HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
The OP set himself for embarrassment with the title.

Unless it was some sort of reverse-jinx thread?

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
My only worry about resigning Vanek is that he's going to look for $7M+ for 4+ years. That might work well while he's 31 & 32, but by 33 you can expect his production to start declining. By the fourth year of that deal it would be a lot of money tied up in a depreciating asset.

Unless he turns out to be some freak like Selanne, but not many guys like that come along.
Why would you ever worry about what's going to happen in 3-4 years? How many players with long contracts stay with their team till the end of it? Richards, Carter, Gomez (ugh), Heatley, Gaborik... all star players (at some point anyway) that signed long term contracts and just got traded if they didn't fit anymore. And the teams that traded them got good assets in return. Rangers got Brassard, Moore and McDonaugh out of trading stars UFA that they signed. We got Fucale out of trading Cammalleri that we signed as UFA, and a 3rd for Cole.

If Vanek doesn't fit here in 3-4 years, we'll trade him. There's ALWAYS teams willing to give a second chance to a star/former star player, and teams trading them away usually get very good return. And if he stays good and we don't trade him, well we got a star player that we badly need, so all the better.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
5g 4a 9pts in 11 games with the Habs so far. We've had rough stretch around the Cali trip. Since, we've been playing better. We still have a few things to fix. However one thing is undeniable, Vanek is definitely helping out. Our 5-5 scoring has improved, so has our PP.

He's giving us chances to score, which is exactly what we needed. It may just be me, but he seems to be enjoying his time with us. I know everyone around the league believes he's going to the Wild, so did I. My hopes he re-signs here are definitely more than just dreams now. I hope we keep him longer term.
His assist on ,ax first goal was awesome. Made Kronweall look like a girl, then had the vision to see pax hiding in high slot. I have not seen a play like that in years from habs.

Offer the guy 7.5 for 6 years. That means 4 good years during our cup window, which opens next year. He's not an injury risk type of player and depends on smarts and hands as much as speed. I could see him being very effective until 34.

Normally I would say no way to long term after thirty, but Vanek may be a good candidate. Let him see what PO are like in Montreal. Bring his wife to cafes and good restaurants in the springtime, and tell her the kids can learn a new culture and french for 6 years. American Unis will like that experiencer a lot when they apply. And It's not as if Minnesota is not cold either. Then: Get the Habs wives on her side.

Comes down to the wife. And I really really dislike that. Especially as I live in Hong Kong, and visiting my family is complex and expensive. Popping first class with the kids to Minnesota to see mom once a month on a family income of 7. 5 mill is not exactly tough. We will see.

I think there might be some interesting family discussions this summer in the Vanek household if Habs do well in the PO.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Gally11

Since when is Geoff cheap when it comes to the Habs

He let MB buy out Kaberle and Gomez to improve the team

Guy is as big a Habs fan as any of us

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:28 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
Since when is Geoff cheap when it comes to the Habs

He let MB buy out Kaberle and Gomez to improve the team

Guy is as big a Habs fan as any of us
Then he'll have no problem letting his GM buy out Vanek after year 6 or 7 of the 8 year deal the Habs will likely have to offer Vanek (which no other team can) to keep him here beyond June 30.

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
LastChancePrice

Why this thread exist??? You should make a trade about the declining of Martin St.Louis instead.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 160
Vanek should hire the same agent Patch had when he signed that contract.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
The OP set himself for embarrassment with the title.

Unless it was some sort of reverse-jinx thread?
It was a reverse jinx thread.

I made a thread saying that Max Pacioretty sucked so bad. Next game he turned things around and started scoring like crazy. Hasn't looked back since.

Same result with Vanek.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Craig71

Vanek is exactly what we need, he's JAWS lurking just off shore waiting for the chance to strike just because he can.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
It was a reverse jinx thread.

I made a thread saying that Max Pacioretty sucked so bad. Next game he turned things around and started scoring like crazy. Hasn't looked back since.

Same result with Vanek.
Every time I've started to lose patience with DD and start trash talking him he's lit it up after... So I'm going to continue well into the playoffs

DD is ****

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
PricePkPatch*

I have no problem keeping making these negative anti-jinx thread

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:39 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Vanek is like Hal Gill, it's not like he can get any slower as he ages. He should still be an effective player 5 years from now.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:10 PM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
His assist on ,ax first goal was awesome. Made Kronweall look like a girl, then had the vision to see pax hiding in high slot. I have not seen a play like that in years from habs.

Offer the guy 7.5 for 6 years. That means 4 good years during our cup window, which opens next year. He's not an injury risk type of player and depends on smarts and hands as much as speed. I could see him being very effective until 34.

