the stretch" so let's see what happens.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:05 AM
DutchShamrock

I thought Ward looked great against NJ. I was actually happy that he was jumping into the play and really hustling in all 3 zones.

I suppose the message is to play more like Malik. Don't hit, don't jump into the offense, don't cover any one, take your time getting up off the ice if you go down..

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"I wanted Aaron here [as a free agent] and I still do," Renney said, even as one player confirmed there was a loud verbal confrontation between the defenseman and Jagr on the Rangers' bench during the team's Feb. 3 defeat in Tampa Bay.

"There's a lot of tension here," one Ranger said. "But I wouldn't want to say that carries over into the games or has anything to do with the losses
."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02252007...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:31 AM
chosen

From the Bruins Board:
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Ward an "egotistic coward"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the words of three former teammates, one a former Bruin, that have played with him.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-25-2007 at 10:04 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
paintballruler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma82 View Post
Ward isn't the player that is going to lead the Rangers into the playoffs, let alone to the Cup. If he can be used to acquire assets do it and let some of the youngsters see if they can fill the spot like Girardi has done.

If not there are players equal to Ward available every year in the UFA pool.
ward did just win the cup last year

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:31 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I thought Ward looked great against NJ. I was actually happy that he was jumping into the play and really hustling in all 3 zones.

I suppose the message is to play more like Malik. Don't hit, don't jump into the offense, don't cover any one, take your time getting up off the ice if you go down..
Renney also menioned that Ward has gaps and mistakes in his game. I wonder if Rachunek or Malik will also be sitting for worse gaps and mistakes? Somehow, while Jagr runs the show, I tend to doubt it.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
xander

I havn'r been disatisfied with Ward this year, I just don't think he's worth his contract. He's a bottom pairing defensemen and he's not being paid like it. I'd move him for the flexibility, but I'm not going to be upset if he's still here after the deadline.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:49 PM
TomLaidlaw

Ward plays way too physical for our current defense corps. Lets bring in another Czech D man who would rather write a check then throw one. God forbid anyone verbally challenges Jagr the beacon of Leadership in professional sports. Maybe Ward was asking Jagr why he feels he is above backchecking. Sorry for the rant but this team really frustrates me sometimes. They should have a support line you can call to discuss the Rangers.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Can't really post a link, but I heard from a decently reliable source whom I'm in contact with quite frequently that Nashville is working on trying to acqure Ward from us and have been for a while (though apparantly they are really going after him HARD now).

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Can't really post a link, but I heard from a decently reliable source whom I'm in contact with quite frequently that Nashville is working on trying to acqure Ward from us and have been for a while (though apparantly they are really going after him HARD now).

Any idea of what we might get back?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

He's been our best d-man all year round but I guess if we can get something back...why not

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote