HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #73|Fri., Mar. 28, 2014| Maple Leafs at Flyers| 7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
SuchySays

vCash: 500
too bad a different Phantom can't get a shot on that 2nd line.

this will not last long, Vinny will be back in his spot after a couple McGinn shifts

Old
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think at this point, this is the only "must win" game on the schedule that remains. If they lose tonight, that makes other games "must win" going forward. But right now, if they win this game, they are in the driver's seat, at least in terms of making the playoffs, not playoff positioning. If they lose tonight, things get a bit more hazy.

Old
03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How many minutes did Gus play when the Flyers beat the Pens (twice), Blackhawks, Blues, and Stars?
That's not a very good argument to make... just because a team plays well and beats good teams doesn't mean the team couldn't improve, especially when there is an obvious weak spot that's been consistently bad all year. That's like saying Crosby wouldn't make the 4th line better than Hall because Hall played when we won those 4 games.

Now if during those games Grossmann played great, that'd be a different story, but he didn't. He had the same horrible weaknesses as always with the same miniscule upside. Just look at the last two games, he's single handedly gotten us stuck in the Dzone more than any other player because he can't pass to save his life.

I could make the same flawed argument against you... how many minutes did Gus play in the two losses to the Rangers and Kings?

Old
03-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Akanon

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac
Vinny visibly pissed. Asked if he thought the move to 4C was a message to him or the team, he deferred to Berube.

Edit.

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac
Berube: "That line wasn’t doing what it was intended to do, so I made a change."

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull

Berube says he has been unhappy with Vinny's play at LW. "It wasn't working."

Last edited by Akanon: 03-28-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Wow... this may not be good... dunno...

Old
03-28-2014, 10:32 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
I think at this point, this is the only "must win" game on the schedule that remains. If they lose tonight, that makes other games "must win" going forward. But right now, if they win this game, they are in the driver's seat, at least in terms of making the playoffs, not playoff positioning. If they lose tonight, things get a bit more hazy.
The Flyers control their own destiny with respect to second seed in the Metro, so tonight's game does impact playoff positioning.

They will probably not finish higher than Montreal or Tampa, but that only matters if the Flyers meet either team in the ECF.

03-28-2014, 10:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
That's not a very good argument to make... just because a team plays well and beats good teams doesn't mean the team couldn't improve, especially when there is an obvious weak spot that's been consistently bad all year. That's like saying Crosby wouldn't make the 4th line better than Hall because Hall played when we won those 4 games.

Now if during those games Grossmann played great, that'd be a different story, but he didn't. He had the same horrible weaknesses as always with the same miniscule upside. Just look at the last two games, he's single handedly gotten us stuck in the Dzone more than any other player because he can't pass to save his life.

I could make the same flawed argument against you... how many minutes did Gus play in the two losses to the Rangers and Kings?
It was more just a jab at the way you were phrasing your last post, "just put Gus out there and we'd have a chance." As if not having Gus out there has been some difference maker. I've debated the Gus issue all year long. I have no problem with the guy playing. But saying stupid things like "put Gus out there and we'd have a chance" after the team just came off an impressive win streak against some of, if not the best, competition in the league, is why there is a perceived Gus-loving tone to this board.

Old
03-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Hiesenberg

That line at 5v5 is very questionable. I see why the move was made.

Old
03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Looking forward to the game... Who the **** knows what's going to happen at this point. This team fluctuates so much...

Old
03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
It was more just a jab at the way you were phrasing your last post, "just put Gus out there and we'd have a chance." As if not having Gus out there has been some difference maker. I've debated the Gus issue all year long. I have no problem with the guy playing. But saying stupid things like "put Gus out there and we'd have a chance" after the team just came off an impressive win streak against some of, if not the best, competition in the league, is why there is a perceived Gus-loving tone to this board.
Ohhhhh yeah the wording there was a half joke.

I really want him in but obviously he's not a game changer. It's more that I really want Grossmann out actually, it just so happens that Gus is the person who would be in if he was taken out. Honestly I don't care who it is who comes in, I just get so incredibly frustrated every time I see Grossmann attempt to move the puck

Old
03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
FlyersFan61290

This stuff with Vinny is worrisome. He said from the start that he can't play LW but that's where the Flyers need him so that's where he's been playing. The fact that he's been unsuccessful shouldn't be a surprise to the coaching staff. Now he's demoted to the 4th line and visibly upset. I mean he's a pro, he needs to get over it but I understand his frustration and to bth putting McGinn on the second in place of Vinny won't help IMO. McGinn shouldn't be in an NHL team's top 9. If he has an NHL future it's on the 4th line but to be successful in that role he needs to learn how to be better without the puck.

Old
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Ohhhhh yeah the wording there was a half joke.

I really want him in but obviously he's not a game changer. It's more that I really want Grossmann out actually, it just so happens that Gus is the person who would be in if he was taken out. Honestly I don't care who it is who comes in, I just get so incredibly frustrated every time I see Grossmann attempt to move the puck
Indeed. I would even prefer Gill in there. At least when Gill is playing he won't be getting 20 minutes a night. That is the most puzzling part of this whole situation. The fact that he's struggled and bad this season is not debatable, why won't they at least limit his minutes a bit and give someone like Schenn (who has improved from the start of the season not gotten worse) some of those minutes?

My biggest complaint with Chief so far has been his roster decisions and his lack of accountability for some of the vets.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac
Vinny visibly pissed. Asked if he thought the move to 4C was a message to him or the team, he deferred to Berube.

Edit.

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac
Berube: "That line wasn’t doing what it was intended to do, so I made a change."

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull

Berube says he has been unhappy with Vinny's play at LW. "It wasn't working."
to Berube, finally making a big boy decision !!

Vinny has to play 4th line center, or he needs to play 2nd line center with Brayden playing 1st line LW, those are the only two spots available for him imo.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
dats81

I guess that's not what Vinny had in mind when he asked Berube to put him back at center...

But in all fairness Vinny has struggled as a winger and there are not suitable sports for him at center or even RW other than 4th line right now. He just gotta try to make the best out of it...

Old
03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Indeed. I would even prefer Gill in there. At least when Gill is playing he won't be getting 20 minutes a night. That is the most puzzling part of this whole situation. The fact that he's struggled and bad this season is not debatable, why won't they at least limit his minutes a bit and give someone like Schenn (who has improved from the start of the season not gotten worse) some of those minutes?

My biggest complaint with Chief so far has been his roster decisions and his lack of accountability for some of the vets.
100% agree with everything you said, I've been saying the same thing for a while now and Berube moving 40 to the 4th line is the first sliver of hope I've had that Berube might one day figure it out. The problem is I don't believe Berube even thinks Grossmann is playing bad at all, that would explain why he isn't scratched and isn't even having his icetime limited... nothing else really makes sense. That's a huge problem in my eyes, the coach, of all people, needs to notice this.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Attaboy Chief! Your move Vinny.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Swic21

Is Orr dressing for the leafs tonight? He's always a dick when he plays a team with no enforcer. I can see Zac fighting just to shut him up lol.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Is Orr dressing for the leafs tonight? He's always a dick when he plays a team with no enforcer. I can see Zac fighting just to shut him up lol.
RIP, Rinaldo, then.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Wow... this may not be good... dunno...
It can't possibly be any worse. It's about time a change was made with Vinny. Sorry your feelings are hurt but you weren't getting anything done at LW, change was needed.

I'm more excited about having Brayden back at center where he belongs. Time to show up B Schenn.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
1. Rinaldo vs Orr...I pick Orr.
2. Vinny doesn't fit on this team, he has every right to be pissed, we courted him with allusions of playing with Giroux...he's playing with Rinaldo tonight.

Old
03-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I'm more excited about having Brayden back at center where he belongs. Time to show up B Schenn.
Hasn't he been at center for a while now, or am I just out to lunch?

Old
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
SuchySays

Schenn has been playing Center

Old
03-28-2014, 11:49 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Hasn't he been at center for a while now, or am I just out to lunch?
Yea he has. Oops I guess I've been on an extended lunch. Probably looking for an excuse as to why he's sucks too.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
G Money

lets ****in go

Old
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
RIP, Rinaldo, then.
To be fair most of the time Zac ends up fighting the outcome is "RIP Rinaldo", but he never backs down it's what he does.

Closed Thread