HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: Red Wings @ Predators - 2.24.07

Old
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Pred303

vCash: 500
what a frigging game of hockey, for those not there, i truly feel sorry for you.. that was about as an exciting a game of hockey as i've ever seen played in the regular season in nashville

..three bigtime goals scored tonight.. legwand's to tie, kariya's to save the game, and forsberg's to win it.. those three guys stood up and saved us tonight, leggy with 2 points, forsberg with 2 points and kariya with 3.. big players make big plays in big games.

..in between the first and the second, talked to leipold about hartnell, he told me about the broken foot, and said he'd miss 2 to 4 weeks.. when i asked him if we were going to try to get another winger before the deadline, he said "we think we're deep enough to get thru this"

..some way, somehow we have to figure out a way to stop their pp, it absolutely killed us all night. they had 14 official shots on net on their 7 pp's, and of course all 3 goals. we seemed to have no answer for holmstrom tonight in front of vokoun.

..4 even strength goals to their 0. this against one of the best even strength teams in the league. hard to fault anyone defensviely even strength.

..what an effort from a team down sully and hartnell, and then shortening the bench even more late in the game. reminded me of the effort we used to see when we were so outmanned talent wise.

...looking out there seeing all those 4th line type guys for us. nichol, smithson, tootoo, fiddler flying wildly forechecking was a sight to see. that group played their butts off, i'll hand that to them.

...what a finish. played out like a hollywood script if you're a pred fan. proud to have been there and part of it all

...i'll talk about the shortfalls tomorrow, tonight, i'm only going to think of the positives. we can worry about later, well later.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that your priority list is:
1) Winning the Central Division
2) Getting the #1 seed in the Western Conference
3) Winning the President's Trophy
4) Winning the Western Conference Title
5) Stanley Cup

You'd rather win a stupid CENTRAL DIVISION TITLE than a Stanley Cup?!? I hope that's not what you are saying, because I'd pretty much lose all respect for hockey in Nashville if fans down there want division titles above all else.....
no chronological order. when these things are awarded, that is the order in which you earn them. as i put in the orginal post the cup is the ultimate prize.

this all started because gnashville didn't want to win the presidents trophy. i guess because it is a curse. the point of the is that there are 16 teams in the POs and only 1 gets the prez trophy. for the prez winner to have won 5 of the past 20 or so cups he thinks that is a bad thing. of course i didn't bring up the fact that the prez trohpy = home ice(and considering we play better at home) and we need every edge we can get. better to go in on a roll than squeak in @#8. teams like the wings have plenty of confidence no matter where they are, i doubt we can say the same. they expect to win it all, where we merely hopeful(self fulfilling mindset). taking each of these little steps will lead to the ultimate prize(the cup). i just don't see this team turning on a switch and making a run come POs. we need to take little steps along the way.

Last edited by irisheyes555: 02-24-2007 at 11:24 PM.
irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:12 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
You'd rather win a stupid CENTRAL DIVISION TITLE than a Stanley Cup?!? I hope that's not what you are saying, because I'd pretty much lose all respect for hockey in Nashville if fans down there want division titles above all else.....

I think irisheyes555 meant 'in this order' as in chronologically how it should all play out in the best case scenario - win the division first, then the conference, then first overall in the league, the Western Conference title puts you in the Finals and then ultimately the Stanley Cup.

I don't think anyone would be crying come June if they lose the central division title but still get to bring home the Stanley Cup

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

That was an enormously fun game to attend. Aside from our playoff wins, I would probably rank that as one of the loudest/most entertaining game at the GEC in our history.

02-24-2007, 11:59 PM
preds418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
anybody know why. seems like he got it fixed came back hit a post scored in OT almost set up 2 goals in the last period. Took a penelty too. ANybody know?
Foppa said in the post game that he got hit with a puck in the leg. This caused a laceration that started bleeding. It required stitches and he was out getting stitched up...

preds418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
JussiM

Wow, sounds like hell of a game! Hopefully this will turn the ship around for good.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Crazyhorse

And he steps up and make his points when it matters the most. Why am i not surprised?

Last edited by Crazyhorse: 02-25-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:23 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
And he steps and make his points when it matters the most. Why am i not surprised?
If he can do this in the remaining Wings games let alone the playoffs I'll be very happy.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i was going to comment on some things to red wings fans in their GDT(positive things, actually, in a sporting manner)

but changed my mind when I saw the usual hillbilly talk.

and yet this thread is conspicuously devoid of "LOLZ FANS IN DETROIT ARE ALL CRACK DEALERS AND MURDERS, GO BUILD SOME CARS, DETROITERS, LOLZ" talk.

I guess the Wings fans that show up at the arena to get drunk and pick fights with little kids are a little more representative than I would have liked to believe.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Slitty

Did Vishnevski get injured, or is he merely playing poorly?

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:18 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
I knew Foppa was gonna come up big especially after someone made a 6 page thread about his fall in the shootout. I hope he doesnt get any points tommorow

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:22 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
i was going to comment on some things to red wings fans in their GDT(positive things, actually, in a sporting manner)

and yet this thread is conspicuously devoid of "LOLZ FANS IN DETROIT ARE ALL CRACK DEALERS AND MURDERS, GO BUILD SOME CARS, DETROITERS, LOLZ" talk.

I guess the Wings fans that show up at the arena to get drunk and pick fights with little kids are a little more representative than I would have liked to believe.
Honestly I was disapointed when I saw that crap but oh well it's their GDT if they want to act like that it's up to them.

Old
02-25-2007, 02:24 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
I knew Foppa was gonna come up big especially after someone made a 6 page thread about his fall in the shootout. I hope he doesnt get any points tommorow
Yeah, the lazy bum! Only one assist and a goal, who cares if it was a GWG in OT. The bum needs to produce or we're moving to Kansas City, or is it Houston??

Old
02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Is there any link to that thread available? I haven't been around lately, and i would like to be amused.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Did Vishnevski get injured, or is he merely playing poorly?
he's playing pretty well, IMO, but come to think of it, it seems like he didn't play in the second half of the game. checking the shift chart, he didn't play after the midway point of the second, so I'm guessing he's hurt.

Old
02-25-2007, 02:41 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Is there any link to that thread available? I haven't been around lately, and i would like to be amused.
It's on the NHL board section. Can't miss it.

Old
02-25-2007, 02:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Wow, looking at the shift chart, Radulov had only 8 shifts all game, and only 2 after the midway point of the 2nd period. Injury, or did he get into the doghouse again?

Heaven forbid he get a chance to show what he can do with Sullivan out. No, V-Fids is a much better fit on that second line.

PS: David Legwand is a beast.

Old
02-25-2007, 04:21 AM
Peter Angelo

Great to see Forsberg get a goal and an ot winner at that, but what a heck of a play by Kariya, the spin, the backhand pass through traffic. Terrific play. Hopefully the 1st line can build on that performance, they looked excellent yesterday.

I really hope this team doesn't suffer a letdown vs the jackets today. I always worry about b2b games following a meeting with the wings, i'd love to know the preds record in b2b games following a wings game (at least since 2004 when we become a playoff contender) if anyone is statistically orientated enough to know!

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:36 AM
lstcyr

Any one else notice that Lidstrom the leader in +/- in the NHL was -3 tonight?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:52 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Any one else notice that Lidstrom the leader in +/- in the NHL was -3 tonight?
And Legwand was +2 Kariya was +4

Did Lidstrom really play 29 1/2 minutes, and over 30 the night before?!
What a horse! His legs must have been about to fall off, no wonder he was minus three. Along with playing Nashville of course.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-25-2007 at 06:02 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:58 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

Well, I don't want to ruin the fine streak of this board staying out of that kind of trash talk, but...

I read the thread and some of them are big on calling Tennesseans 'hillbillies'. Well, I lived in Michigan for five years. You can put that state right up there (northern part anyway) with any for hillbillies per capita! Can't believe somehow Detroit is some oasis of sophistication.

Course I didn't mind all the hillnecks anyway. They're my tribe.