Normally I would say no way to long term after thirty, but Vanek may be a good candidate. Let him see what PO are like in Montreal. Bring his wife to cafes and good restaurants in the springtime, and tell her the kids can learn a new culture and french for 6 years. American Unis will like that experiencer a lot when they apply. And It's not as if Minnesota is not cold either. Then: Get the Habs wives on her side.

Comes down to the wife. And I really really dislike that. Especially as I live in Hong Kong, and visiting my family is complex and expensive. Popping first class with the kids to Minnesota to see mom once a month on a family income of 7. 5 mill is not exactly tough. We will see.
I think there might be some interesting family discussions this summer in the Vanek household if Habs do well in the PO.
7.5 for six from any team other than Minn would be a waste of the paper it was written on. imo If he decides to go to the highest bid from a cup contender, in the open market , i would guess...8+ for 7 ??? Something a little better than the Nash deal. I do not think Montreal has that kind of room cap wise or will wise ?.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 03-28-2014 at 12:16 PM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:15 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
7.5 for six from any team other than Minn would be a waste of the paper it was written on. imo If he decides to go to the highest bidder in the open market i would guess...8+ for 7 ??? Something a little better than the Nash deal. I do not think Montreal has that kind of room cap wise.
The Canadiens are the only team that can offer him an 8th year under the CBA.

Don't worry about the cap. You can always get rid of players before the season starts.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
The Canadiens are the only team that can offer him an 8th year under the CBA.

Don't worry about the cap. You can always get rid of players before the season starts.
Don't count on the Habs offering 8 years...

I don't think the Habs, assuming they want to keep Vanek and everything goes well between now and whenever the season ends, will mind paying him big money

But I don't expect term to be longer than 6 years

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Don't count on the Habs offering 8 years...

I don't think the Habs, assuming they want to keep Vanek and everything goes well between now and whenever the season ends, will mind paying him big money

But I don't expect term to be longer than 6 years
I don't agree.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't agree.
Well Price was re-signed to a 6 year term
Max Pacioretty was re-signed to a 6 year term

Pretty sure i've heard MB say he's not comfortable doing anything longer than that (not 100%, but sounds familiar).

and personally, I like this philosophy

Old
03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Smokey Thompson

I don't remember the lastforward we had who had the physical strength Vanek has.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:41 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:

Pretty sure i've heard MB say he's not comfortable doing anything longer than that (not 100%, but sounds familiar).

None of those were UFA's like Vanek. If he wants to keep Vanek, and it sounds like he wants to - he has no choice, btw, as there is no available alternative who can score like Vanek and fills an immediate need on the team - he will have to pay Vanek the premium required to keep him north of the border, in a jurisdiction where he his kids will have to go to school en Francais. It just is what it is, dude.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:44 PM
SOLR

Quote:

You offer him the best you can: it is the only way you will have a shot at him. 8 years, if that is your sacrifice to get Vanek for the next 5-6, it's all good.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
None of those were UFA's like Vanek. If he wants to keep Vanek, and it sounds like he wants to - he has no choice, btw, as there is no available alternative who can score like Vanek and fills an immediate need on the team - he will have to pay Vanek the premium required to keep him north of the border, in a jurisdiction where he his kids will have to go to school en Francais. It just is what it is, dude.
That's great and all...but MB doesn't strike me as the type who goes against what he believes

And it seems like doing 7-8 year type deals, don't fit into what he does.

I could be wrong, and you're right, Vanek is a UFA and it's a different situation

But I have my doubts

Old
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
You offer him the best you can: it is the only way you will have a shot at him. 8 years, if that is your sacrifice to get Vanek for the next 5-6, it's all good.
Yes, what is so ****ing complicated about this? Total no-brainer. This team needs Vanek for the next five years.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
That's great and all...but MB doesn't strike me as the type who goes against what he believes

And it seems like doing 7-8 year type deals, don't fit into what he does.

I could be wrong, and you're right, Vanek is a UFA and it's a different situation

But I have my doubts
He's gonna have to give PK an 8 year deal to keep him. Vanek will be good practice for him.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Price was drafted in 2005, Pacioretty in 2007. Vanek in 2003. That has to be taken into consideration.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I don't remember the lastforward we had who had the physical strength Vanek has.
Kovalev or Kostitsyn probably.

Vanek is exactly what this team need, I mean a big forward that is an incredible threat in front of the net (OMG how long this has been), with Gallagher it's starting to be hell for an opposing goaltender. Vanek is also an amazing scorer and help the team so much on 5on5. He change how opposing defensemans plays against the Habs.

I think this team is a big, physical, gritty Top 9 complimentary forward away to be set on forwards.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote