HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Flyers @ Rangers: Ryan McDoty AINEC

View Poll Results: 3 stars pls
Hank 138 75.82%
Carl Swagelin 3 1.65%
Bard Richards 3 1.65%
WJC Gold medalist JT Miller 4 2.20%
Martin Saint Lewis 2 1.10%
Derek Stepan 3 1.65%
Zuuuuuke 8 4.40%
Captain Taco Pouliot 5 2.75%
Brassgod 9 4.95%
Nash 2 1.10%
Ryan McBestPlayerEver 164 90.11%
G 21 11.54%
Rafael Salvador "El Matador" Diaz 11 6.04%
Anton Stralman 2 1.10%
Marc Staal 4 2.20%
Kevin Klein 4 2.20%
Dom Moore 23 12.64%
Derek Dorsett 40 21.98%
Brian Boyle 14 7.69%
Screw it, the entire 4th line 101 55.49%
Winnie Cooper 29 15.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2014, 11:11 PM
  #226
azaloum90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
I agree we are very lucky with our D-corps. I might even say we have the best defense in the league when looking at goaltending + the 6 defensive positions. Only Boston comes close.

We just lack the poise and talent up front to make the difference on a daily basis. Too often, our stars have an off-day.
it's too bad we didn't push for a guy like Filpulla... another #2 Centerman to work as a 1/2 punch with Stepan... Stastny is NOT going to be the guy, especially for Richards $+...

It'll be interesting to see what rangers brass goes for in regards to another centerman... as good as Stepan/Brassard/Miller/Moore sounds on paper, the on-ice product is going to suffer. Brassard is a 3C, Miller is tweener between 3 and 4C...

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:13 PM
  #227
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
it's too bad we didn't push for a guy like Filpulla... another #2 Centerman to work as a 1/2 punch with Stepan... Stastny is NOT going to be the guy, especially for Richards $+...

It'll be interesting to see what rangers brass goes for in regards to another centerman... as good as Stepan/Brassard/Miller/Moore sounds on paper, the on-ice product is going to suffer. Brassard is a 3C, Miller is tweener between 3 and 4C...
True, but just look where we are coming from.

Not too long ago, we had Boyle as our 3C and John Mitchell as our 4C. We're getting more depth and better quality up front and Stepan is just 1 or 2 years away from breaking out and becoming a solid 1C.

I really wish we would have acquired Filppula when he left Detroit.

__________________
There are two types of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data;
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
  #228
azaloum90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
True, but just look where we are coming from.

Not too long ago, we had Boyle as our 3C and John Mitchell as our 4C. We're getting more depth and better quality up front and Stepan is just 1 or 2 years away from breaking out and becoming a solid 1C.

I really wish we would have acquired Filppula when he left Detroit.
What are your thoughts on David Legwand? He's a UFA at the end of this season, and I am doubtful Detroit Resigns him with the rest of their forward corps getting healthy over the offseason... looks like a somewhat solid and consistent 50 point guy... not necessarily 2C material, but it's serviceable, and I don't see him getting a fat contract, or at least not as fat as Stastny's would be

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:18 PM
  #229
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
True, but just look where we are coming from.

Not too long ago, we had Boyle as our 3C and John Mitchell as our 4C. We're getting more depth and better quality up front and Stepan is just 1 or 2 years away from breaking out and becoming a solid 1C.

I really wish we would have acquired Filppula when he left Detroit.
Orrrr he could top out as the player he is now... right? That's definitely a possibility. I mean don't get me wrong, Step is like top-3 on my favorite Ranger list but there's always a chance he might not become the true #1C we'd want... ideally anyway.

If only Stepan had just a little more speed/acceleration. It would make him that much more dangerous.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:20 PM
  #230
azaloum90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Orrrr he could top out as the player he is now... right? That's definitely a possibility. I mean don't get me wrong, Step is like top-3 on my favorite Ranger list but there's always a chance he might not become the true #1C we'd want... ideally anyway.

If only Stepan had just a little more speed/acceleration. It would make him that much more dangerous.
I think that's the point. Rangers brass is clearly going for a Krejci/Bergeron 1-2 punch... Something like Kesler/Stepan, or stepan/Legwand, or hell, if we really think Miller can center the 3rd line, Stepan/Brassard

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:36 PM
  #231
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 50
All true, but don't forget that Stepan is only 23. He still has room to grow. Whether or not he grows, we don't know, but for a 23-year old center he's actually not too bad.

Giroux is a great player, but he only got to a 50+ season at the age of 23, just like Stepan, who is on 50 points now. Not saying Stepan will ever be as good as Giroux, but people need to realize that developing into a NHL-calibre center takes time, unless you are talented enough to be drafted as a top5 pick.

But, with the consistent competing for the play offs, we never get a pick that high.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:55 PM
  #232
TheDirtyH
Registered User
 
TheDirtyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: WA
Country: United States
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Orrrr he could top out as the player he is now... right? That's definitely a possibility. I mean don't get me wrong, Step is like top-3 on my favorite Ranger list but there's always a chance he might not become the true #1C we'd want... ideally anyway.

If only Stepan had just a little more speed/acceleration. It would make him that much more dangerous.
I was rewatching some playoff games from last season. Step just looked bigger, stronger, more assertive. It was night and day. Clearly not just some sort of hot streak. I sincerely believe that was no hot streak or illusion, but he has another level. It's not uncommon for a player to have a breakout year, take a step backward or sideways and then bust out even more. I expect that from Stepan because his strength is his head. But, at the end of the day, even if he doesn't improve and stays at this level you can do a lot worse than a 50-60 point two way centerman. That's a number 1 on most teams actually.

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:31 AM
  #233
azaloum90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyH View Post
I was rewatching some playoff games from last season. Step just looked bigger, stronger, more assertive. It was night and day. Clearly not just some sort of hot streak. I sincerely believe that was no hot streak or illusion, but he has another level. It's not uncommon for a player to have a breakout year, take a step backward or sideways and then bust out even more. I expect that from Stepan because his strength is his head. But, at the end of the day, even if he doesn't improve and stays at this level you can do a lot worse than a 50-60 point two way centerman. That's a number 1 on most teams actually.
That;s my point... get 2 of those centerman, that way you can build from the defense out and worry less about skill up the middle... Surround them with good wingers

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
  #234
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Are you happy with their response?
Yes, the Rangers were not in a position to do anything. They pushed and shoved and the officials intervened. What were they supposed to do?

Quote:
My issue with AV is he could have had Boyle and Dorsett out for the faceoff instead of Stepan and Nash. Boyle is one of the Rangers best PK'ers and you're not losing anything with Dorsett in over Nash. You're not changing up anything and actually improving the PK.
The Rangers could've put those guys out BUT who cares that they didn't? Honestly, the Rangers are playing to win the game. They are trying to prevent a power play goal. Should they forget that and focus on the POSSIBILITY that the Flyers are going to take cheap shots?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM
  #235
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
All true, but don't forget that Stepan is only 23. He still has room to grow. Whether or not he grows, we don't know, but for a 23-year old center he's actually not too bad.

Giroux is a great player, but he only got to a 50+ season at the age of 23, just like Stepan, who is on 50 points now. Not saying Stepan will ever be as good as Giroux, but people need to realize that developing into a NHL-calibre center takes time, unless you are talented enough to be drafted as a top5 pick.

But, with the consistent competing for the play offs, we never get a pick that high.
That's the thing. Most 1Cs were long shots to be 1Cs until they became those players. That's just how it works. It's extremely rare that a player is expected to be a 1C, comes into the league, and just has an easy path to that role.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 07:08 PM
  #236
I Am Classless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Falkland Islands
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
it's too bad we didn't push for a guy like Filpulla... another #2 Centerman to work as a 1/2 punch with Stepan... Stastny is NOT going to be the guy, especially for Richards $+...

It'll be interesting to see what rangers brass goes for in regards to another centerman... as good as Stepan/Brassard/Miller/Moore sounds on paper, the on-ice product is going to suffer. Brassard is a 3C, Miller is tweener between 3 and 4C...
Filppula's a good story this year; I still think Stastny's the better player and our best chance of improving the position in the short term assuming the trade market isn't too hot. In all of his weakest years production-wise he was on garbage lines on bottomfeeder teams.

Fitting him in will be difficult, though. When I tried to put it through the cap calculator we needed a lot of players on ELCs - if the organization doesn't think guys like McIlrath, Fast and Lindberg aren't ready yet we won't be players because we might need all of them. I'm kind of in two minds about it because I like Stastny, but our NHL depth is very good right now. Assuming we're being reasonable this time it also only takes one team with an outer space valuation of the guy to knock us out of it.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.