Old
02-25-2007, 06:16 AM
OpenWheel

Anyone else play that overtime goal over a few times, like I did?

What a pass by Kariya! A backhand laser right on the tape. And Forsberg arrived in perfect position. A really sweet goal.

Now I have to go play Leggy's goal over a few times...

Old
02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Nordic*

Homer gets a trick and is still only third star.

Has that ever happend before?

Why was Forsberg first star, was he really that good?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Pred303

yep, feels just as good this morning..

a few thoughts after a short night;

...kariya looked like kariya again. in fact he looked like the 98 kairya. that 6 game scoring streak needed to go away, and that was about as good a game as kariya has played in a pred jersey.

...what a huge goal there in the third. in effect stealing us two points. a great possession goal.. legwand with a good keepin, and then the fine cross-ice pass to an open point.. hamhuis with the perfect low, hard, point shot and kariya with the perfect defelction.. bang, tie game, just when it all looked almost over. our first late game saving goal this year, and we've had many against us.

...the first period last night was about as hard as we can play. we were creating wild scrums in front of the net. we were hustling. we were forechecking like madmen. we were hitting everything that we could get to. we were throwing pucks at the net from all angles. we had two or three guys driving to the net every shot. we easily could have been up 3-0 after 20.

...i actually thought the first goal was huge... all that hard work and nothing to show for it til then. go into the locker room then tied 0-0 after outplaying them would have been tough on the soul.

...it all kind of gets lost in the pandemonium of the win... but we tried to match legwand against datsyuk/zetterberg and arnott/forsberg against lang's line when we could... and even strength, we did a tremendous job against these guys.

...have to wonder what happened with vishnevski.. regular shifts right up until the leagwand tieing goal.. then no shifts the entire rest of the game.. don't know i he tweaked something, or if trotz simply sat him.

...what a constant jumble of lines we were forced to send out there.. first you start with only 11 forwards.. then you add in forsberg missing half a period.. then you factor in wanting to get nichol in there to take draws in the defensive zone.. then factor in a fear of radulov or tootoo getting burned defensively.. lots of constant changing going on all night.. at times we had leggy/arnott/dumont even strength lines, at times the old 9/10/11 unit.. even a forsberg/tootoo/smithson line for a shift..

...i couldn't help but laugh when i saw forseberg skate out to center tootoo and smithson. as he got ready to take the draw i was thinking, i bet forsberg is simply honored to be part of this offensive unit right here.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Radulov did not get much ice time because our checking line was enormously successful last night. Tootoo had about 3 legitimate scoring chances that were not just shots into the chest pad......he even through a beautiful cross-crease pass that (would have resulted in a goal had his wingmates been ready for it with their sticks down.

Man what a game! Kariya finally breaks out of his slump. His pass to Forsberg in OT was terrific, but the spin and protection of the puck from Datsyuk just moments before the pass were even better.

Vokoun played a good game. The first goal was frustrating because Tomas just sort of fell over allowing Holmstrom to easily just shovel it in. Besides that, the only thing that you can really comment on is that he needs to handle his rebounds better. I know Mason is a rebound goalie, but Tomas is not. Most of the rebounds that drop right in front of him, he is actually trying to hold on to. He is still a bit rusty there, so hopefully, he will get back into his groove regarding rebounds.

Zanon played good even strength (for a change), but terrible on the PK. He slid out of position about 5 times alone on the 5 on 3, and he was really killing Suter and Smithson by being 8 feet out of the position AS the low man in the triangle. To be honest, his attempted shot blocks were getting him into trouble all night. It was simply one of the classic cases of a man's greatest strength, turning into his biggest weakness.

Legwand was our best player last night. I just think its obvious that his game has hit the next level. As soon as he gets back onto Kariya's line............he scores a goal AND he sets up numerous scoring chances. It will be interesting to see if we skate him as the LW on Arnott's line until Sullivan gets back, or if we bump Radulov up.

Great game. Great crowd. The Dead things had a lot of lower bowl tickets, which is unfortunate, but it is much better than in years past.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote